DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   closet opening too wide? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/252827-closet-opening-too-wide.html)

Jay Edgar June 11th 08 02:07 AM

closet opening too wide?

I will be installing closet doors in a bedroom. I've decided to put in
two bi-fold doors. My challenge: the doors are 48" wide, by my opening
is 51-1/8" wide. I've already installed the trim... maybe a mistake.
Is there a way I can put a cheater board in or something?

Suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks!

Jay

HeyBub[_3_] June 11th 08 02:23 AM

closet opening too wide?

Jay Edgar wrote:
I will be installing closet doors in a bedroom. I've decided to put in
two bi-fold doors. My challenge: the doors are 48" wide, by my opening
is 51-1/8" wide. I've already installed the trim... maybe a mistake.
Is there a way I can put a cheater board in or something?

Suggestions are most welcome.

The easiest thing that comes to mind is, as you say, a "cheater" in the
middle!

RicodJour June 11th 08 02:29 AM

closet opening too wide?

On Jun 10, 9:07 pm, Jay Edgar wrote:
I will be installing closet doors in a bedroom. I've decided to put in
two bi-fold doors. My challenge: the doors are 48" wide, by my opening
is 51-1/8" wide. I've already installed the trim... maybe a mistake.
Is there a way I can put a cheater board in or something?

Suggestions are most welcome.

Remove the casing, resize the jamb, and redo the casing. You'll only
have to buy three longer pieces - the jamb header and the two header
casings. Doing anything else is likely to take as much time and won't
look as good.

In future you might want to consider prehanging the doors, attaching
the outside casings and installing it as a unit.

Mikepier June 11th 08 02:29 AM

closet opening too wide?

On Jun 10, 9:23*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Jay Edgar wrote:
I will be installing closet doors in a bedroom. I've decided to put in
two bi-fold doors. My challenge: the doors are 48" wide, by my opening
is 51-1/8" wide. I've already installed the trim... maybe a mistake.
Is there a way I can put a cheater board in or something?

Suggestions are most welcome.

The easiest thing that comes to mind is, as you say, a "cheater" in the
middle!

You could always put in 2 sliding doors that overlap a bit,

Larry Caldwell June 11th 08 02:58 AM

closet opening too wide?

In article a34b19c0-9a71-4ed4-9fae-
, (Jay
Edgar) says...
I will be installing closet doors in a bedroom. I've decided to put in
two bi-fold doors. My challenge: the doors are 48" wide, by my opening
is 51-1/8" wide. I've already installed the trim... maybe a mistake.
Is there a way I can put a cheater board in or something?

Suggestions are most welcome.

1) Bi-folds don't have to be the same size. You can use one 24" and
one 26", leave 1/2" clear on each side, and you are there.

2) Add a piece of 1"x1-1/2" on the inside of each side of the trim.
Tie this in with the trim that conceals the track.

3) Fire up your router/shaper and make a piece of melding trim that
would add 1-1/2" to each door in the middle. Trim all the edges, and
you won't even be able to tell the doors are bi-fold when they are
closed. Everyone will go "OOOhhh" at the crafty way you concealed all
the cracks, and think you are a creative and crafty fellow.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.