Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plastic Behind Drywall?

Im putting up drywall in my basement. Two of my walls are exterior
walls and my studs are about 6 inches from the wall. Should I put up
plastic as a moisture barrier before putting up the drywall. Im not
installing any type of insulation.
Thanks
John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 2:52*pm, John wrote:
Im putting up drywall in my basement. Two of my walls are exterior
walls and my studs are about 6 inches from the wall. Should I put up
plastic as a moisture barrier before putting up the drywall. Im not
installing any type of insulation.
Thanks
John

I would not go that route as you can get condensation between the
below-grade wall and plastic sheet that will get moldy. If you want
to seal up the walls properly, clean them up real good and give them 2
heavy coats of DryLoc brand waterproof paint (the latex version is
fine) (have cans well shaken as this stuff has a solid component that
settles). Then do your framing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 4:15*pm, RickH wrote:
On Jul 9, 2:52*pm, John wrote:

Im putting up drywall in my basement. Two of my walls are exterior
walls and my studs are about 6 inches from the wall. Should I put up
plastic as a moisture barrier before putting up the drywall. Im not
installing any type of insulation.
Thanks
John

I would not go that route as you can get condensation between the
below-grade wall and plastic sheet that will get moldy. *If you want
to seal up the walls properly, clean them up real good and give them 2
heavy coats of DryLoc brand waterproof paint (the latex version is
fine) (have cans well shaken as this stuff has a solid component that
settles). *Then do your framing.

I meant DryLoc'ing the concrete foundation walls before framing, (not
Dryloc'ing the drywall).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 5:15*pm, RickH wrote:
On Jul 9, 2:52*pm, John wrote:

Im putting up drywall in my basement. Two of my walls are exterior
walls and my studs are about 6 inches from the wall. Should I put up
plastic as a moisture barrier before putting up the drywall. Im not
installing any type of insulation.
Thanks
John

I would not go that route as you can get condensation between the
below-grade wall and plastic sheet that will get moldy. *If you want
to seal up the walls properly, clean them up real good and give them 2
heavy coats of DryLoc brand waterproof paint (the latex version is
fine) (have cans well shaken as this stuff has a solid component that
settles). *Then do your framing.

Thanks for the help.
John
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John" wrote in message
Im putting up drywall in my basement. Two of my walls are exterior
walls and my studs are about 6 inches from the wall. Should I put up
plastic as a moisture barrier before putting up the drywall. Im not
installing any type of insulation.
Thanks
John

I don't know where you live, but why not put in some insulation while you're
at it? You have plenty of space, now's the time. I put up a similar wall
in one corner basement room I have, partly to be able to put insulation in
the walls, and it made quite a difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John,

Im putting up drywall in my basement. Two of my walls are exterior
walls and my studs are about 6 inches from the wall. Should I put up
plastic as a moisture barrier before putting up the drywall. Im not
installing any type of insulation.

If you are going to install a plastic moisture barrier, you would want it
against the concrete wall, not behind the drywall. The idea is to keep
moisture out of the wall, not trap moisture in the wall.

I'm assuming, of course, your basement walls do not leak any. If that's the
case, you'll probably need some kind of perimeter drain and a sump pump.

As another poster mentioned, a paintable membrane like Drylok might be a
better option for a foundation wall than the plastic sheet.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 10:54*am, HerHusband wrote:
John,

Im putting up drywall in my basement. Two of my walls are exterior
walls and my studs are about 6 inches from the wall. Should I put up
plastic as a moisture barrier before putting up the drywall. Im not
installing any type of insulation.

If you are going to install a plastic moisture barrier, you would want it
against the concrete wall, not behind the drywall. The idea is to keep
moisture out of the wall, not trap moisture in the wall.

I'm assuming, of course, your basement walls do not leak any. If that's the
case, you'll probably need some kind of perimeter drain and a sump pump.

As another poster mentioned, a paintable membrane like Drylok might be a
better option for a foundation wall than the plastic sheet.

Anthony

Even a plastic sheet directly over the concrete wall will form
condensation between sheet and wall and eventually smell moldy.
Whereas the DryLoc soaks in about an 1/8 inch or so and prevents any
moisture in the interior without condensation gap issues. Gives
basements a nice clean smell as long as you have HVAC return and
supply ducts to the space to reduce the air density and humidity
levels typical for basements. The best place for any membrane though
is outside the wall underground befor backfilling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Im putting up drywall in my basement. Two of my walls are exterior
walls and my studs are about 6 inches from the wall. Should I put
up plastic as a moisture barrier before putting up the drywall. Im
not installing any type of insulation.

Even a plastic sheet directly over the concrete wall will form
condensation between sheet and wall and eventually smell moldy.

Good point!

The best place for any membrane though is outside
the wall underground befor backfilling.

Yep, that was my thinking too, but I didn't get the impression that was an
option in this case.

Anthony