DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Shower Stall Grout vs. Caulk (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/253562-shower-stall-grout-vs-caulk.html)

J.H. Holliday June 20th 08 01:24 PM

Shower Stall Grout vs. Caulk

I've got a very old tiled shower stall that has grout rather than caulking
on the joints between the walls and the floor. The grout is breaking off and
I need to re-seal.

Should I remove the old grout and use caulk instead-- or try to re-grout?

RicodJour June 20th 08 03:01 PM

Shower Stall Grout vs. Caulk

On Jun 20, 8:24 am, "J.H. Holliday" doc@okcorral wrote:
I've got a very old tiled shower stall that has grout rather than caulking
on the joints between the walls and the floor. The grout is breaking off and
I need to re-seal.

Should I remove the old grout and use caulk instead-- or try to re-grout?

If it's a mud job shower stall you can go either way. Otherwise there
should be caulk at all transitions between materials and all inside
corners.

Norminn June 20th 08 07:04 PM

Shower Stall Grout vs. Caulk

J.H. Holliday wrote:

I've got a very old tiled shower stall that has grout rather than caulking
on the joints between the walls and the floor. The grout is breaking off and
I need to re-seal.

Should I remove the old grout and use caulk instead-- or try to re-grout?

Remove the old grout. Make it absolutely clean - no soap scum, etc.
Wipe with denatured alcohol, let dry. Wipe with full strength bleach
immediately before caulking (let it dry). Use silicone caulk.
Corners are caulked rather than grouted because walls/floors expand and
contract or move as house settles, which cracks grout.