DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Minimum Distance By Law that A/C unit must be from Neighbor (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/255863-minimum-distance-law-c-unit-must-neighbor.html)

benn July 19th 08 05:50 AM

Minimum Distance By Law that A/C unit must be from Neighbor

Anyone if there's usually a building code that dictates how close you
are allowed to place an air conditioning unit to the dividing wall
between you and the neighbor?

I'm not getting a permit (I'm not sure if its required), but I don't
wan't my neighbor complaining of noise so I want to make sure I stay
within specs!

jim July 19th 08 06:18 AM

On Jul 18, 10:50*pm, benn wrote:
Anyone if there's usually a building code that dictates how close you
are allowed to place an air conditioning unit to the dividing wall
between you and the neighbor?

I'm not getting a permit (I'm not sure if its required), but I don't
wan't my neighbor complaining of noise so I want to make sure I stay
within specs!

Around this neck of the woods it is 3 ft minium.

Edwin Pawlowski July 19th 08 06:29 AM

"benn" wrote in message
Anyone if there's usually a building code that dictates how close you
are allowed to place an air conditioning unit to the dividing wall
between you and the neighbor?

I'm not getting a permit (I'm not sure if its required), but I don't
wan't my neighbor complaining of noise so I want to make sure I stay
within specs!

Here it is 10' from the property line. Better check local codes though. In
some towns I've seen them just inches away.

Doug Brown July 19th 08 06:46 AM

"benn" wrote in message
Anyone if there's usually a building code that dictates how close you
are allowed to place an air conditioning unit to the dividing wall
between you and the neighbor?

I'm not getting a permit (I'm not sure if its required), but I don't
wan't my neighbor complaining of noise so I want to make sure I stay
within specs!

You would stand a much better chance of getting a really helpful reply if
you told us what continenet you were on. Providing country,
state/province/municipaly would even be better.

Also, have you given any thought about asking the building officials in your
own municipality (who might even have a clue about what the 'right' answer
is for you?) instead of a bunch of strangers on the internet?

Doug Brown July 19th 08 06:53 AM

Minimum Distance By Law that A/C unit must be from Neighbor

"Doug Brown" wrote in message
el...

I'm not getting a permit (I'm not sure if its required), but I don't
wan't my neighbor complaining of noise so I want to make sure I stay
within specs!

You would stand a much better chance of getting a really helpful reply if
you told us what continenet you were on. Providing country,
state/province/municipaly would even be better.

Also, have you given any thought about asking the building officials in
your own municipality (who might even have a clue about what the 'right'
answer is for you?) instead of a bunch of strangers on the internet?

Also, these things are rather municipality specific. What applies in my
town likely does not apply in your town.

Mikepier July 19th 08 01:52 PM

Minimum Distance By Law that A/C unit must be from Neighbor

What is the distance between you and your neighbors house, and what
kind of wall are we talking about?
If this is a CAC system, most new ones are quiet to begin with.

Phisherman July 19th 08 02:08 PM

Minimum Distance By Law that A/C unit must be from Neighbor

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 20:50:23 -0700 (PDT), benn
wrote:

Anyone if there's usually a building code that dictates how close you
are allowed to place an air conditioning unit to the dividing wall
between you and the neighbor?

I'm not getting a permit (I'm not sure if its required), but I don't
wan't my neighbor complaining of noise so I want to make sure I stay
within specs!

Location of a central A/C unit is based on local codes. Some cities
require all A/C units to be behind the house. An experienced
certified installer should be familiar with local codes.

ransley July 19th 08 02:30 PM

On Jul 18, 10:50*pm, benn wrote:
Anyone if there's usually a building code that dictates how close you
are allowed to place an air conditioning unit to the dividing wall
between you and the neighbor?

I'm not getting a permit (I'm not sure if its required), but I don't
wan't my neighbor complaining of noise so I want to make sure I stay
within specs!

Getting a permit gets you a free inspection to be sure you got a
quality job, codes vary on location to a neighbors house.

