DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   door with short chain by hinge to keep it close. Remove? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/254613-door-short-chain-hinge-keep-close-remove.html)

lbbss July 3rd 08 12:07 AM

door with short chain by hinge to keep it close. Remove?

In our new house the garage to house door is self closing. It has
some kind of small chair, in the middle of the door (on the hinge
side). I don't like it closing all the time, so would like to
unscrew that mechanism. If I later change my mind, will it be next
to impossible to put it back? thanks.

Tony Hwang July 3rd 08 01:46 AM

lbbss wrote:
In our new house the garage to house door is self closing. It has
some kind of small chair, in the middle of the door (on the hinge
side). I don't like it closing all the time, so would like to
unscrew that mechanism. If I later change my mind, will it be next
to impossible to put it back? thanks.

Hi,
Self closing garage door is per fire code. I don't think you can disable
it for good. My door has spring hinges. Nothing external like yours. If
needed I used door stopper(wedge) to keep it open when I haul groceries,
etc.