Old August 22nd 08, 05:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I haul a new water heater home on its side?

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:09:00 -0400, Blattus Slafaly
wrote:

[snip]

Hot water doesn't need heating.

No, but heating it does take less energy than heating cold water.
People do it to save on their energy bills.

Old August 22nd 08, 08:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I've always carried them laying down and have never had a problem. I
was once told that the only reason that statement is on the box is to
keep people from laying it on the side that has the controls on it.

Whatever.

Old August 22nd 08, 09:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

JC wrote:
I've always carried them laying down and have never had a problem. I
was once told that the only reason that statement is on the box is
keep people from laying it on the side that has the controls on it.

Whatever.

I suspect that it also stops people from laying it on its side and
then piling another stack of water heaters on top of it.

My air compressor had a similar warning on the box.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old August 22nd 08, 11:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 22, 8:11 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 22, 8:00 am, Big_Jake wrote:

On Aug 21, 9:54 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Aug 21, 10:45 pm, Big_Jake wrote:

On Aug 21, 10:49 am, wrote:

Do I need to take the trailer to HD to get a new water heater or can I
lay the box on its side in the bed of my truck? I have a fiberglass
topper and the heater is too tall to stand up.

The boxes say "This side up" and whatnot, but it's a water heater...
I'd like to save gas and just get the heater on the way home instead
of making a special trip.

I have never seen so much BS in a thread on this group. I have NEVER
hauled a water heater standing up, and I have installed between 35 and
50 in my lifetime. The ONLY thing that you have to watch out for is
that you don't smack the gas valve while transporting it, which is
clearly marked as "control" on one side. If the heater is electric,
you don't even have to worry about it.

JK

I have never seen so much BS in a thread on this group.

What BS?

If my math is correct, 99% of the responders either said it was OK to
haul it on it's side or made a joke about it. The only one who said to
haul it upright missed the part where the OP said he had a cap on his
truck, and then corrected himself.

Where's the BS you mention?

1) Could the anode break if it is on its side?

I know this is a question, but c'mon, the anode is a metal rod

Not BS, just an ignorant (but not stupid) question.

2)I believe that most have a glass lining...

Yeah, 30 years ago. Someone else already caught this.

Not BS, just an ignorant (but not stupid) belief

3)Avoid stresses when loading it into your truck.

Semantics perhaps, but not BS

You said it yourself: "The ONLY thing that you have to watch out for
is
that you don't smack the gas valve while transporting it"

He said stress, you said smack. You say tomaaato, I say tamotto.

(Now *that's* BS - I don't really say tamotto)

This sounds like good advice, but the box actually protects it pretty
well. The worst you might do it put a dent in it. Again, I load them
by pivoting the carton all the time, and have never damaged one. But
the real danger is pivoting it on the gas control, which is relatively
easy to damage.

4)Avoid kinking, like a cheap file cabinet or fridge...

Even if we grant you this one as a possible BS candidate, IMO a single
instance doesn't measure up to "I have never seen so much BS in a
thread on this group. "

Respect to aem, who posts all the time, but again, the heater is in a
heavy carton. Also, there is a layer of insulation between the tank
and the jacket, which makes the heater harder to dent or kink. Unlike
a file cabinet or refrigerator, you aren't like to see the dent you
put in a heater, since they are usually installed in closets,
basements, attics, utility rooms, etc.

JK- Hide quoted text -

I concede and bow to your greater patience for lame answers to
newsgroup questions.

JK
Old August 23rd 08, 01:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

If you do break a rod, you won't have any way of knowing, and it won't
'rear' it's ugly head till the tank rusts through pre-maturely...

Erik

You wouldn't hear the broken rod rattling around in the inside of the
heater as you installed it?

JK
Old August 23rd 08, 04:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 22:29:28 -0500, Uncle Monster

On Aug 21, 3:30 pm, "SteveBell"
wrote:
When you're picking up your water heater, splurge on some tie-down
ratchet straps. Put the WH upright in your pickup, and strap it in
place. You just solved both problems at once, and you have new straps
for future use.

I've got plenty of tie-down straps.

What I don't have is overhead clearance to stand the water heater
upright anywhere in the pickup. It's about 5'6" tall in the box, and
I've only got 2' of clearance under the fiberglass topper. Even
raised, I've only got 3'6" of clearance at the back of the bed.

I just checked the box a little more closely. In one warning label, it
depicts a water heater sticking out of the trunk of a car, and says,
"Avoid hauling like this, but if you must haul it like this ensure
adequate padding for the box."

So, they imply that it's okay to lay it on its side if necessary.

I'm only going about 5 miles over smooth road, and I'll drive slowly
and carefully.

BTW, nowhere in any of this have I made the mistake of calling it a
"HOT water heater," so NYAH-NYAH!!!!

It's a cold water heater, a hot water
heater is a boiler. *snicker*

[8~{} Uncle Monster

How water heaters are for those who like to cook in the shower :-)
Old August 23rd 08, 05:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Wuts a "how" water heater? Is it an American Indian
water heater? Perhaps it's a water heater that explains
what it's doing?

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Old August 23rd 08, 06:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 11:33:09 -0500, Uncle Monster
wrote:

[snip]

How water heaters are for those who like to cook in the shower :-)

Wuts a "how" water heater? Is it an American Indian
water heater? Perhaps it's a water heater that explains
what it's doing?

What it is, is the spell checker. It doesn't know when a 'w' is really
a 't'. People usually seem to figure those out, considering context.
Software can't.

[8~{} Uncle Monster