John Grabowski July 19th 08 03:38 PM

"benn" wrote in message
Anyone if there's usually a building code that dictates how close you
are allowed to place an air conditioning unit to the dividing wall
between you and the neighbor?

I'm not getting a permit (I'm not sure if its required), but I don't
wan't my neighbor complaining of noise so I want to make sure I stay
within specs!

Get a permit and have the work inspected. Your neighbor could always call
town hall and tell them about the installation even though it is code
compliant.

cshenk July 19th 08 06:18 PM

Minimum Distance By Law that A/C unit must be from Neighbor

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

Anyone if there's usually a building code that dictates how close you
are allowed to place an air conditioning unit to the dividing wall
between you and the neighbor?

I'm not getting a permit (I'm not sure if its required), but I don't
wan't my neighbor complaining of noise so I want to make sure I stay
within specs!

Here it is 10' from the property line. Better check local codes though.
In some towns I've seen them just inches away.

Depends on the area. In Japan, units are made to install along a thin
walkway/porch almost flush to the house!

Most stateside units are to be 1 ft from your house and at least 10 from the
neighbor but I do not know if that's just where I've been, or the units I've
seen most often are like that. Oh, and a permit is required where I am.

cshenk July 19th 08 06:24 PM

Minimum Distance By Law that A/C unit must be from Neighbor

"John Grabowski" wrote
"benn" wrote in message

I'm not getting a permit (I'm not sure if its required), but I don't
wan't my neighbor complaining of noise so I want to make sure I stay
within specs!

Get a permit and have the work inspected. Your neighbor could always call
town hall and tell them about the installation even though it is code
compliant.

Correct. For example, we already know once our unit 'bites the big one' we
have to have structural work done. The footer it is on, is no longer in
specs (has to be bigger and higher now than when it was installed). To have
the heat pump portion worked on (in the garage) we also have to have the hot
water heater reinstalled as it's on a loose brick base (legal back then and
still safe but no longer in codespecs). Hot water heater is next to the
furnace portion.

If we want to sell the house, we probably will have to have the hot water
heater on a proper riser.

[email protected] July 19th 08 07:25 PM

On Jul 18, 11:50*pm, benn wrote:
Anyone if there's usually a building code that dictates how close you
are allowed to place an air conditioning unit to the dividing wall
between you and the neighbor?

I'm not getting a permit (I'm not sure if its required), but I don't
wan't my neighbor complaining of noise so I want to make sure I stay
within specs!

You really want to get that permit. Failure to do so, could mean
that your neighborr's complaint could force you to remove it, even if
it otherwise meets code.

Codes are local and we can't really give you the advice you need.
A local attorney and a local HVAC pro should be able to answer your
questions properly, but you will pay for that advice.

cshenk July 19th 08 07:39 PM

Minimum Distance By Law that A/C unit must be from Neighbor

wrote

Codes are local and we can't really give you the advice you need.
A local attorney and a local HVAC pro should be able to answer your
questions properly, but you will pay for that advice.

Not nessecarily. I've gotten many a free simple question like this answered
over the phone. It works like this: Hi, I am considering several options
for an AC unit replacement and have some basic questions before asking for
an official visit and estimate. Due to my house being close to a neighbors,
can you tell me if 'x' feet is enough room to have the external section
added? Or do I need to investigate other options in which case I may need
to have a landscaper first due to design of backyard'. He can probably get
a fast answer for his local code just on the footage required.

He's apt to be told it depends on how big the unit is but a standard one for
his size house needs 'x' feet from his wall, and 'x' feet after it before
the neighbors wall.

Ok, back to work for me. Break over ;-)

Jim[_100_] March 16th 21 03:01 PM

Minimum Distance By Law that A/C unit must be from Neighbor

My next door neighbor just put in a new 18,000 BTU Split unit & put the out side blowing device 4 feet from blowing powerful air under our car Port were we entertain. Is that ok when they put ant poison down & blow it at us ?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...or-319797-.htm

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] March 16th 21 03:32 PM

On 3/16/2021 10:01 AM, Jim wrote:
My next door neighbor just put in a new 18,000 BTU Split unit & put the
out side blowing device 4 feet from blowing powerful air under our car
Port were we entertain. Is that ok when they put ant poison down & blow
it at us ?

