DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Painting over indoor-outdoor carpet (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/254355-painting-over-indoor-outdoor-carpet.html)

Northe June 29th 08 07:55 PM

Painting over indoor-outdoor carpet

We've got a screened porch (they call them Arizona Rooms here in
Arizona), and the floor is covered with that green "astroturf like"
indoor-outdoor carpet. My wife understands that it is possible to paint
over it using several coats of primer followed by a floor paint, to wind
up with a different color and relatively smooth surface.

Has anyone had any experience with doing this?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Northe
Green Valley, AZ

[email protected] June 29th 08 08:12 PM

On Jun 29, 11:55*am, Northe wrote:
We've got a screened porch (they call them Arizona Rooms here in
Arizona), and the floor is covered with that green "astroturf like"
indoor-outdoor carpet. My wife understands that it is possible to paint
over it using several coats of primer followed by a floor paint, to wind
up with a different color and relatively smooth surface.

Has anyone had any experience with doing this?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Northe
Green Valley, AZ

You are joking right?

David Nebenzahl June 29th 08 08:19 PM

Painting over indoor-outdoor carpet

On 6/29/2008 11:55 AM Northe spake thus:

We've got a screened porch (they call them Arizona Rooms here in
Arizona), and the floor is covered with that green "astroturf like"
indoor-outdoor carpet. My wife understands that it is possible to paint
over it using several coats of primer followed by a floor paint, to wind
up with a different color and relatively smooth surface.

Has anyone had any experience with doing this?

To be honest, no, I've had no experience with this, but it sounds pretty
crazy to me. Suggestion: if you really want to find out, get yourself a
scrap of carpet and try painting it to see what happens. My guess is you
won't be pleased with the result.

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken

Ron June 29th 08 09:17 PM

On Jun 29, 3:12*pm, wrote:
On Jun 29, 11:55*am, Northe wrote:

We've got a screened porch (they call them Arizona Rooms here in
Arizona), and the floor is covered with that green "astroturf like"
indoor-outdoor carpet. My wife understands that it is possible to paint
over it using several coats of primer followed by a floor paint, to wind
up with a different color and relatively smooth surface.

Has anyone had any experience with doing this?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Northe
Green Valley, AZ

You are joking right?

They did it on "Trading Spaces" one time, so it is possible.

Oren[_2_] June 29th 08 09:59 PM

Painting over indoor-outdoor carpet

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 12:12:57 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Jun 29, 11:55*am, Northe wrote:
We've got a screened porch (they call them Arizona Rooms here in
Arizona), and the floor is covered with that green "astroturf like"
indoor-outdoor carpet. My wife understands that it is possible to paint
over it using several coats of primer followed by a floor paint, to wind
up with a different color and relatively smooth surface.

Has anyone had any experience with doing this?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Northe
Green Valley, AZ

You are joking right?

Never underestimate the power of a Cone Head family. (consume mass
quantities of (paint)).

In FL they're called Florida rooms. In the penitentiary they're called
rubber rooms.

Norminn June 30th 08 12:08 AM

Ron wrote:

On Jun 29, 2:55 pm, Northe wrote:

We've got a screened porch (they call them Arizona Rooms here in
Arizona), and the floor is covered with that green "astroturf like"
indoor-outdoor carpet. My wife understands that it is possible to paint
over it using several coats of primer followed by a floor paint, to wind
up with a different color and relatively smooth surface.

Has anyone had any experience with doing this?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Northe
Green Valley, AZ

http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/tr...roject_06.html

Anyone who has spilled paint knows that it would probably sink into
fiber carpet. Astroturf is
a whole nother idea - horrible, just to think about. I can't imagine
why anyone would want to try,
unless striving for a particularly unusual color. Indoor/outdoor carpet
is pretty inexpensive,
probably cheaper than the primer and paint.

Red Green June 30th 08 03:24 AM

Painting over indoor-outdoor carpet

Ron wrote in
:

On Jun 29, 3:12*pm, wrote:
On Jun 29, 11:55*am, Northe wrote:

We've got a screened porch (they call them Arizona Rooms here in
Arizona), and the floor is covered with that green "astroturf like"
indoor-outdoor carpet. My wife understands that it is possible to
paint over it using several coats of primer followed by a floor
paint, to wind

up with a different color and relatively smooth surface.

Has anyone had any experience with doing this?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Northe
Green Valley, AZ

You are joking right?

They did it on "Trading Spaces" one time, so it is possible.

It's possible to put it on TV and make it look good for the moment.

Reminds me of an old "$19.95+s&h, order before midnight tonight"
commercial for thinning hair. Sprayed the guys head with some black stuff
and combed. Suddenly it looks like he has a full head of hair. Looks good
on TV where no detail can be seen and the test of time is zero.

In reality I heard that it actually just colored the scalp to look good
from an airplane. Up close it looked like the dude had a black helmet
on...an ugly black helmet...a cheap ugly black helmet.

ConnetiCat June 30th 08 04:15 AM

Painting over indoor-outdoor carpet

How about just ripping it out and putting in indoor outdoor sisal
carpet of your choice of color? Cats love it. It's one big
scratching post.

Northe July 2nd 08 06:46 PM

Painting over indoor-outdoor carpet

Ron,

http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/tr...roject_06.html

Thanks for that reference. I believe that my wife is convinced that
painting is not the right approach.

Northe

cshenk July 2nd 08 06:58 PM

Painting over indoor-outdoor carpet

"Northe" wrote

Ron,

http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/tr...roject_06.html

Thanks for that reference. I believe that my wife is convinced that
painting is not the right approach.

And forgive me. I didnt reply because i thought you were a troll. No one
could really paint such a thing could they?