DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   weight suspended from I-joist ceiling (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/253087-re-weight-suspended-i-joist-ceiling.html)

Wayne Whitney June 13th 08 08:21 PM

weight suspended from I-joist ceiling

On 2008-06-13, mfreak wrote:

I did some googling, I like the closed cell foam a lot, but it is
about 2 lbs/ sq ft. That's going to add an additional 600 lbs to my
ceiling if I pack the joist cavities completely.

So your ceiling is 300 ft^2. The density of closed cell foam is
typically 2 lbs/ft^2, so you'd be applying it 12" thick? That's way
overkill, and the cost of 300 ft^3 of foam would be something like
$3000. You might consider applying it 2" thick. Be sure to use a
fire-rated foam (ASTM E-84).

Cheers, Wayne

[email protected] June 13th 08 08:34 PM

weight suspended from I-joist ceiling

the basement cieling is also the floor above.

you could check with a structural engineer but i doubt the weight your
adding is a issue