DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Rope caulk? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/254866-rope-caulk.html)

Nancy Young July 7th 08 12:45 AM

Rope caulk?

I have a patio that comes right up to the house. Between the
house and the patio is grey rubbery caulk. This caulk is missing
or messed up in some areas and I'd like to replace it. If you know
what I'm talking about, is this the product I need to buy?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...6338-1410-P24H

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6pwrtb

If this isn't the product I need, do you know what I'm looking
for and where to buy it? As always, I appreciate your help.

nancy

ythread July 7th 08 12:56 AM

Rope caulk?

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
. ..
I have a patio that comes right up to the house. Between the
house and the patio is grey rubbery caulk. This caulk is missing
or messed up in some areas and I'd like to replace it. If you know
what I'm talking about, is this the product I need to buy?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...6338-1410-P24H

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6pwrtb

If this isn't the product I need, do you know what I'm looking
for and where to buy it? As always, I appreciate your help.

nancy

I wouldn't use that.

Get some real silicone caulk.

http://www.doityourself.com/icat/grayblkbronzsilicone

Norminn July 7th 08 01:34 AM

Rope caulk?

Nancy Young wrote:

I have a patio that comes right up to the house. Between the
house and the patio is grey rubbery caulk. This caulk is missing
or messed up in some areas and I'd like to replace it. If you know
what I'm talking about, is this the product I need to buy?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...6338-1410-P24H

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6pwrtb

If this isn't the product I need, do you know what I'm looking
for and where to buy it? As always, I appreciate your help.

nancy

The link you provided is for caulk to be used around windows. Are you
trying to fill
a gap between concrete patio and concrete foundation? If so, there is a
caulk
specifically for concrete expansion joints - just check out the caulk
rack at you favorite
big store. Probably have it in the masonry supplies as well.

Like this:
http://www.dap.com/product_details.a...=26&SubcatID=6

Oren[_2_] July 7th 08 01:42 AM

Rope caulk?

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 18:45:40 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

I have a patio that comes right up to the house. Between the
house and the patio is grey rubbery caulk. This caulk is missing
or messed up in some areas and I'd like to replace it. If you know
what I'm talking about, is this the product I need to buy?

Examine products on the shelf with caulk, find the color and make sure
it apply's with concrete.

I've used "grey rubbery caulk" before and it stuck. I can't get butyl
caulk out of my pants (used to build box cars). It out last my pants,
but I don't build box cars, buses, etc..

Nancy Young July 7th 08 01:52 AM

Rope caulk?

Norminn wrote:
Nancy Young wrote:

I have a patio that comes right up to the house. Between the
house and the patio is grey rubbery caulk. This caulk is missing
or messed up in some areas and I'd like to replace it. If you know
what I'm talking about, is this the product I need to buy?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...6338-1410-P24H

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6pwrtb

If this isn't the product I need, do you know what I'm looking
for and where to buy it? As always, I appreciate your help.

The link you provided is for caulk to be used around windows.

Further down in the description it mentioned other uses.

Are you
trying to fill
a gap between concrete patio and concrete foundation?

Right.

If so, there
is a caulk
specifically for concrete expansion joints - just check out the caulk
rack at you favorite
big store. Probably have it in the masonry supplies as well.

What's confusing me is that this stuff is up to an inch wide and
doesn't look like it came out of a caulking gun. It looks like one
long piece of gray rope. I guess that's why I thought rope caulk.

Thanks, I will go look closer at what is available, I didn't have
much luck last time, I didn't even see this stuff I found online.

nancy

Nancy Young July 7th 08 01:54 AM

Rope caulk?

wrote:

I have a patio that comes right up to the house. Between the
house and the patio is grey rubbery caulk. This caulk is missing
or messed up in some areas and I'd like to replace it. If you know
what I'm talking about, is this the product I need to buy?

Examine products on the shelf with caulk, find the color and make sure
it apply's with concrete.

I've used "grey rubbery caulk" before and it stuck. I can't get butyl
caulk out of my pants (used to build box cars). It out last my pants,
but I don't build box cars, buses, etc..

Heh. Okay, thanks, as I said I'm just starting to get into this little
project and wasn't sure what to look for.

nancy

Big_Jake July 7th 08 02:02 AM

Rope caulk?

wrote:
I have a patio that comes right up to the house. Between the
house and the patio is grey rubbery caulk. This caulk is missing
or messed up in some areas and I'd like to replace it. If you know
what I'm talking about, is this the product I need to buy?

Examine products on the shelf with caulk, find the color and make sure
it apply's with concrete.

I've used "grey rubbery caulk" before and it stuck. I can't get butyl
caulk out of my pants (used to build box cars). It out last my pants,
but I don't build box cars, buses, etc..

