DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Boiler slowly leaking (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/257388-boiler-slowly-leaking.html)

NJC August 7th 08 02:53 AM

Boiler slowly leaking

I have had my 20 or so year old Burnham RSM/98 boiler off since April. Now
I am seeing some water on the floor. Not much - about a cup a day.

I have heard that there is cast iron in older boilers that may leak when
cold. Is my only choice to turn it back on or is there a gasket or
something I can replace. Or since it is leaking now, am I now required to
replace something?

I have not had it on because I have been practically out of oil since April
(Live in NH) and oil company wants a min of 150 gallons ($600). I couldn't
shell out the cash just to have it sit in the tank all summer so I am not
planning to get a delivery until about Sept/Oct.

ransley August 7th 08 02:41 PM

Boiler slowly leaking

On Aug 6, 8:53*pm, "NJC" wrote:
I have had my 20 or so year old Burnham RSM/98 boiler off since April. *Now
I am seeing some water on the floor. *Not much - about a cup a day.

I have heard that there is cast iron in older boilers that may leak when
cold. *Is my only choice to turn it back on or is there a gasket or
something I can replace. *Or since it is leaking now, am I now required to
replace something?

I have not had it on because I have been practically out of oil since April
(Live in NH) and oil company wants a min of 150 gallons ($600). *I couldn't
shell out the cash just to have it sit in the tank all summer so I am not
planning to get a delivery until about Sept/Oct.

There might be stop leak products as used in auto radiators, but plan
on a new unit. Find the leak, it could be a pipe fitting rusting out.
Take off the cover you should see it.

ransley August 7th 08 02:42 PM

Boiler slowly leaking

On Aug 6, 8:53*pm, "NJC" wrote:
I have had my 20 or so year old Burnham RSM/98 boiler off since April. *Now
I am seeing some water on the floor. *Not much - about a cup a day.

I have heard that there is cast iron in older boilers that may leak when
cold. *Is my only choice to turn it back on or is there a gasket or
something I can replace. *Or since it is leaking now, am I now required to
replace something?

I have not had it on because I have been practically out of oil since April
(Live in NH) and oil company wants a min of 150 gallons ($600). *I couldn't
shell out the cash just to have it sit in the tank all summer so I am not
planning to get a delivery until about Sept/Oct.

Dont allow any fresh water to enter now, new water is full of oxygen.

Paul Flansburg August 7th 08 04:57 PM

Boiler slowly leaking

On Aug 6, 9:53*pm, "NJC" wrote:
I have had my 20 or so year old Burnham RSM/98 boiler off since April. *Now
I am seeing some water on the floor. *Not much - about a cup a day.

I have heard that there is cast iron in older boilers that may leak when
cold. *Is my only choice to turn it back on or is there a gasket or
something I can replace. *Or since it is leaking now, am I now required to
replace something?

I have not had it on because I have been practically out of oil since April
(Live in NH) and oil company wants a min of 150 gallons ($600). *I couldn't
shell out the cash just to have it sit in the tank all summer so I am not
planning to get a delivery until about Sept/Oct.

RMB has the answer. The sections of a cast iron boiler have O-Rings
that expand when hot/warm and contract when cool. This is why your
leaking. Just for a test, start the boiler up for a few days and see
if the leaking stops.

-paul

ransley August 7th 08 09:30 PM

Boiler slowly leaking

On Aug 7, 10:57*am, Paul Flansburg wrote:
On Aug 6, 9:53*pm, "NJC" wrote:

[...]

I have had 50 yr old section boilers that didnt leak in summer, you
cant generalise a leak, it is an old boiler. He needs a pro out.

Big_Jake August 8th 08 08:45 PM

Boiler slowly leaking

On Aug 6, 8:53 pm, "NJC" wrote:
I have had my 20 or so year old Burnham RSM/98 boiler off since April. Now
I am seeing some water on the floor. Not much - about a cup a day.

I have heard that there is cast iron in older boilers that may leak when
cold. Is my only choice to turn it back on or is there a gasket or
something I can replace. Or since it is leaking now, am I now required to
replace something?

I have not had it on because I have been practically out of oil since April
(Live in NH) and oil company wants a min of 150 gallons ($600). I couldn't
shell out the cash just to have it sit in the tank all summer so I am not
planning to get a delivery until about Sept/Oct.

Is it possible that the overflow (pressure relief) is leaking? They
are a common failure part.

JK

Paul Flansburg August 19th 08 07:11 PM

Boiler slowly leaking

On Aug 7, 4:30*pm, ransley wrote:
On Aug 7, 10:57*am, wrote:

On Aug 6, 9:53*pm, "NJC" wrote:

[...]

cant generalise a leak, it is an old boiler. He needs a pro out.- Hide quoted text -

Not always the case. If the boiler is considered a warm start boiler
then if turned off they can leak due to the O-Rings shrinking when
cold. As for a cold start boiler, this is not the case.

Anyways, was looking for OP to perform the suggested test.

-paul