Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Good source for overstock or lightly used cabinets in Boston area?

I want to add some storage cabinets in my basement both near the
laundry sink to store various paints and cleaners and in my shop
itself to store tools and parts.

My thinking is that I would be better off buying a good quality
kitchen-type cabinet that is either an overstock or cosmetically
damaged or even used than buying a new home center type workshop
cabinet. I don't care much about color or style but more about quality
and of course getting a size that fits and meets my needs.

Any ideas on good sources in general and in the Boston area in
particular?

I went to an outlet store (Grossman's) and their stuff is just cheap
stuff that they order regularly rather than overstock or odd lots.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:

My thinking is that I would be better off buying a good quality
kitchen-type cabinet that is either an overstock or cosmetically
damaged or even used than buying a new home center type workshop
cabinet. I don't care much about color or style but more about quality
and of course getting a size that fits and meets my needs.

Any ideas on good sources in general and in the Boston area in
particular?

Post a wanted ad on Craigslist?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:
I want to add some storage cabinets in my basement both near the
laundry sink to store various paints and cleaners and in my shop
itself to store tools and parts.

My thinking is that I would be better off buying a good quality
kitchen-type cabinet that is either an overstock or cosmetically
damaged or even used than buying a new home center type workshop
cabinet. I don't care much about color or style but more about quality
and of course getting a size that fits and meets my needs.

Any ideas on good sources in general and in the Boston area in
particular?

I went to an outlet store (Grossman's) and their stuff is just cheap
stuff that they order regularly rather than overstock or odd lots.

Thanks

Habitat for Humanity ReStore, where they sell donated ripout material
and donated old stock/floor samples from real supply houses. Stock
changes constantly, so you may need to make it a weekly stop for several
weeks, but odds are something suitable will turn up. And their prices
are great.

Craig's List website is also usually a good spot. They even have a
'material' category where most of the building material seems to show up.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Many years ago I found that a local cabinet company had an inventory of
"oops" cabinets. Plumbing access hole in the wrong side, custom cabinets
that were too big or too small for the intended space. Call around and ask.
I did a whole laundry room that way with hanging units and floor cabinets.

Charlie

"blueman" wrote in message
I want to add some storage cabinets in my basement both near the
laundry sink to store various paints and cleaners and in my shop
itself to store tools and parts.

My thinking is that I would be better off buying a good quality
kitchen-type cabinet that is either an overstock or cosmetically
damaged or even used than buying a new home center type workshop
cabinet. I don't care much about color or style but more about quality
and of course getting a size that fits and meets my needs.

Any ideas on good sources in general and in the Boston area in
particular?

I went to an outlet store (Grossman's) and their stuff is just cheap
stuff that they order regularly rather than overstock or odd lots.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"blueman" wrote in message
I want to add some storage cabinets in my basement both near the
laundry sink to store various paints and cleaners and in my shop
itself to store tools and parts.

My thinking is that I would be better off buying a good quality
kitchen-type cabinet that is either an overstock or cosmetically
damaged or even used than buying a new home center type workshop
cabinet. I don't care much about color or style but more about quality
and of course getting a size that fits and meets my needs.

Any ideas on good sources in general and in the Boston area in
particular?

I went to an outlet store (Grossman's) and their stuff is just cheap
stuff that they order regularly rather than overstock or odd lots.

Thanks

Something to consider! I remodeled our kitchen about 20 years ago and the
old top cabinets still reside in my garage for storage. They are not high
quality but they still look and work fine.

Keep in mind that these prefab type cabinets and especially the cheaper ones
do not/may not have adjustable shelving. Mine have fixed shelving and I
cannot stack 2, 1 quarts cans on top of each other and as a result the
wasted space is considerable.
Additionally the upper cabinets tend to be shallow as compared to a cabinet
you might build for the purposes you are looking for.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"blueman" wrote:

I want to add some storage cabinets in my basement both near the
laundry sink to store various paints and cleaners and in my shop
itself to store tools and parts.

Checked used office furniture outlets for 4 high filing cabinets.

Lew