DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   "Set-back" toilet (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/254255-set-back-toilet.html)

Aaron Fude June 28th 08 04:33 PM

"Set-back" toilet

Hi,

I have a powder room with very limited space and I'm hoping there is a
way to push the toilet back further to the wall. The drain is in the
standard place and I would like to keep it there, but I am hoping
there there exists a toilet that utilaizes the drain in the standard
location, but is set further back. Perhaps a old/antique European
style toilet with the water tank up on top. My attempts to find
something like that have turned up nothing.

Thanks!

Aaron

dpb June 28th 08 04:54 PM

"Set-back" toilet

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have a powder room with very limited space and I'm hoping there is a
way to push the toilet back further to the wall. The drain is in the
standard place and I would like to keep it there, but I am hoping
there there exists a toilet that utilaizes the drain in the standard
location, but is set further back. Perhaps a old/antique European
style toilet with the water tank up on top. My attempts to find
something like that have turned up nothing.

One way to gain room in front is to use offset flange and set the toilet
into the wall cavity by removing the stud(s) directly behind and making
a recess.

RicodJour June 28th 08 05:33 PM

"Set-back" toilet

On Jun 28, 11:33 am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have a powder room with very limited space and I'm hoping there is a
way to push the toilet back further to the wall. The drain is in the
standard place and I would like to keep it there, but I am hoping
there there exists a toilet that utilaizes the drain in the standard
location, but is set further back. Perhaps a old/antique European
style toilet with the water tank up on top. My attempts to find
something like that have turned up nothing.

You'll have to check the manufacturer's specs to verify a particular
toilet, but as odd as it seems, a longer rough in distance would
probably move the toilet back. Most likely your existing toilet has a
12" rough in, so you'd look at 14" rough in toilets. Then you'd have
to cut a recess in the wall behind the toilet - assuming that's even
possible. That would eliminate mucking about with the offset toilet
flange that dpb mentions.