DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Splitting retaing blocks (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/256368-re-splitting-retaing-blocks.html)

RicodJour July 25th 08 02:30 PM

Splitting retaing blocks

On Jul 24, 11:43*pm, "Bill Stock" wrote:
I'd like to split some retaing blocks in half, so that they would be half
the height of the original blocks. These would become capstones for another
project. The stones are 4" high by 8" deep and (9" and 6") wide. I'd happily
pay someone to split these for me (30 blocks) assuming they did a decent job
and I could not buy a machine cheaper.

Any thoughts on the right toy to cut these? I gather something wet would be
best, but anything I've seen would require two cuts. An 8" depth of cut is
required. The 14" cutoff saw looks interesting, but would still require two
cuts and be a tad dusty.

The cutoff saw is about the only way of doing it and you probably
won't be happy with the results. A brick saw won't have enough depth
of cut, but would leave a cleaner cut and have less dust but more mud.

It would be a lot easier just to pop for the cap stones, particularly
if you did a halfway decent job with the wall. It doesn't make sense
to try to save a few bucks and botch up the most visible part of the
project.