Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC condensing unit problem

While replacing thermostat I have shorted out control transformer on
my AC system. I have split system and I already replaced the 24V
transformer for the fan (the unit an the attic) and got it to work.
However, the condensing unit is still not working. Here is a picture
of the electric parts on the unit: http://e-pixel.net/AC_condensing_unit.jpg
I have power 220V coming into the unit and I have 24V now coming to
the unit from the attic fan. I was trying to follow the 24V on the
condensing unit but it goes inside the coil to the bottom (labeled on
the picture) and I can't find 24V anywhere on the unit. I checked
every other wire with the brown 24V wire and I don't have 24V
anywhere.
Can someone help me out here. What's inside the unit where the blue
24V goes to? What else could be damaged here?

Thanks in advanced for all your help,
Jack
Posted to alt.home.repair
Zyp Zyp is offline

JackpipE wrote:
[...]

You have a CARRIER 38ED high eff. from the 80's. The electronic board is a
"anti short - cycle" timer. Remove it from the circuit. Your unit will
light if you have 24 v from the two wires coming in. You'll have to
'by-pass' the c.b. Good luck.

--
Zyp

Posted to alt.home.repair

Be a good idea to replace the delay timer, of course.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Zyp" wrote in message
JackpipE wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, it's a CARRIER high eff. from 85'.
So is it the delay timer (electronic board) that got shorted out ? I
would rather replace whatever I damaged than try to remove it from the
circuit and damaged something else.

You have a CARRIER 38ED high eff. from the 80's. *The electronic board is a
"anti short - cycle" timer. *Remove it from the circuit. * Your unit will
light if you have 24 v from the two wires coming in. *You'll have to
'by-pass' the c.b. *Good luck.

Be a good idea to replace the delay timer, of course.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 11:59*pm, JackpipE wrote:
Yes, it's a CARRIER high eff. from 85'.
So is it the delay timer (electronic board) that got shorted out ? I
would rather replace whatever I damaged than try to remove it from the
circuit and damaged something else.

You have a CARRIER 38ED high eff. from the 80's. *The electronic board is a
"anti short - cycle" timer. *Remove it from the circuit. * Your unit will
light if you have 24 v from the two wires coming in. *You'll have to
'by-pass' the c.b. *Good luck.

Be a good idea to replace the delay timer, of course.- Hide quoted text -

Do you have power coming back from your thermostat when the unit is
calling for air? I would check for voltage at the stat and from the
stat first. If you have an electronic stat you could have blown the
stat board. Do you have heat?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 10:51*pm, "Zyp" wrote:
JackpipE wrote:
[...]

Zyp- Hide quoted text -

My thermostat has a built in "anti cycle" feature, in that it will not
allow less than 5 minutes between compressor cycles. I don't know if
that board does the same thing, but just figured I let you know in
case the board is bad, you can use the T-stat as a substitute.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
On Jun 17, 10:51 pm, "Zyp" wrote:
JackpipE wrote:
[...]

SOLID-STATE TIME GUARD II CIRCUIT,

protects unit compressor by preventing short

cycling. Time Guard II circuit provides a 5 ± 2minute

delay before restarting compressor after

shutdown for any reason. On normal start-up, the 5minute

delay occurs before thermostat closes. After

thermostat closes, the Time Guard II circuit then

provides a 3-second delay to prevent contactor

chattering.

--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you have power coming back from your thermostat when the unit is
calling for air? I would check for voltage at the stat and from the
stat first. If you have an electronic stat you could have blown the
stat board. Do you have heat?

Yes I do have heat because I already replaced the transformer on the
furnace that I also have blown.
Yes, I do have voltage on the thermostat.
From the attic unit (fan) there is 24V going to the thermostat. 3
wires white, red and green connecting to RC, G and Y on the
thermostat. There are 24V on the thermostat.
2 wires 24V go to the condensing unit. I do have the 24V on the
condensing unit at the end of the wire, but I can't find the voltage
on the electronic board or any other wire on the condensing unit as I
described in the first message opening this discussion.
I appreciate all your help but most of what you say sounds Chinese to
me. Is there an easy way I can test what's wrong with my condensing
unit? Can someone say with high confidence that it's the electronic
board could have blown ?

Thanks,
Jack