DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Rough beveled edge face on Travertine cuts? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/258156-rough-beveled-edge-face-travertine-cuts.html)

jc August 17th 08 03:36 PM

Rough beveled edge face on Travertine cuts?

Rough beveled edge face on Travertine cuts?

We are tiling the terrace and Gazebo floor with some Travertine. The
Tiles come in odd shapes (a pattern) and the edges of the tiles are
rough cut rustic beveled.. They are a perfect 90 degrees, but the face
edge is beveled rough,

Is there any tool or technique to simulate the same rough edge bevel
on the cuts we perform? If not, we might end up with some edges rough
beveled and some with a razor edge. Another concern with a razor edge
the risk of bodily harm. Travertine is a solid rock so one plus is
that if over time the edges chip or wear it will continue to have a
very natural look.

Thanks for any help or information!

jc August 17th 08 04:10 PM

Rough beveled edge face on Travertine cuts?

I just read up on this.. The process is called chiseled edge. and the
process is called chipping. I can't find any machine that will do this
on the job site.. also should it be done before or after the the cut
tile is set over the edge?

http://www.travertineexpert.com/edging.htm

Anybody know?

RicodJour August 17th 08 06:25 PM

On Aug 17, 10:36*am, jc wrote:
Rough beveled edge face on Travertine cuts?

We are tiling the terrace and Gazebo floor with some Travertine. The
Tiles come in odd shapes (a pattern) and the edges of the tiles are
rough cut rustic beveled.. They are a perfect 90 degrees, but the face
edge is beveled rough,

Is there any tool or technique to simulate the same rough edge bevel
on the cuts we perform? If not, we might end up with some edges rough
beveled and some with a razor edge. Another concern with a razor edge
the risk of bodily harm. Travertine is a solid rock so *one plus is
that if over time the edges chip or wear it will continue to have a
very natural look.

Thanks for any help or information!

I don't know how much you have to do, but I've used old rasps and
files on travertine (it's pretty soft stuff) when I have to match tile
edges when tiling a bathroom. You could also use an angle grinder
with a diamond blade, a belt sander or even a drill with a carborundum
bit.