DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fluorescent light problem (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/255972-fluorescent-light-problem.html)

---MIKE--- July 20th 08 08:38 PM

Fluorescent light problem

My bathroom light consists of a 12" ring with an 8" ring inside. At
times it won't come on and at other times it works just fine. When it
fails, a heat lamp on the same switch does work. I have replaced both
rings but that doesn't help. I don't see a ballast or starter but I
haven't looked inside the fixture. What could the problem be?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

RBM[_2_] July 20th 08 10:05 PM

Fluorescent light problem

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
My bathroom light consists of a 12" ring with an 8" ring inside. At
times it won't come on and at other times it works just fine. When it
fails, a heat lamp on the same switch does work. I have replaced both
rings but that doesn't help. I don't see a ballast or starter but I
haven't looked inside the fixture. What could the problem be?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

In the canopy of the fixture is a "circleline" ballast for 1-32 watt T-12
and 1-20 watt T-12 lamp. It's probably not worth replacing, I'd get a new
fixture

HeyBub[_3_] July 20th 08 10:23 PM

Fluorescent light problem

---MIKE--- wrote:
My bathroom light consists of a 12" ring with an 8" ring inside. At
times it won't come on and at other times it works just fine. When it
fails, a heat lamp on the same switch does work. I have replaced both
rings but that doesn't help. I don't see a ballast or starter but I
haven't looked inside the fixture. What could the problem be?

Sometimes a florescent fixture acts like this because of a crappy ground.

May not be your problem, but it's cheap to check.

[email protected] July 21st 08 01:42 AM

Fluorescent light problem

On Jul 20, 3:38*pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
My bathroom light consists of a 12" ring with an 8" ring inside. *At
times it won't come on and at other times it works just fine. *When it
fails, a heat lamp on the same switch does work. *I have replaced both
rings but that doesn't help. *I don't see a ballast or starter but I
haven't looked inside the fixture. *What could the problem be?

* * * * * * * * * ---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

* (44° 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

I agree with the two comments. 1. Possible bad ground issue. 2.
Ballast bad, above the parts you can see. I also agree that replacing
it may be the best idea, but remember that you will need a fixture
large enough to cover the area under the old one. That area likely is
now a different color than the rest of the ceiling.

Phisherman July 21st 08 02:14 AM

Fluorescent light problem

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 15:38:38 -0400,
(---MIKE---) wrote:

My bathroom light consists of a 12" ring with an 8" ring inside. At
times it won't come on and at other times it works just fine. When it
fails, a heat lamp on the same switch does work. I have replaced both
rings but that doesn't help. I don't see a ballast or starter but I
haven't looked inside the fixture. What could the problem be?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

If it's old, it could be a bad starter. If the switch is ON and the
ring won't light, lightly brush the ring using your hand--does this
work? Closely inspect contacts and connections for any corrosion,
evidence of sparking, or loose connections. Not sure how long you
want to troubleshoot, or just replace the fixture and be done with it.