DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Teflon tape: male end inaccessible (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/258157-teflon-tape-male-end-inaccessible.html)

Aaron Fude August 17th 08 03:37 PM

Teflon tape: male end inaccessible

Hi,

I have removed a jet from my shower system to clean out some debris.
Now I have a hard time putting it back on. The reason is that the jet
has "female threads" while the male threads on the pipe are so deeply
recessed into the tile that it is impossible to wrap teflon tape
around it. How would one solve a problem like that? Is there a "brush-
on" teflon tape alternative?

Many thanks in advance!

dpb August 17th 08 03:40 PM

Aaron Fude wrote:
recessed into the tile that it is impossible to wrap teflon tape
around it. How would one solve a problem like that? Is there a "brush-
on" teflon tape alternative?

Sure...pipe "dope" compound. What was used long before there was such a
thing as teflon.

RicodJour August 17th 08 06:27 PM

On Aug 17, 10:37*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have removed a jet from my shower system to clean out some debris.
Now I have a hard time putting it back on. The reason is that the jet
has "female threads" while the male threads on the pipe are so deeply
recessed into the tile that it is impossible to wrap teflon tape
around it. How would one solve a problem like that? Is there a "brush-
on" teflon tape alternative?

Teflon tape _is_ the alternative. The original, and many still think
best, is the brushable pipe dope.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...145828034.html

Red Green August 19th 08 05:42 AM

Teflon tape: male end inaccessible

Aaron Fude wrote in news:4f31914d-5932-402d-835c-
:

Hi,

I have removed a jet from my shower system to clean out some debris.
Now I have a hard time putting it back on. The reason is that the jet
has "female threads" while the male threads on the pipe are so deeply
recessed into the tile that it is impossible to wrap teflon tape
around it. How would one solve a problem like that? Is there a "brush-
on" teflon tape alternative?

Many thanks in advance!

"Pipe dope" and there's also "Rectorseal T plus 2"

z August 19th 08 08:13 AM

Teflon tape: male end inaccessible

On Aug 17, 10:37*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have removed a jet from my shower system to clean out some debris.
Now I have a hard time putting it back on. The reason is that the jet
has "female threads" while the male threads on the pipe are so deeply
recessed into the tile that it is impossible to wrap teflon tape
around it. How would one solve a problem like that? Is there a "brush-
on" teflon tape alternative?

Many thanks in advance!

and, i think the loctite folks, make a liquid teflon pipeseal stuff,
like loctite.