Posted to alt.home.repair

Default size of pipe to shower riser?

I am roughing-in a shower. I have 1/2" pex to the diverter. If I put
a large pipe on the riser (diverter to shower head, that is) is that a
problem? I was planning on putting in 3/4 copper on the riser from
the diverter.

Thanks,

mh

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike" wrote in message
I am roughing-in a shower. I have 1/2" pex to the diverter. If I put
a large pipe on the riser (diverter to shower head, that is) is that a
problem? I was planning on putting in 3/4 copper on the riser from
the diverter.

Thanks,

mh

Use what fits. Won't be a hindrance, won't be an advantage. The shower
head is the controlling factor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 10:24*pm, Mike wrote:
I am roughing-in a shower. *I have 1/2" pex to the diverter. *If I put
a large pipe on the riser (diverter to shower head, that is) is that a
problem? *I was planning on putting in 3/4 copper on the riser from
the diverter.

Thanks,

mh

1/2 is good enough,no harm from 3/4 if that's what you have. I bet the
shower valve is fitted for 1/2
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 11:07*pm, beecrofter wrote:
On Jul 28, 10:24*pm, Mike wrote:

I am roughing-in a shower. *I have 1/2" pex to the diverter. *If I put
a large pipe on the riser (diverter to shower head, that is) is that a
problem? *I was planning on putting in 3/4 copper on the riser from
the diverter.

Thanks,

mh

1/2 is good enough,no harm from 3/4 if that's what you have. I bet the
shower valve is fitted for 1/2

The diverter up to the shower is female 3/4 NPT. So, I could put in a
converter to 3/4 copper or 1/2 copper. Does it matter which one I
do?

mh

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 7:24*pm, Mike wrote:
I am roughing-in a shower. *I have 1/2" pex to the diverter. *If I put
a large pipe on the riser (diverter to shower head, that is) is that a
problem? *I was planning on putting in 3/4 copper on the riser from
the diverter.

Thanks,

mh

A larger pipe from valve to shower head will very marginally increase
the time it takes to change water temperature.

Why 3/4"? I just plumbed my shower with PEX & used 1/2" PEX valve
to shower head.....seems to work fine.

New shower heads & valves tend to have some sort of flow limiting
features so you really don't need a large pipe to service the flow.

My opinion...in this case smaller is better......shower head is most
likely the limiter.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike" wrote in message
I am roughing-in a shower. I have 1/2" pex to the diverter. If I put
a large pipe on the riser (diverter to shower head, that is) is that a
problem? I was planning on putting in 3/4 copper on the riser from
the diverter.

3/4" will make adjusting the temp slower. You will have to wait longer for each
change to reach the shower head.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 29, 9:49*am, "Bob F" wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message

I am roughing-in a shower. *I have 1/2" pex to the diverter. *If I put
a large pipe on the riser (diverter to shower head, that is) is that a
problem? *I was planning on putting in 3/4 copper on the riser from
the diverter.

3/4" will make adjusting the temp slower. You will have to wait longer for each
change to reach the shower head.

Yup, a little slower.....about a second or so depending on
instantaneous shower head flow rate.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobK207" wrote in message
On Jul 29, 9:49 am, "Bob F" wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message

I am roughing-in a shower. I have 1/2" pex to the diverter. If I put
a large pipe on the riser (diverter to shower head, that is) is that a
problem? I was planning on putting in 3/4 copper on the riser from
the diverter.

3/4" will make adjusting the temp slower. You will have to wait longer for
each
change to reach the shower head.

Yup, a little slower.....about a second or so depending on
instantaneous shower head flow rate.

Since "low flow" shower heads are almost standard these days......

Shower inlet pipe size? A.Lee UK diy 3 November 25th 07 08:30 PM
Shower Riser Bracket Schrodinger's cat UK diy 2 September 17th 06 12:15 PM
Mains riser, pipe specs, help? Matthew UK diy 3 May 17th 05 05:54 PM
Need tread size for 8" riser steps. Mikepier Home Repair 10 April 9th 05 02:21 PM
Eep - shower pump, what size pipe? Simon Avery UK diy 1 December 2nd 03 09:52 AM