DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Bathroom exhaust fan combo (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/256316-bathroom-exhaust-fan-combo.html)

Pete[_6_] July 24th 08 10:37 PM

Bathroom exhaust fan combo

I did not notice that the master bath did not have an exhaust fan until
after I closed.
The ceiling has a light fixture, so I could install a combo fan/light unit.
But I wonder
how those work. This bathroom is on the second floor with an attic above
it, so
alternatively I could install a separate fan and leave the light as is
Either way I will
wire everything together to save installing a second switch on the wall.
Anyone
have comments on combo fan/light units? Lowes has a Harbor Breeze Aster
unit
that looks promising.

Pete

RBM[_2_] July 24th 08 11:00 PM

Bathroom exhaust fan combo

"Pete" wrote in message
. ..
I did not notice that the master bath did not have an exhaust fan until
after I closed.
The ceiling has a light fixture, so I could install a combo fan/light
unit. But I wonder
how those work. This bathroom is on the second floor with an attic above
it, so
alternatively I could install a separate fan and leave the light as is
Either way I will
wire everything together to save installing a second switch on the wall.
Anyone
have comments on combo fan/light units? Lowes has a Harbor Breeze Aster
unit
that looks promising.

Pete

They come with or without. Take your pick

[email protected] July 24th 08 11:20 PM

Bathroom exhaust fan combo

Tony[_13_] August 3rd 08 05:42 AM

Bathroom exhaust fan combo

Pete wrote:
I did not notice that the master bath did not have an exhaust fan until
after I closed.
The ceiling has a light fixture, so I could install a combo fan/light unit.
But I wonder
how those work. This bathroom is on the second floor with an attic above
it, so
alternatively I could install a separate fan and leave the light as is
Either way I will
wire everything together to save installing a second switch on the wall.
Anyone
have comments on combo fan/light units? Lowes has a Harbor Breeze Aster
unit
that looks promising.

Pete

You can get any combination of light, exhaust fan, heater, and night
light. You probably would want to replace the ceiling light fixture with
a fan-light combination unit. You can wire both the fan and light to one
switch, and they will, of course, operate together.

A better way is to put the fan on a timer so it can run for a half-hour
or so after you leave and shut the door, to help reduce the humidity and
resulting mildew, dry rot, and rust in the bathroom. Of course, this
would require a two-gang box and a new 3-wire-plus-ground (12-3G) cable
from the box to the fixture.

The quality is generally inversely related to the noise and price. If
this is your residence, and you own it, I would spring for an
extra-quiet model.