Posted to alt.home.repair

Default roofing nail pops - temp fix?

Reading the other post about nail pops in the roof brought up this
question for me. I have nail pops too, but only in one area - maybe
half a dozen or so in a 6 X 6 foot area. Yes they leak when it rains.
I do NOT want to get a new roof yet. What's a good way to patch
these? The sheathing is old shiplap siding (1X8's, I think). -- H
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 5:13*pm, Heathcliff wrote:
Reading the other post about nail pops in the roof brought up this
question for me. *I have nail pops too, but only in one area - maybe
half a dozen or so in a 6 X 6 foot area. *Yes they leak when it rains.
I do NOT want to get a new roof yet. *What's a good way to patch
these? *The sheathing is old shiplap siding (1X8's, I think). -- H

The link offered in the previous discussion deals with repair of nail
pop holes...

http://www.askthebuilder.com/487-Roo...t-Pop-Up.shtml
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Heathcliff" wrote in message
Reading the other post about nail pops in the roof brought up this
question for me. I have nail pops too, but only in one area - maybe
half a dozen or so in a 6 X 6 foot area. Yes they leak when it rains.
I do NOT want to get a new roof yet. What's a good way to patch
these? The sheathing is old shiplap siding (1X8's, I think). -- H

Personally, I am a little surprised at the nature of the replies in the
initial thread.

A few nail pops are quite common on a house that has been re-roofed by a
careless contractor. They sometimes happen even on the best of jobs. They
really are not a big deal if dealt with as soon as noticed. The damaged
shingle and popping nail is removed and replaced.

Five years after the initial install I had a single nail pop on a re-roof.
The shingle was pulled and replaced and there have been no problems for 10
additional years. Almost time for a new roof now.

If you are looking for a cheap, quick, 3-5 year fix, pound down the
offending nail, lift the tab and apply a dab of roofing cement. Doing it
under the tab keeps it from being ugly. A wide blade drywall knife (putty
knife) helps you lift the tab with no damage.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 8:39*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure why you are surprised.

The question in the initial thread was not "how to repair nail pops".
That's the question asked in *this* thread.

In the initial thread, I specifically asked about the best way to re-
roof a house with nail pops - tear-off or add a 2nd layer. That's the
question that was asked, and that's the question that was answered.

Although I didn't mention them in my post, there are other reasons why
I am considering a re-roof, which is why I worded the question as I
did.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 10:31*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

In the initial thread, I specifically asked about the best way to re-
roof a house with nail pops - tear-off or add a 2nd layer. That's the
question that was asked, and that's the question that was answered.

Although I didn't mention them in my post, there are other reasons why
I am considering a re-roof, which is why I worded the question as I
did.

Well, when I take into account the reasons you didn't mention, I don't
feel so bad about giving advice based on reasons I didn't mention.
Bwahahahahah!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Aug 12, 8:39 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Heathcliff" wrote in message

In the initial thread, I specifically asked about the best way to re-
roof a house with nail pops - tear-off or add a 2nd layer. That's the
question that was asked, and that's the question that was answered.

I came in late on that thread.

IMO the only way to re-roof a house is a complete tear off every time. this
allows you to find and fix little problems before they become big ones.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 5:07 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 12, 5:13 pm, Heathcliff wrote:

Reading the other post aboutnailpopsin theroofbrought up this
question for me. I havenailpopstoo, but only in one area - maybe
half a dozen or so in a 6 X 6 foot area. Yes they leak when it rains.
I do NOT want to get a newroofyet. What's a good way to patch
these? The sheathing is old shiplap siding (1X8's, I think). -- H

The link offered in the previous discussion deals with repair ofnail
pop holes...

http://www.askthebuilder.com/487-Roo...t-Pop-Up.shtml

This weekend I did something similar to what is recommended on that
website. I bought a caulking-gun tube of roofing cement, cut up some
roofing felt into 2 by 4 inch rectangles, collected some washed-off
granules from the gutter, and went up there. There were 6 or 8 nails
that had popped up. All of the nails were loose enough to just pull
out by hand, and that is what I did. (I will monitor to see if any
shingles come loose as a result, but I am not too worried about it).
I put a blob of roofing cement on each side of a piece of felt, then
shoved it up under the shingle to cover where the hole was. (I did
not fold the felt over, as recommended on the website - didn't see the
point of that.) Then I pressed down on the shingle, which would cause
excess cement to ooze up out of the hole. Then I sprinkled the oozed-
up cement with granules and patted it down a bit -- at first with a
putty knife, but later just with my fingers since I was thoroughly
mucked up with tar anyway. So it looks OK, but I will have to wait
until the next downpour to see if it worked to fix the leaks. -- H