Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Slow Basement Drain

My basement drain seems to back up whenever I run the upstairs
dishwasher or leave the water on for too long in the kitchen sink.
The water eventually does drain, but very slowly.

I tried using Drain-O but did not have any luck. We have had quite a
bit more rain than average this spring, could that be the cause, or do
you think it is clogged?

Would it do any good for me to run out and buy a snake? If so, do you
just run the snake down the drain, or do I have to find an access
port?

Any idea how much Roto-Rooter charges?

Thanks,
Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair

lagman wrote:

My basement drain seems to back up whenever I run the upstairs
dishwasher or leave the water on for too long in the kitchen sink.
The water eventually does drain, but very slowly.

I tried using Drain-O but did not have any luck. We have had quite a
bit more rain than average this spring, could that be the cause, or do
you think it is clogged?

Would it do any good for me to run out and buy a snake? If so, do you
just run the snake down the drain, or do I have to find an access
port?

Any idea how much Roto-Rooter charges?

Thanks,
Dan

It is not the floor drain that is clogged; it is the house drain
downstream of the floor drain and kitchen drain.

Where do they meet and how far away is it?? No telling.
Plus...the actual clog could be even further from that junction.

I'm all for DIY, but this one warrants hiring experience, I think.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

You could run out and get a small snake and run it down the drain but these
are often too short or the blade too small for the larger 4" main drain. It
won't cost much and it can't hurt to snake the sinks especially the bathroom
once in a while just for preventative maintenance. Very often this kind of
snaking just pushes debris against the partial clog turning it into a
complete clog requiring immediate attention.

Once that don't pay off you should be able to get a drain cleared for less
than $100. Look for a coupon or an advertized price in the yellow pages.
There are many plumbers who do this not just roro rooter who is probably on
the more expensive side. I payed $79 to have the main drain outside
cleared, an inside drain might be same price.

In many cases the clog will be outside and caused by tree roots. If the
clog is in your yard, you pay. If the clog ends up past the sidewalk, call
the city and they will fix it. There should be a cleanout close to the
house and another close to the sidewalk for suburban single family houses.
Open the cleanout outside and see if the water is standing in there as well,
that will prove an outside clog.

You see the backup in the dain you do because it is the lowest in your
system and the first place for water to come out. Sounds like you are just
a few wads of TP away from a complete clog

"lagman" wrote in message
My basement drain seems to back up whenever I run the upstairs
dishwasher or leave the water on for too long in the kitchen sink.
The water eventually does drain, but very slowly.

I tried using Drain-O but did not have any luck. We have had quite a
bit more rain than average this spring, could that be the cause, or do
you think it is clogged?

Would it do any good for me to run out and buy a snake? If so, do you
just run the snake down the drain, or do I have to find an access
port?

Any idea how much Roto-Rooter charges?

Thanks,
Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

lagman wrote:
My basement drain seems to back up whenever I run the upstairs
dishwasher or leave the water on for too long in the kitchen sink.
The water eventually does drain, but very slowly.

I tried using Drain-O but did not have any luck. We have had quite a
bit more rain than average this spring, could that be the cause, or do
you think it is clogged?

Would it do any good for me to run out and buy a snake? If so, do you
just run the snake down the drain, or do I have to find an access
port?

Any idea how much Roto-Rooter charges?

Thanks,
Dan

I'm presuming your drains are connected to city sewage and not to your
own septic system, but it wouldn't hurt to make that clear to us.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 30, 4:48 pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
lagman wrote:
[...]

It is connected to the city. I assume the problem is somewhere closer
to the house, since the basement drain only backs up when I use the
dishwasher and kitchen sink. I can run any other faucet/toilet in the
house for an hour and no back up.