Heh. Okay, thanks, as I said I'm just starting to get into this little
project and wasn't sure what to look for.

nancy

Usually, the concrete guys use products like this:

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=10136

which is a one-part urethane caulk. It is really good stuff, and will
hold its shape when pulled out, and end up looking like a rope. You
also might need to use a caulk backer rod -

http://www.bestmaterials.com/SearchR...ategoryID=1083

This should be reasonably easy to find but the caulk is a little more
difficult to get. I buy mine from a local contractor's supply store
that specializes in tools and supplies for masonry contractors.

JK

Nancy Young July 7th 08 02:10 AM

Rope caulk?

Big_Jake wrote:
On Jul 6, 6:54 pm, "Nancy Young" wrote:

Usually, the concrete guys use products like this:

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=10136

which is a one-part urethane caulk. It is really good stuff, and will
hold its shape when pulled out, and end up looking like a rope. You
also might need to use a caulk backer rod -

http://www.bestmaterials.com/SearchR...ategoryID=1083

This should be reasonably easy to find but the caulk is a little more
difficult to get. I buy mine from a local contractor's supply store
that specializes in tools and supplies for masonry contractors.

Oh. The fact that I don't know what backer rod is, but I saw what
looked like that at the store makes me think I don't know what
the heck I'm doing. I'd better read more about it. Thank you for
the heads up.

nancy

Tony Hwang July 7th 08 02:28 AM

Rope caulk?

wrote:

I have a patio that comes right up to the house. Between the
house and the patio is grey rubbery caulk. This caulk is missing
or messed up in some areas and I'd like to replace it. If you know
what I'm talking about, is this the product I need to buy?

Examine products on the shelf with caulk, find the color and make sure
it apply's with concrete.

I've used "grey rubbery caulk" before and it stuck. I can't get butyl
caulk out of my pants (used to build box cars). It out last my pants,
but I don't build box cars, buses, etc..

Hi,
It depends how side the gap is. Or it could be acting like expansion
joint. Also it matters how deep the gap is vertically. There is bigger
than usual size commercial caulking tube made for concrete/masonry which
is sort of grey color. If gap is deep, fill it with foam or rubber rope
and apply caulk. May need more than one pass. HD or Lowe will have what
you need.

Nancy Young July 7th 08 02:39 AM

Rope caulk?

wrote:

I have a patio that comes right up to the house. Between the
house and the patio is grey rubbery caulk. This caulk is missing
or messed up in some areas and I'd like to replace it. If you know
what I'm talking about, is this the product I need to buy?

It depends how side the gap is. Or it could be acting like expansion
joint. Also it matters how deep the gap is vertically. There is bigger
than usual size commercial caulking tube made for concrete/masonry
which is sort of grey color. If gap is deep, fill it with foam or
rubber rope and apply caulk. May need more than one pass. HD or Lowe
will have what you need.

Thank you very much. I'll start with looking more closely at what
I'm planning to replace.

nancy

David Nebenzahl July 7th 08 03:45 AM

Rope caulk?

On 7/6/2008 4:52 PM Nancy Young spake thus:

What's confusing me is that this stuff is up to an inch wide and
doesn't look like it came out of a caulking gun. It looks like one
long piece of gray rope. I guess that's why I thought rope caulk.

I think what you have is what's called "backer rod", which isn't caulk
at all, but semi-rigid foam (usually gray) used to fill large gaps. You
stuff it in, then caulk around it. Available at almost any hardware or
home-improvement store.

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken

David Nebenzahl July 7th 08 03:59 AM

Rope caulk?

On 7/6/2008 5:10 PM Nancy Young spake thus:

Big_Jake wrote:

On Jul 6, 6:54 pm, "Nancy Young" wrote:

Usually, the concrete guys use products like this:

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=10136

which is a one-part urethane caulk. It is really good stuff, and will
hold its shape when pulled out, and end up looking like a rope. You
also might need to use a caulk backer rod -

http://www.bestmaterials.com/SearchR...ategoryID=1083

This should be reasonably easy to find but the caulk is a little more
difficult to get. I buy mine from a local contractor's supply store
that specializes in tools and supplies for masonry contractors.

Oh. The fact that I don't know what backer rod is, but I saw what
looked like that at the store makes me think I don't know what
the heck I'm doing. I'd better read more about it. Thank you for
the heads up.

The backer rod is just something else besides caulk to stuff into the
crack, used when the crack is large. You *could* fill the crack with
caulk, but that would take a lot more of it: the backer rod just lets
you use less caulk, while still filling the cavity. Not exactly rocket
science.

Norminn July 7th 08 04:08 AM

Rope caulk?

Nancy Young wrote:

Big_Jake wrote:

On Jul 6, 6:54 pm, "Nancy Young" wrote:

Usually, the concrete guys use products like this:

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=10136

which is a one-part urethane caulk. It is really good stuff, and will
hold its shape when pulled out, and end up looking like a rope. You
also might need to use a caulk backer rod -

http://www.bestmaterials.com/SearchR...ategoryID=1083

This should be reasonably easy to find but the caulk is a little more
difficult to get. I buy mine from a local contractor's supply store
that specializes in tools and supplies for masonry contractors.