Check your local ordinances and codes. There is no national code

Ralph Mowery[_3_] March 16th 21 04:27 PM

Minimum Distance By Law that A/C unit must be from Neighbor

In article 166cd77bb2590d7c$1$1191991$4646d813
@news.newsgroupdirect.com,
says...

My next door neighbor just put in a new 18,000 BTU Split unit & put the out side blowing device 4 feet from blowing powerful air under our car Port were we entertain. Is that ok when they put ant poison down & blow it at us ?

Go the local planning board and check. I just put up a new garage and
while it was no where near the property line ( about 75 feet away) I had
to get a piece of paper from them to get a building permit stating it
was ok. I think at the time out in the county where I am at I would
have had to have it atleast 10 or more feet from the property line.

[email protected] March 16th 21 04:45 PM

Minimum Distance By Law that A/C unit must be from Neighbor

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 11:27:43 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article 166cd77bb2590d7c$1$1191991$4646d813
,
says...

My next door neighbor just put in a new 18,000 BTU Split unit & put the out side
blowing device 4 feet from blowing powerful air under our car Port were we entertain.
Is that ok when they put ant poison down & blow it at us ?

Go the local planning board and check. I just put up a new garage and
while it was no where near the property line ( about 75 feet away) I had
to get a piece of paper from them to get a building permit stating it
was ok. I think at the time out in the county where I am at I would
have had to have it atleast 10 or more feet from the property line.

Call your building inspector and have him come for a site visit -
- theoretically to advise you on the new section of privacy
fence that you are going to build - in the path of the neighbour's
A/C - but be sure that he notices the new A/C
installation while he's there ..
It also helps to know your property line to-the-inch.
John T.

Ken[_6_] March 16th 21 04:54 PM

Jim wrote:
My next door neighbor just put in a new 18,000 BTU Split unit & put the
out side blowing device 4 feet from blowing powerful air under our car
Port were we entertain. Is that ok when they put ant poison down & blow
it at us ?

Have you talked to your neighbor about the problem? I would do that
before I sought local government help. You might be able to find a
solution acceptable for both of you.

Scott Lurndal March 16th 21 05:03 PM

Ken writes:
Jim wrote:
My next door neighbor just put in a new 18,000 BTU Split unit & put the
out side blowing device 4 feet from blowing powerful air under our car
Port were we entertain. Is that ok when they put ant poison down & blow
it at us ?

Have you talked to your neighbor about the problem? I would do that
before I sought local government help. You might be able to find a
solution acceptable for both of you.

I wonder if there really is a problem. Most compressors exhaust
upwards (given that warm air rises, that's not suprising).

You all realize you're responding to a post from Home Moaners Hub, right?

[email protected] March 16th 21 05:54 PM

Minimum Distance By Law that A/C unit must be from Neighbor

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 14:01:32 +0000, Jim
wrote:

My next door neighbor just put in a new 18,000 BTU Split unit & put the out side blowing device 4 feet from blowing powerful air under our car Port were we entertain. Is that ok when they put ant poison down & blow it at us ?

You may not want to kick that tar baby.
I am not sure what your local zoning might be but here your carport
can't be closer than 10' from the property line on the side and 35' in
the front. The AC condenser can be closer. (adjacent to that 10' line)
If you get that ****ing match started, you might lose your car port.
That is single family,. If you live in a trailer community they
usually have far looser rules, basically zero lot line.

Clare Snyder March 16th 21 06:45 PM

wrote:

My next door neighbor just put in a new 18,000 BTU Split unit & put the out side blowing device 4 feet from blowing powerful air under our car Port were we entertain. Is that ok when they put ant poison down & blow it at us ?

