DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Minor door repair advise needed.. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/259151-minor-door-repair-advise-needed.html)

[email protected] August 31st 08 05:00 PM

Minor door repair advise needed..

The door leading into the garage was slightly damaged yesterday when
the moves bumped a furniture against the edge of the door.. The damage
is about 2 inches in length. If I hire a handyman to fix this, what
needs to be done to restore the door?

I got some pictures of the damage he
http://www.sopmedia.com/photos/IMG_0002.JPG
http://www.sopmedia.com/photos/IMG_0003.JPG
http://www.sopmedia.com/photos/IMG_0004.JPG

Thanks

RicodJour August 31st 08 05:38 PM

Minor door repair advise needed..

On Aug 31, 12:00*pm, "
wrote:
The door leading into the garage was slightly damaged yesterday when
the moves bumped a furniture against the edge of the door.. The damage
is about 2 inches in length. If I hire a handyman to fix this, what
needs to be done to restore the door?

I got some pictures of the damage hehttp://www.sopmedia.com/photos/IMG_0...s/IMG_0004.JPG

You can use Plastic Wood or Bondo to patch the divots, sand the patch
flush, then just touch-up paint it. It's no big deal, but a handyman
might charge you twenty to fifty bucks depending on where you are. I
think this is a perfect opportunity for you to save yourself some
money and learn how to make a simple repair.

willshak August 31st 08 06:11 PM

on 8/31/2008 12:00 PM said the following:
The door leading into the garage was slightly damaged yesterday when
the moves bumped a furniture against the edge of the door.. The damage
is about 2 inches in length. If I hire a handyman to fix this, what
needs to be done to restore the door?

Paint.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Phisherman[_2_] August 31st 08 10:48 PM

Minor door repair advise needed..

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 09:00:02 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

The door leading into the garage was slightly damaged yesterday when
the moves bumped a furniture against the edge of the door.. The damage
is about 2 inches in length. If I hire a handyman to fix this, what
needs to be done to restore the door?

I got some pictures of the damage he
http://www.sopmedia.com/photos/IMG_0002.JPG
http://www.sopmedia.com/photos/IMG_0003.JPG
http://www.sopmedia.com/photos/IMG_0004.JPG

Thanks

This damage does not affect the strength or operation of the door. You
could use a little Bondo, sand and paint. The biggest job might be
painting the door. Hiring a handyman to do this may cost more than
the cost of a new door.

SteveBell September 1st 08 12:47 AM

wrote:

The door leading into the garage was slightly damaged yesterday when
the moves bumped a furniture against the edge of the door.. The damage
is about 2 inches in length. If I hire a handyman to fix this, what
needs to be done to restore the door?

I got some pictures of the damage he
http://www.sopmedia.com/photos/IMG_0002.JPG
http://www.sopmedia.com/photos/IMG_0003.JPG
http://www.sopmedia.com/photos/IMG_0004.JPG

I do this type of repair all the time.
* Apply wood filler. Make sure it extends higher than the original
surface of the wood. I like Elmer's brand, because it's easy to work
and readily available.
* Let it dry overnight, or as long as the instructions say.
* Use fine sandpaper to sand the filler down to the original surface
level. Put in some grooves to match the existing fake wood grain if you
feel artsy-fartsy. :)
* Clean off all the dust.
* Paint it. You'll obviously get the best result if you paint the
whole door, but you can do a pretty good job if you thin out the paint
some and feather the edges.
* Put on another coat of paint if you can still see the filler through
the first coat.

This would only take me half an hour or so, but I would have to make
two trips to your house, so I would charge you for two hours ($80
total). I would, however, offer to fix other stuff to fill out the two
hours.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

hr(bob) [email protected] September 1st 08 01:16 AM

Minor door repair advise needed..

On Aug 31, 6:47*pm, "SteveBell"
[...]

Steve is 100% correct!!

aemeijers September 1st 08 01:45 AM

SteveBell wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Too bad you aren't up here in SW Michigan. At those rates, I have a
whole list of piddly repairs that I'll never get around to, that you
could take care of for me.

--
aem sends, not entirely joking....

SteveBell September 1st 08 03:34 AM

aemeijers wrote:

SteveBell wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Where are you in Michigan? I lived in Holland for four years, and I had
a ball performing every year at the Tulip Time Festival.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

aemeijers September 1st 08 03:41 AM

SteveBell wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

SteveBell wrote:
wrote:

[...]

An hour or so SE, in Surreal City, Battle Creek.

--
aem sends....

SteveBell September 1st 08 03:50 AM

aemeijers wrote:

SteveBell wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

SteveBell wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I drove through there once on the way east, but we didn't have time to
look around. I hear it's a nice place.

Being from Texas/New Mexico, the Winters in Holland were fun. Growing
up, I never saw more than six inches of snow at one time. Since Holland
is downwind of Lake Michigan, it gets lake effect snow, and they
average seven feet a year. One winter I had to plow my driveway every
night for two weeks. A shopping center plowed up a snowpile bigger than
my house, and it didn't melt until the end of July.

Thanks for the memories.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Jerry - OHIO September 1st 08 04:43 AM

Minor door repair advise needed..

If they were hired to move furniture and did damage they shood be lyable
for damage.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/CARWRECK