DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hayward pool sand Filter SP714T Valve leaking? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/253532-hayward-pool-sand-filter-sp714t-valve-leaking.html)

Steve June 20th 08 01:54 AM

Hayward pool sand Filter SP714T Valve leaking?

I was a little late taking this valve in last fall. I may have been out in
freezing temps a couple of nights.
Just hooked everything up and water is dribbling out the backwash hose....

could this be taken apart and repaired?
I'm going to search for any kind of " repair kit " or could I just cap off
the backwash line until I need to use it?

I see a replacement online for $109 as a last resort..

TIA

steve

ythread June 20th 08 02:12 AM

Hayward pool sand Filter SP714T Valve leaking?

"Steve" wrote in message
. ..
I was a little late taking this valve in last fall. I may have been out in
freezing temps a couple of nights.
Just hooked everything up and water is dribbling out the backwash hose....

could this be taken apart and repaired?
I'm going to search for any kind of " repair kit " or could I just cap off
the backwash line until I need to use it?

I see a replacement online for $109 as a last resort..

TIA

steve

Are those the ones with the spider gasket? If so it sounds like it maybe
leaking. The one on mine is easy to replace but I'm not sure about yours. On
mine I take the screws off just below the handle to expose the gasket. You
might want to ask your pool material supplier.

Mine was backwashing into my hot tub. But the gasket slipped back into place
on it's own. You might be able to get away with lubing and reseating the
gasket but not knowing your valve I'm not sure.

Steve June 20th 08 04:12 AM

Hayward pool sand Filter SP714T Valve leaking?

This has 6 screws holding on a cover just below the handle you turn for
backwash, etc...
What are the chances there are user replaceable parts in there?
Sounds like it might be worth taking apart for a look?
Maybe a clean and reassemble will do it?

I'll bring it to the local shop and ask.

steve

"ythread" wrote in message

. ..

jthread[_2_] June 20th 08 04:46 AM

Hayward pool sand Filter SP714T Valve leaking?

"Steve" wrote in message
. ..
This has 6 screws holding on a cover just below the handle you turn for
backwash, etc...
What are the chances there are user replaceable parts in there?
Sounds like it might be worth taking apart for a look?
Maybe a clean and reassemble will do it?

I'll bring it to the local shop and ask.

Yes. I checked mine it's a 710. Pretty much the same thing. I've never taken
it apart but they assured me it's real simple. If you take the 6 screws off
the valve selector section it comes out. There is a spider gasket right
underneath. If you have the option to take the valve to your pool supply
store just take it in. But like I said mine slipped back into place on it's
own. My pool is in-ground and the parts are all glued into place so I can't
take my valve in to be worked on.

These are the spider gaskets:

http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_mult...er_gaskets.htm

You can see how if one of the spokes slips out it can leak into the wrong
valve. Mine was leaking backwash into the pool return. Not a good thing.

MichaelJ June 21st 08 05:07 PM

On Jun 19, 7:54 pm, "Steve" wrote:
I was a little late taking this valve in last fall. I may have been out in
freezing temps a couple of nights.
Just hooked everything up and water is dribbling out thebackwashhose....

could this be taken apart and repaired?
I'm going to search for any kind of " repair kit " or could I just cap off
thebackwashline until I need to use it?

I see a replacement online for $109 as a last resort..

TIA

steve

The spider gaskets tend to swell up and leak. Very simple replacement,
just remove all the screws/nuts and pop a new one in. Do not lubricate
it with anything. The secret to longer life if to choose one direction
and always turn the valve handle in that direction, don't go clockwise
one time then counter CW the next time.

ythread June 21st 08 05:39 PM

"MichaelJ" wrote in message
On Jun 19, 7:54 pm, "Steve" wrote:
I was a little late taking this valve in last fall. I may have been out
in
freezing temps a couple of nights.
Just hooked everything up and water is dribbling out thebackwashhose....

could this be taken apart and repaired?
I'm going to search for any kind of " repair kit " or could I just cap
off
thebackwashline until I need to use it?

I see a replacement online for $109 as a last resort..

TIA

steve

The spider gaskets tend to swell up and leak. Very simple replacement,
just remove all the screws/nuts and pop a new one in. Do not lubricate
it with anything. The secret to longer life if to choose one direction
and always turn the valve handle in that direction, don't go clockwise
one time then counter CW the next time.

You're right about the lubing. But, apparently it's supposed to be glued.

http://swimming.about.com/od/pooland...mpoolvalve.htm

The Hayward site backs this up.