What did you do to **** them off that they are blowing ant popison at
you?

trader_4 March 16th 21 10:54 PM

On Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 12:03:17 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Ken writes:
Jim wrote:
My next door neighbor just put in a new 18,000 BTU Split unit & put the
out side blowing device 4 feet from blowing powerful air under our car
Port were we entertain. Is that ok when they put ant poison down & blow
it at us ?

Have you talked to your neighbor about the problem? I would do that
before I sought local government help. You might be able to find a
solution acceptable for both of you.

I wonder if there really is a problem. Most compressors exhaust
upwards (given that warm air rises, that's not suprising).

You all realize you're responding to a post from Home Moaners Hub, right?

He said it's a split and 18K BTUs which sounds like a mini-split. They do mostly
discharge sideways, so they can hang on a wall, etc. But also it being just 18K
BTUs whatever it is, when you're 4 ft plus away, you wouldn't think there would be
all that much air to be objectionable.

TimR[_2_] March 16th 21 11:14 PM

On Saturday, July 19, 2008 at 8:30:06 AM UTC-4, ransley wrote:

Getting a permit gets you a free inspection to be sure you got a
quality job, codes vary on location to a neighbors house.

A permit might not get you a quality job but it will get you within code.

Code isn't a measure of quality. It's merely the worst you are allowed to build. Better than code is, well, better.

micky March 17th 21 12:01 AM

Minimum Distance By Law that A/C unit must be from Neighbor

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 16 Mar 2021 14:01:32 +0000, Jim
wrote:

My next door neighbor just put in a new 18,000 BTU Split unit & put the out side blowing device 4 feet from blowing powerful air

under our car Port were we entertain. Is that ok when they put ant
poison down & blow it at us ?

No contradiction to anything the others said. All of it good (at least
so far!) but are you saying the problem is the ant poison? Absolutely
if they are blowing ant poison onto your property that is a "nuisance"
and they can be made to stop. But before calling the government, can't
they switch to sticky strips, or liquid ant poison (is there such a
thing). Where are the ants getting into his house. Can't they just
seal that. I"m pretty sure the AC isn't next to a door.

Code enforcement might care if the AC is too close but you'll surely
have to point out the antpoison and I don't think they care about it.

Is 18,000 big?

Under?? your car port? Isn't it already on the ground?

Clare Snyder March 17th 21 03:58 AM

Minimum Distance By Law that A/C unit must be from Neighbor

wrote:

[...]

Ander the side railing of the carport - like a fence it does NOT
touch the ground in many cases

micky March 17th 21 08:55 AM

Minimum Distance By Law that A/C unit must be from Neighbor

wrote:

[...]

I'm very literal. I took it to mean under the cement slab. Where the
air goes from there, I did not know.

trader_4 March 17th 21 12:33 PM

wrote:

[...]

What side railing? A car port can just be a roof, connected to the house,
open on three sides.

[email protected] March 17th 21 02:51 PM

Minimum Distance By Law that A/C unit must be from Neighbor

wrote:

[...]

Frequently there will be a stem wall of aluminum or vinyl with a top
rail about 3 feet high on one two of the outside edges. I am not sure
if it is aesthetic or structural but it is pretty common. They usually
are open for a few inches at the bottom.
Mine is PVC fence material with the voids in the top and bottom rails
filled with PT lumber to stiffen it up a bit. Irma didn't hurt it.

micky March 18th 21 01:38 AM

Minimum Distance By Law that A/C unit must be from Neighbor

wrote:

[...]

As usual, Jim never came back to explain anything.

Bob[_143_] March 18th 21 11:19 AM

On 3/16/21 10:01 AM, Jim wrote:
My next door neighbor just put in a new 18,000 BTU Split unit & put the out side blowing device 4 feet from blowing powerful air under our car Port were we entertain. Is that ok when they put ant poison down & blow it at us ?

The problem with living in a trailer park is that when your neighbor farts, you'll prolly hear it and smell it.