Old July 19th 08, 05:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Minimum Distance By Law that A/C unit must be from Neighbor

Anyone if there's usually a building code that dictates how close you
are allowed to place an air conditioning unit to the dividing wall
between you and the neighbor?

I'm not getting a permit (I'm not sure if its required), but I don't
wan't my neighbor complaining of noise so I want to make sure I stay
within specs!

Old July 19th 08, 06:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Jul 18, 10:50*pm, benn wrote:
Anyone if there's usually a building code that dictates how close you
are allowed to place an air conditioning unit to the dividing wall
between you and the neighbor?

I'm not getting a permit (I'm not sure if its required), but I don't
wan't my neighbor complaining of noise so I want to make sure I stay
within specs!

Around this neck of the woods it is 3 ft minium.
Old July 19th 08, 06:29 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"benn" wrote in message
Anyone if there's usually a building code that dictates how close you
are allowed to place an air conditioning unit to the dividing wall
between you and the neighbor?

I'm not getting a permit (I'm not sure if its required), but I don't
wan't my neighbor complaining of noise so I want to make sure I stay
within specs!

Here it is 10' from the property line. Better check local codes though. In
some towns I've seen them just inches away.

Old July 19th 08, 06:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"benn" wrote in message
Anyone if there's usually a building code that dictates how close you
are allowed to place an air conditioning unit to the dividing wall
between you and the neighbor?

I'm not getting a permit (I'm not sure if its required), but I don't
wan't my neighbor complaining of noise so I want to make sure I stay
within specs!

You would stand a much better chance of getting a really helpful reply if
you told us what continenet you were on. Providing country,
state/province/municipaly would even be better.

Also, have you given any thought about asking the building officials in your
own municipality (who might even have a clue about what the 'right' answer
is for you?) instead of a bunch of strangers on the internet?

Old July 19th 08, 06:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Brown" wrote in message
el...

I'm not getting a permit (I'm not sure if its required), but I don't
wan't my neighbor complaining of noise so I want to make sure I stay
within specs!

You would stand a much better chance of getting a really helpful reply if
you told us what continenet you were on. Providing country,
state/province/municipaly would even be better.

Also, have you given any thought about asking the building officials in
your own municipality (who might even have a clue about what the 'right'
answer is for you?) instead of a bunch of strangers on the internet?

Also, these things are rather municipality specific. What applies in my
town likely does not apply in your town.

Old July 19th 08, 01:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

What is the distance between you and your neighbors house, and what
kind of wall are we talking about?
If this is a CAC system, most new ones are quiet to begin with.
Old July 19th 08, 02:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 20:50:23 -0700 (PDT), benn
wrote:

Anyone if there's usually a building code that dictates how close you
are allowed to place an air conditioning unit to the dividing wall
between you and the neighbor?

I'm not getting a permit (I'm not sure if its required), but I don't
wan't my neighbor complaining of noise so I want to make sure I stay
within specs!

Location of a central A/C unit is based on local codes. Some cities
require all A/C units to be behind the house. An experienced
certified installer should be familiar with local codes.
Old July 19th 08, 02:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 10:50*pm, benn wrote:
Anyone if there's usually a building code that dictates how close you
are allowed to place an air conditioning unit to the dividing wall
between you and the neighbor?

I'm not getting a permit (I'm not sure if its required), but I don't
wan't my neighbor complaining of noise so I want to make sure I stay
within specs!

Getting a permit gets you a free inspection to be sure you got a
quality job, codes vary on location to a neighbors house.
Old July 19th 08, 03:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"benn" wrote in message
Anyone if there's usually a building code that dictates how close you
are allowed to place an air conditioning unit to the dividing wall
between you and the neighbor?

I'm not getting a permit (I'm not sure if its required), but I don't
wan't my neighbor complaining of noise so I want to make sure I stay
within specs!

Get a permit and have the work inspected. Your neighbor could always call
town hall and tell them about the installation even though it is code
compliant.

Old July 19th 08, 06:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

Anyone if there's usually a building code that dictates how close you
are allowed to place an air conditioning unit to the dividing wall
between you and the neighbor?

I'm not getting a permit (I'm not sure if its required), but I don't
wan't my neighbor complaining of noise so I want to make sure I stay
within specs!

Here it is 10' from the property line. Better check local codes though.
In some towns I've seen them just inches away.

Depends on the area. In Japan, units are made to install along a thin
walkway/porch almost flush to the house!

Most stateside units are to be 1 ft from your house and at least 10 from the
neighbor but I do not know if that's just where I've been, or the units I've
seen most often are like that. Oh, and a permit is required where I am.