DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Chimney caps (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/252829-chimney-caps.html)

[email protected] June 11th 08 02:38 AM

Chimney caps

Where can I get a good chimney cap? I have a square tile that is 11.5
inches on the outside. I purchased one from a large building store
(which shall remain nameless) and honestly can't see how this thing
could withstand a moderate wind. It was only $33, and had a set screw
at each corner that didn't like to stay straight when tightened. I
would prefer to order one from somewhere.

Jimi June 11th 08 03:05 AM

Chimney caps

wrote in message
Where can I get a good chimney cap? I have a square tile that is 11.5
inches on the outside. I purchased one from a large building store
(which shall remain nameless) and honestly can't see how this thing
could withstand a moderate wind. It was only $33, and had a set screw
at each corner that didn't like to stay straight when tightened. I
would prefer to order one from somewhere.

Hi,
I got good chimney caps from our chimney sweep guy. Our home has two
fireplaces and every other year or so we get out chimney swept...the guy put
those caps on during his first visit and they are very sturdy...so go to
your phone book and find a chimney sweep company... Jim

Red Green June 11th 08 03:06 AM

Chimney caps

wrote in news:e4fccd6c-6727-4e6a-9d7e-530a00631c08
@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Where can I get a good chimney cap? I have a square tile that is 11.5
inches on the outside. I purchased one from a large building store
(which shall remain nameless) and honestly can't see how this thing
could withstand a moderate wind. It was only $33, and had a set screw
at each corner that didn't like to stay straight when tightened. I
would prefer to order one from somewhere.

I've never seen one of those fly off. If they did I'd russle them up outta
yards instead of getting them at nameless large building store.

Reed June 11th 08 03:58 AM

Chimney caps

wrote:
Where can I get a good chimney cap? I have a square tile that is 11.5
inches on the outside. I purchased one from a large building store
(which shall remain nameless) and honestly can't see how this thing
could withstand a moderate wind. It was only $33, and had a set screw
at each corner that didn't like to stay straight when tightened. I
would prefer to order one from somewhere.

I just installed a cap like you describe that I got at Lowes. Did you try
to pull up on it after tightening the screws ?? I did, and if the wind
pulls it off, the cap is going to be the least of my worries ;-)

Frank June 11th 08 12:57 PM

Chimney caps

wrote:
Where can I get a good chimney cap? I have a square tile that is 11.5
inches on the outside. I purchased one from a large building store
(which shall remain nameless) and honestly can't see how this thing
could withstand a moderate wind. It was only $33, and had a set screw
at each corner that didn't like to stay straight when tightened. I
would prefer to order one from somewhere.

I had one of those from HD and it blew off a couple of times and I had
to bend it back into shape and reinstall. Finally decided to block off
the fireplace and had chimney guy seal it and cap my other fireplace.
Furnace had also been capped and this cap and fireplace cap from other
chimney guy have remained intact. I decided that I'm now too old to
safely climb on roof. One chimney guy that inspected the fireplace I
closed off would have fallen off roof if I had not been holding ladder.
He did not get hired.

Larry Caldwell June 11th 08 03:31 PM

Chimney caps

In article e4fccd6c-6727-4e6a-9d7e-530a00631c08
@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com,
) says...

Where can I get a good chimney cap? I have a square tile that is 11.5
inches on the outside. I purchased one from a large building store
(which shall remain nameless) and honestly can't see how this thing
could withstand a moderate wind. It was only $33, and had a set screw
at each corner that didn't like to stay straight when tightened. I
would prefer to order one from somewhere.

The set screws work fine, but get a cap made out of heavy stainless.
Chimney gasses are corrosive, and the occasional chimney fire will burn
up a cheap one.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

cshenk June 11th 08 09:38 PM

Chimney caps

"Reed" wrote

Where can I get a good chimney cap? I have a square tile that is 11.5
inches on the outside. I purchased one from a large building store
(which shall remain nameless) and honestly can't see how this thing
could withstand a moderate wind. It was only $33, and had a set screw
at each corner that didn't like to stay straight when tightened. I
would prefer to order one from somewhere.

I just installed a cap like you describe that I got at Lowes. Did you try
to pull up on it after tightening the screws ?? I did, and if the wind
pulls it off, the cap is going to be the least of my worries ;-)

Same here. For the OP (poster), you are supposed to use a small drill and
those 'bolts' go into holes. Believe me, it won't come off unless it takes
the brick with it that way.

cshenk June 11th 08 09:41 PM

Chimney caps

"Frank" wrote

I had one of those from HD and it blew off a couple of times and I had to
bend it back into shape and reinstall. Finally decided to block off

You probably had the mere 'tension' type. Yes, those can blow off. The
type I think he has, is meant to be bolted into the brick. It seems he
tried to just screw tighten it to the brick instead?

Edwin Pawlowski June 12th 08 03:16 AM

Chimney caps

wrote in message
Where can I get a good chimney cap? I have a square tile that is 11.5
inches on the outside. I purchased one from a large building store
(which shall remain nameless) and honestly can't see how this thing
could withstand a moderate wind. It was only $33, and had a set screw
at each corner that didn't like to stay straight when tightened. I
would prefer to order one from somewhere.

Be sure to get a stainless steel one. Painted steel will eventually rust
and can make a mess on the side of the house.