Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing bathroom faucet question?

I am replacing my bathroom faucets. I've done this before, but this time I
can't seem to budge the nuts on the bottom of the old faucet handles.
There's barely enough room to get any of my wrenches on there, but when I do
I can't seem to get them turning. Is there any tool that I can use that
would make this job easier or am I going to have to take the counter top off
in order to get this done? Thanks.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe B." wrote in
:

I am replacing my bathroom faucets. I've done this before, but this
time I can't seem to budge the nuts on the bottom of the old faucet
handles. There's barely enough room to get any of my wrenches on
there, but when I do I can't seem to get them turning. Is there any
tool that I can use that would make this job easier or am I going to
have to take the counter top off in order to get this done? Thanks.

Joe

Is it a plastic nut or metal. Assume metal?

Tried a basin wrench?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/16/2008 5:31 PM Red Green spake thus:

"Joe B." wrote in
:

I am replacing my bathroom faucets. I've done this before, but this
time I can't seem to budge the nuts on the bottom of the old faucet
handles. There's barely enough room to get any of my wrenches on
there, but when I do I can't seem to get them turning. Is there any
tool that I can use that would make this job easier or am I going to
have to take the counter top off in order to get this done? Thanks.

Is it a plastic nut or metal. Assume metal?

Tried a basin wrench?

That's the tool to use. If you buy one, get a good one, not a cheap one.

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe B. wrote:
I am replacing my bathroom faucets. I've done this before, but this time I
can't seem to budge the nuts on the bottom of the old faucet handles.
There's barely enough room to get any of my wrenches on there, but when I do
I can't seem to get them turning. Is there any tool that I can use that
would make this job easier or am I going to have to take the counter top off
in order to get this done? Thanks.

Joe

If the nuts are old, corroded zinc ones, even the
basin wrench may not budge them.

In that case, chuck a long drill bit in the drill
and drill a couple of holes in the edge of the nut.
Don't worry about damaging the faucet threads.

When the drill has weakened the nut enough, the
nut can be split or pried apart.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Aug 16, 7:43*pm, Speedy Jim wrote:
Joe B. wrote:
I am replacing my bathroom faucets. *I've done this before, but this time I
can't seem to budge the nuts on the bottom of the old faucet handles.
There's barely enough room to get any of my wrenches on there, but when I do
I can't seem to get them turning. *Is there any tool that I can use that
would make this job easier or am I going to have to take the counter top off
in order to get this done? *Thanks.

Joe

* * If the nuts are old, corroded zinc ones, even the
* * basin wrench may not budge them.

* * In that case, chuck a long drill bit in the drill
* * and drill a couple of holes in the edge of the nut.
* * Don't worry about damaging the faucet threads.

* * When the drill has weakened the nut enough, the
* * nut can be split or pried apart.

Jim

Either that or a dremmel never leaves my case good for toilet bolts
too .
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go to Home Depot to see if I can find a
basin wrench. If that doesn't work, I'll move on to the dremmel.

Joe

"Claude Hopper" wrote in message
Joe B. wrote:
I am replacing my bathroom faucets. I've done this before, but this time
I can't seem to budge the nuts on the bottom of the old faucet handles.
There's barely enough room to get any of my wrenches on there, but when I
do I can't seem to get them turning. Is there any tool that I can use
that would make this job easier or am I going to have to take the counter
top off in order to get this done? Thanks.

Joe

You can cut the faucet connectors off with a Dremmel cutoff wheel. Replace
the lines, shut off valves along with the faucet.

--
Claude Hopper ? 3 7/8

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/16/2008 7:53 PM Joe B. spake thus:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go to Home Depot to see if I can find a
basin wrench. If that doesn't work, I'll move on to the dremmel.

You might want to look for a Dremel instead.

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a
wasteland.' But Lyndon Johnson said: 'No! No! No! Don't you dare do
that. Let ME do it.'"

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 8/16/2008 7:53 PM Joe B. spake thus:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go to Home Depot to see if I can find a
basin wrench. If that doesn't work, I'll move on to the dremmel.

You might want to look for a Dremel instead.

Perhaps someone more powerful like a grinder. You have to destroy the
faucet from the top down. A Dremel would like a bit of time just to
remove a "frozen" nut.

A good basin wrench is needed to put in the new faucet anyway so ...
..