Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

Default Drawer slide lube?

The drawer slides on an old dresser are wood, somewhat like tongue and
groove except on a much larger scale. A couple of the drawers started
getting hard to slide open, so I applied some Dial bath soap to the
grooves. That helped a little, but still not as free as I would like.
That got me to thinking that perhaps modern soap is not as good for
that purpose as grandpa's old soap. Modern soap is slick when wet,
but doesn't seem to be much use when dry.
Is there a better lube for wood-on-wood, one that will not absorb into
the wood or stain it?

KC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2008 8:39 PM KC spake thus:

The drawer slides on an old dresser are wood, somewhat like tongue and
groove except on a much larger scale. A couple of the drawers started
getting hard to slide open, so I applied some Dial bath soap to the
grooves. That helped a little, but still not as free as I would like.
That got me to thinking that perhaps modern soap is not as good for
that purpose as grandpa's old soap. Modern soap is slick when wet,
but doesn't seem to be much use when dry.
Is there a better lube for wood-on-wood, one that will not absorb into
the wood or stain it?

Ordinary candle wax. Just rub a candle along the parts that slide.

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 20:39:40 -0700 (PDT), KC
wrote:

The drawer slides on an old dresser are wood, somewhat like tongue and
groove except on a much larger scale. A couple of the drawers started
getting hard to slide open, so I applied some Dial bath soap to the
grooves. That helped a little, but still not as free as I would like.
That got me to thinking that perhaps modern soap is not as good for
that purpose as grandpa's old soap. Modern soap is slick when wet,
but doesn't seem to be much use when dry.
Is there a better lube for wood-on-wood, one that will not absorb into
the wood or stain it?

KC

Paraffin or candle wax. If you can determine the area where it is
tight, sand it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 20:39:40 -0700 (PDT), KC wrote:

Is there a better lube for wood-on-wood, one that will not absorb into
the wood or stain it?

Don't use soap as a lubricant, it's so 18th century.

Use a 21st century product such as clear silicone grease:
http://www.drillspot.com/products/42...lide_Lubricant

If that link doesn't work for you:
http://tinyurl.com/5g9oeu

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 6, 11:39*pm, KC wrote:
The drawer slides on an old dresser are wood, somewhat like tongue and
groove except on a much larger scale. A couple of the drawers started
getting hard to slide open, so I applied some Dial bath soap to the
grooves. *That helped a little, but still not as free as I would like.
That got me to thinking that perhaps modern soap is not as good for
that purpose as grandpa's old soap. *Modern soap is slick when wet,
but doesn't seem to be much use when dry.
Is there a better lube for wood-on-wood, one that will not absorb into
the wood or stain it?

KC

My vote is candle wax
Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"KC" wrote in message
The drawer slides on an old dresser are wood, somewhat like tongue and
groove except on a much larger scale. A couple of the drawers started
getting hard to slide open, so I applied some Dial bath soap to the
grooves. That helped a little, but still not as free as I would like.
That got me to thinking that perhaps modern soap is not as good for
that purpose as grandpa's old soap. Modern soap is slick when wet,
but doesn't seem to be much use when dry.
Is there a better lube for wood-on-wood, one that will not absorb into
the wood or stain it?

KC

Paste Wax

Candle stub works best. White (natural shade) tapers or utility candles
usually have a blunt base about the right size, and the candle-buyer in
your house will never know where they have been.
--
aem sends...

Old drawer slide???? Xantipas Home Repair 6 June 28th 08 08:34 PM
Old drawer slide???? RicodJour Home Repair 1 June 28th 08 04:33 AM
drawer slide Lee Woodworking 2 April 1st 08 08:38 PM
What do these drawer slide numbers mean? Dukes909 Woodworking 3 March 9th 06 07:30 PM
Help locating drawer slide hardware Joe Bott Woodworking 4 August 25th 05 03:45 PM