DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Deck stain (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/255648-re-deck-stain.html)

h[_11_] July 16th 08 03:53 PM

Deck stain

"Kevin" wrote in message ...
What's on the market that's a great stain? I trust this group, more than I
trust advice from HD or Lowes. If I scat on over to Sherwin Williams or
Benny Moore, they of course are going to try to sell me their products.

I finally got my deck cleaned after 3 days of pressure washing &
bleaching. I had a lot of algae on it.

Some of the old stain, didn't come off, and I didn't want to pressure
_blast_ it. The old stain was a semi transparent oil.

I'm thinking about going solid stain. I stained my house with Benny Moore
solid latex, and real pleased with the results, even after 7 years.

Can I use latex stain on the deck? I'm hesitant to go a solid oil, because
oil doesn't contract/expand with the wood. So, I'm told anyways.

Recommendations truly appreciated.

We make our own milk paint (Shaker paint) and use that on the deck. You can
add any pigment you want for color. It holds up great. After 10 years it
still hasn't faded, even in the high traffic walkway areas. It's made with
skim milk, lime, linseed oil, and maybe salt, I think. You can google for
the recipe. It's very easy.