Posted to alt.home.repair

Default remove adhesive from wall?

We just moved into our new house and the previous owner had some
squares of cord/bark mounted on one of the walls. With alot of effort
we removed all of the squares, but they were held on with somethign
like liquid nails. I scaped off alot of this adhesive and smoothed it
out but there is still plenty on the wall. I'd like to make that wall
smooth and paint over it.

Some people have told me I need to get all of the old adhesive off.
Others have told me to just put a skim coat of plaster over it and
then sand and paint it. To remove the old adhesive will be really
tough...the stuff is really on there.

Should I remove it or could I just plaster over it?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 8:15*am, Mash wrote:
We just moved into our new house and the previous owner had some
squares of cord/bark mounted on one of the walls. With alot of effort
we removed all of the squares, but they were held on with somethign
like liquid nails. I scaped off alot of this adhesive and smoothed it
out but there is still plenty on the wall. I'd like to make that wall
smooth and paint over it.

Some people have told me I need to get all of the old adhesive off.
Others have told me to just put a skim coat of plaster over it and
then sand and *paint it. To remove the old adhesive will be really
tough...the stuff is really on there.

Should I remove it or could I just plaster over it?

If you have plaster over it there will be a bump in the wall.

Try removing the adhesive with something like Goo Gone.
http://www.googone.com/googone/faq.aspx

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mash" wrote in message
We just moved into our new house and the previous owner had some
squares of cord/bark mounted on one of the walls. With alot of effort
we removed all of the squares, but they were held on with somethign
like liquid nails.

Should I remove it or could I just plaster over it?

Both. No way you can go over it and have it come out looking good as it
will leave bumps. It is possible to remove it and fill the recesses though.
In any case, it is a real PITA job. It may be just as easy to add a 3/8"
drywall over the existing wall and start with a clean smooth surface.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Mash wrote:
Should I remove it or could I just plaster over it?

You'll need to get the surface flat one way or the other.

I'd try a heavy putty knife w/ sharp, not blunt edge and see if could
just slice under the globs, not worrying much (as in any) about gouges
as they can be filled easily.

If there's too much of it or it doesn't go fast enough to suit, I'd
simply cut out that section of wallboard back to nearest pair of studs
(find them and make straight cut down the middle) and replace it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

goo gone or goof off is amazing stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2008 7:13 AM Edwin Pawlowski spake thus:

"Mash" wrote in message
We just moved into our new house and the previous owner had some
squares of cord/bark mounted on one of the walls. With alot of effort
we removed all of the squares, but they were held on with somethign
like liquid nails.

Should I remove it or could I just plaster over it?

Both. No way you can go over it and have it come out looking good as it
will leave bumps. It is possible to remove it and fill the recesses though.
In any case, it is a real PITA job. It may be just as easy to add a 3/8"
drywall over the existing wall and start with a clean smooth surface.

If you're going to go that route (re-rocking the wall), why not use 1/4"
drywall? I've used it over plywood.

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the responses.

If I do just put some drywall up over there is one issue. The areas in
question are on either side of a big stone fireplace. It would be a
real pain to cut the drywall to match up to all of the stones, they
are large irregular stones. Could I just cut the drywall so it's, say,
1/2" from the fireplace and then spread joint compound or something in
between the fireplace and the drywall?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mash wrote:
Thanks for the responses.

If I do just put some drywall up over there is one issue. The areas in
question are on either side of a big stone fireplace. It would be a
real pain to cut the drywall to match up to all of the stones, they
are large irregular stones. Could I just cut the drywall so it's, say,
1/2" from the fireplace and then spread joint compound or something in
between the fireplace and the drywall?

Thanks

A good trick for that is to use J-channel to give the drywall a crisp
edge, and some sort of grout or paint to make the old layer of wall
behind it vanish.
--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mash" wrote in message
We just moved into our new house and the previous owner had some
squares of cord/bark mounted on one of the walls. With alot of effort
we removed all of the squares, but they were held on with somethign
like liquid nails. I scaped off alot of this adhesive and smoothed it

There's a tube of stuff that will remove Liquid Nails, it works, kind of.
Can't think of what the name is but it's available probably anywhere that
Liquid Nails is. It isn't Goo Gone.

You could do what I did to a wall that had a bunch of 12" square mirrors
glued to it: get as much of the glue off as possible, then paint it with
some kind of texture (sand-like substance) mixed into the paint. It tends to
hide the existing imperfections.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2008 7:24 PM Mash spake thus:

Thanks for the responses.

If I do just put some drywall up over there is one issue. The areas in
question are on either side of a big stone fireplace. It would be a
real pain to cut the drywall to match up to all of the stones, they
are large irregular stones. Could I just cut the drywall so it's, say,
1/2" from the fireplace and then spread joint compound or something in
between the fireplace and the drywall?

No. That's the lazy way out. It'll look crappy and you'll regret it.

It is some work cutting to an irregular contour, but it's doable by
almost anyone with the patience. Get yourself some big pieces of
cardboard. Cut them (utility knife, scissors, whatever) to match the
stones. Use them as templates to mark the drywall. Cut the contour with
a wallboard saw. Takes a little longer but will look *much* better (you
can impress your friends).

When done, you'll want to use caulk, not mud, to fill whatever gap there
is (joint compound will impossible to get off the stones), then paint.

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a
wasteland.' But Lyndon Johnson said: 'No! No! No! Don't you dare do
that. Let ME do it.'"

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 3:47�am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

� will bomb the cities of Vietnam, defoliate the jungles, herd the
� population into concentration camps and turn the country into a
� wasteland.' But Lyndon Johnson said: 'No! No! No! Don't you dare do
� that. Let ME do it.'"

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".

Had the same problem, was advised to forget trying to remove glue,
almost impossible. Eventually used a solvent remover and scrapper
needed a bit of time but worked. Finished with a light sand and then
sealed the plaster.

Posted to alt.home.repair

gobears81 had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ll-325460-.htm
:
I moved into a new home where the previous owner had put 27 mirrors on her
wall
above the master bed. Each mirror had three pieces of foam adhesive (81
pieces of
adhesive). I tried water, isopropyl alcohol, Fantastic 409, Goo Gone, and
Goof
Off.

After trying many combinations, here's the best combination I could come
up with:
1) Spray Goo Gone on a rag and wipe immediately over the adhesive.
2) Wipe around softly for 1-2 seconds.
3) Wait 1 minute
4) Use a dry area of the rag/t-shirt to rub vigorously on the wall.

Do not use Goof Off unless you are planning on repainting.

Good luck!