Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dumping 10 Yards of Dirt

Tomorrow several trucks will show up to dump 10 yards each of top soil along
the side of my concrete driveway. The drop is about 4" from the top of
concrete to the ground. Is there some thing I can put along the driveway to
keep the pressure of truck driving off the edge 8-12 feet to prevent
breaking the concrete? Pipe, but not metal?

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

several 2 x 4's , turned up, should do the trick. Trucks come off
the concrete, roll over the 2 x 4 pieces, and THEN drop off, and not
break anything

you may want to stake them a bit at each end, so they will not be pushed
over.....

or, a 4 x 4 placed adjacent to the part of the driveway that the
trucks will drive off of, would do fine, but also try to stake it, so that
it doesn't push over.

some bricks of the proper size would do well too.

probably the easiest/ best bet is the wood pieces

hope this helps // let us know !!

james

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 9:26*pm, "James" no wrote:
several * 2 *x * 4's * , *turned *up, *should do the trick. *Trucks come off
the concrete, roll over the *2 x 4 * pieces, and THEN *drop off, and not
break anything

Suggest you also be mindful of the weather and soil. If the soil that
you're putting the 2x4s on is moist, they may just be pushed into the
ground by the weight of the trucks and become useless after the first
truck arrives.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:56:24 -0700, "W. eWatson"
wrote:

Tomorrow several trucks will show up to dump 10 yards each of top soil along
the side of my concrete driveway. The drop is about 4" from the top of
concrete to the ground. Is there some thing I can put along the driveway to
keep the pressure of truck driving off the edge 8-12 feet to prevent
breaking the concrete? Pipe, but not metal?

I have no idea how likely damage is or how bad it would be.

Did you contract for the earth yourself, or go through a landscaper or
some other contractor. I understand the reason to do the former, but
if the latter, what does he say to do? What does your contract say
about damage to the driveway?
Posted to alt.home.repair

W. eWatson wrote:
Tomorrow several trucks will show up to dump 10 yards each of top soil
along the side of my concrete driveway. The drop is about 4" from the
top of concrete to the ground. Is there some thing I can put along the
driveway to keep the pressure of truck driving off the edge 8-12 feet to
prevent breaking the concrete? Pipe, but not metal?

Around here, to drive equipment over sidewalks and such, they lay a 4x4
at the edge, and lay one or more sheets of 5/8 or 3/4 exterior plywood
over it, going several feet over into the dirt. They even did the
plywood thing to spot a rolloff dumpster on my asphalt driveway, when I
had the roof replaced. (And now that I think about it, that area is more
cracked than the rest of the driveway anyway...)

Are you sure trucking company will even drive on your driveway? Many
decline to put tandem-axle dumps on thin concrete, at least not without
a waiver. Around here, I see a lot dumped at base of driveway, and they
tell you where to rent a bobcat. And is there headroom over your
driveway for them to raise the bed? No utility drops or anything like that?

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

W. eWatson wrote:

Tomorrow several trucks will show up to dump 10 yards each of top soil
along the side of my concrete driveway. The drop is about 4" from the top
of concrete to the ground. Is there some thing I can put along the
driveway to keep the pressure of truck driving off the edge 8-12 feet to
prevent breaking the concrete? Pipe, but not metal?

I would have the first truck partially open his dump gate and spread layers
and cover that edge with a thick layer of top soil. I would be very careful
about letting any truck on your concrete drive.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

evodawg wrote:
W. eWatson wrote:

Tomorrow several trucks will show up to dump 10 yards each of top soil
along the side of my concrete driveway. The drop is about 4" from the top
of concrete to the ground. Is there some thing I can put along the
driveway to keep the pressure of truck driving off the edge 8-12 feet to
prevent breaking the concrete? Pipe, but not metal?

I would have the first truck partially open his dump gate and spread layers
and cover that edge with a thick layer of top soil. I would be very careful
about letting any truck on your concrete drive.

Yes, wood seems to be a good choice. I found some 2x10" by 10' that I think
will be satisfactory. The reason for the "rush job" is that I'm getting this
dirt somewhat free from a construction site. I pay $95/hr for loading and
delivery, time. The soil is dry here. I'm told by a guy in the h/w store
that driveways (no curbs) usually have more concrete poured under the edges.
Yep, got some rods to hold the board in place. All in all I think I can
maneuver them to areas where the driveway sides do not drop off. All except
one place, which is where the board will be useful.

I'm really at the mercy of them. They were supposed to delivery this
morning, but got behind schedule. They put it off until the afternoon. Same
problem. Tomorrow, I hope. They really have a lot going on now. A week ago
when the promised me they were mostly into grading, and forgot about me. Now
they are hell bent to put in the foundations. 80K square foot building on a
hillside.

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/