DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Finished Basement: house, drain trap & vent (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/251803-re-finished-basement-house-drain-trap-vent.html)

Roy Starrin May 31st 08 03:38 PM

Finished Basement: house, drain trap & vent

On Fri, 30 May 2008 21:24:56 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
I’m planning to finish my basement, but having difficulty figuring out
what to do with the one wall against which the house drain, vent, and
trap are mounted on.

I do not want to reduce proposed living space to make this part of the
wall into a “utility room.”

I was thinking to make two 4x8 panels and mount them with anchor bolts
at top and bottom in front of these pipes, so that I can remove and
access if needed, and won’t be starring at ugly pipes all the time.

Couple of thoughts:
- Paint the pipes the same color as the wall and see if they
disappear to your satisfaction
- Use some sort of a series of panels that move back and forth
along a track (similar to closet doors in newer homes). I admit the
overhead looks pretty cluttered for that one.
- Since the bottom of the "U" appears to be not more than 32" from
the sill, using eyebolts, hooks, etc., as appropriate, hang a hollow
core door or 2, on edge, from the overhead, outboard of the pipes.
Though it would create a slant, you could easuly work out a system to
cinch the bottom back toward the wall,
- Personally, I'd paint them