DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Priming Flashing (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/251701-priming-flashing.html)

BillGill May 30th 08 03:18 PM

Priming Flashing

I just had my roof replaced. There is one place where the new flashing is
up against the wood siding. I need to paint it white to match the rest of the
house. What is the best primer for the flashing?

Bill

Joe May 30th 08 06:11 PM

Priming Flashing

On May 30, 9:18*am, BillGill wrote:
I just had my roof replaced. *There is one place where the new flashing is
up against the wood siding. *I need to paint it white to match the rest of the
house. *What is the best primer for the flashing?

Bill

Hard to beat RustOleum on metal.

Joe

David Nebenzahl May 30th 08 06:35 PM

Priming Flashing

On 5/30/2008 10:11 AM Joe spake thus:

On May 30, 9:18 am, BillGill wrote:
I just had my roof replaced. There is one place where the new flashing is
up against the wood siding. I need to paint it white to match the rest of the
house. What is the best primer for the flashing?

Hard to beat RustOleum on metal.

Yes, or any good *oil-based* primer.

Remember the importance of prep. Be sure to clean the metal before
painting. Vinegar is good, as it slightly etches the surface to make the
paint adhere better.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill

ransley May 30th 08 06:58 PM

Priming Flashing

On May 30, 9:18*am, BillGill wrote:
I just had my roof replaced. *There is one place where the new flashing is
up against the wood siding. *I need to paint it white to match the rest of the
house. *What is the best primer for the flashing?

Bill

What, copper, galvanised, aluminum, rust oleum oil will not work best
on galvanised.

BillGill May 30th 08 07:39 PM

Priming Flashing

ransley wrote:
On May 30, 9:18 am, BillGill wrote:
I just had my roof replaced. There is one place where the new flashing is
up against the wood siding. I need to paint it white to match the rest of the
house. What is the best primer for the flashing?

Bill

What, copper, galvanised, aluminum, rust oleum oil will not work best
on galvanised.

It is supposed to be galvanized. I don't expect they would have changed.

Bill

Jim Elbrecht May 30th 08 07:59 PM

Priming Flashing

On Fri, 30 May 2008 10:58:39 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On May 30, 9:18*am, BillGill wrote:
I just had my roof replaced. *There is one place where the new flashing is
up against the wood siding. *I need to paint it white to match the rest of the
house. *What is the best primer for the flashing?

Bill

What, copper, galvanised, aluminum, rust oleum oil will not work best
on galvanised.

They call it Tremclad- but it is a Rustoleum product;
http://rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm...t_id=545&SBL=5
"Specially formulated to provide adhesion when topcoating galvanized
metal "

Point made, though, is 'use the right primer.'

Jim

ransley May 30th 08 08:06 PM

Priming Flashing

On May 30, 1:39*pm, BillGill wrote:
ransley wrote:
On May 30, 9:18 am, BillGill wrote:
I just had my roof replaced. *There is one place where the new flashing is
up against the wood siding. *I need to paint it white to match the rest of the
house. *What is the best primer for the flashing?

Bill

What, copper, galvanised, aluminum, rust oleum oil will not work best
on galvanised.

It is supposed to be galvanized. *I don't expect they would have changed..

Bill

Are you sure it not aluminum