DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Suggestions for cleaning grout (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/252127-suggestions-cleaning-grout.html)

blueman June 3rd 08 06:29 AM

Suggestions for cleaning grout

The grout on our mudroom tile floor has gotten real "dirty" looking
over the years. The tile is a tumbled Carerra marble type.

I would like to clean it and then reseal (using Porous Plus).

Any suggestions on either a good commercial grout cleaner or a
homebrew potion that will remove grime and dirt stains to bring back
more of the original grout color?

Thanks

Oren[_2_] June 3rd 08 08:06 PM

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 05:29:59 GMT, blueman wrote:

The grout on our mudroom tile floor has gotten real "dirty" looking
over the years. The tile is a tumbled Carerra marble type.

I would like to clean it and then reseal (using Porous Plus).

Any suggestions on either a good commercial grout cleaner or a
homebrew potion that will remove grime and dirt stains to bring back
more of the original grout color?

Thanks

For a homebrew; formulate a wet paste with TSP, Trisodium phosphate.
Apply the paste in a small area to test. Allow it to set, nearly dry
and then clean with water.

Your tile is not the same as mine, but TSP is safe and has really
cleaned up some tiles/ grout in the past.

Norminn June 3rd 08 09:44 PM

blueman wrote:

The grout on our mudroom tile floor has gotten real "dirty" looking
over the years. The tile is a tumbled Carerra marble type.

I would like to clean it and then reseal (using Porous Plus).

Any suggestions on either a good commercial grout cleaner or a
homebrew potion that will remove grime and dirt stains to bring back
more of the original grout color?

Thanks

I've used a couple of different brands of terazzo
cleaner/sealer/polish. They are three-step
products and give good results. I believe it is the same product used
for marble, but don't
have any right now to check the label. A tile shop or HD should have
something similar
for marble. Most of my cleaners say "don't use on marble", o/w I would
recommend
Scrubbin Bubbles - great for cleaning the shower tile.