Oh. The fact that I don't know what backer rod is, but I saw what
looked like that at the store makes me think I don't know what the
heck I'm doing. I'd better read more about it. Thank you for
the heads up.

nancy

Backer rod is stiff foam molded into a cylindtrical shape, or rope,
available in different sizes. It is used for filling larger gaps
prior to caulking. The backer rod fills the gap, and caulk covers the
backer rod and seals up the gap. The backer rod
is to insulate and fill so you don't have to fill up voids with caulk.
Caulk is great for finishing off all kinds of cracks
and openings, but might never completely cure if packed in volume to a
large opening.

Red Green July 7th 08 05:47 AM

Rope caulk?

"Nancy Young" wrote in
:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ctId=96338-141
0-P24H

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6pwrtb

If this isn't the product I need, do you know what I'm looking
for and where to buy it? As always, I appreciate your help.

nancy

Where are you located...climate is what I'm getting at. That wide gap may
have a purpose.

SteveB July 7th 08 08:33 AM

Rope caulk?

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
. ..
I have a patio that comes right up to the house. Between the
house and the patio is grey rubbery caulk. This caulk is missing
or messed up in some areas and I'd like to replace it. If you know
what I'm talking about, is this the product I need to buy?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...6338-1410-P24H

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6pwrtb

If this isn't the product I need, do you know what I'm looking
for and where to buy it? As always, I appreciate your help.

nancy

I'd visit a boat repair facility and ask them. They use rope caulks that
last decades. Might even be able to Google it and have it Priority Mailed
to your door.

Steve

Rudy July 7th 08 09:33 AM

Rope caulk?

Oh. The fact that I don't know what backer rod is, but I saw what
looked like that at the store makes me think I don't know what the heck
I'm doing.

Backer rod..think POOL NOODLE material but 1/4", 1/2", 1" etc in diameter
(with no hole in the center) sold in rolls.

Roll out what you need and stuff it into the crack with the end of a ruler
or such.

Nancy Young July 7th 08 02:31 PM

Rope caulk?

Rudy wrote:
Oh. The fact that I don't know what backer rod is, but I saw what
looked like that at the store makes me think I don't know what the
heck I'm doing.

Backer rod..think POOL NOODLE material but 1/4", 1/2", 1" etc in
diameter (with no hole in the center) sold in rolls.

That's exactly what I saw (didn't see the rope caulk) and wondered
if I should know what that was. The word rod throws me off,
sounds like something that should be stiff.

Roll out what you need and stuff it into the crack with the end of a
ruler or such.

Thanks very much.

nancy

Nancy Young July 7th 08 02:34 PM

Rope caulk?

Red Green wrote:
"Nancy Young" wrote

If this isn't the product I need, do you know what I'm looking
for and where to buy it? As always, I appreciate your help.

Where are you located...climate is what I'm getting at. That wide gap
may have a purpose.

Ah, I'm in NJ. It does get cold here, at least it used to, in
the winter. I'm just looking to replace whatever material
was already there, but after some 25 years isn't what it
used to be.

nancy

Nancy Young July 7th 08 02:36 PM

Rope caulk?

SteveB wrote:
"Nancy Young" wrote

If this isn't the product I need, do you know what I'm looking
for and where to buy it? As always, I appreciate your help.

I'd visit a boat repair facility and ask them. They use rope caulks
that last decades. Might even be able to Google it and have it
Priority Mailed to your door.

Interesting! Thanks for the tip.

nancy

Nancy Young July 7th 08 02:59 PM

Rope caulk?

Norminn wrote:
Nancy Young wrote:

Oh. The fact that I don't know what backer rod is, but I saw what
looked like that at the store makes me think I don't know what the
heck I'm doing. I'd better read more about it. Thank you for
the heads up.

Backer rod is stiff foam molded into a cylindtrical shape, or rope,
available in different sizes. It is used for filling larger gaps
prior to caulking. The backer rod fills the gap, and caulk covers the
backer rod and seals up the gap.

Makes sense.

The backer rod
is to insulate and fill so you don't have to fill up voids with caulk.
Caulk is great for finishing off all kinds of cracks
and openings, but might never completely cure if packed in volume to a
large opening.

Capish. I think I need to use that in my bathroom where the
vanity top meets the wall. Live and learn.

nancy

SteveB July 7th 08 04:55 PM

Rope caulk?

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
"Nancy Young" wrote

If this isn't the product I need, do you know what I'm looking
for and where to buy it? As always, I appreciate your help.

I'd visit a boat repair facility and ask them. They use rope caulks
that last decades. Might even be able to Google it and have it
Priority Mailed to your door.

Interesting! Thanks for the tip.

nancy

I have seen documentaries where rope caulks were identifiable after over
1,000 years. So much that they knew the exact fiber used. IIRC, it is
stuffed in there with a tar mixture and tapped into place with a flat shim
of wood and a hammer. The extra goop may help with sealing and preserving
whatever it comes in contact with. Should be cheap, too. Keep us posted.

Steve