Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing - lavatory drains

I have two back-to-back bathrooms. Their lavatories are also
back-to-back, and the same distance from the side wall. If I run the
faucet in bathroom A while the P-trap in bathroom B is open (waiting for
a repair part), the water from sink A will run out of the open trap in
bathroom B. Is this normal?

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

If they are installed with a "cross" or "X" fitting in the wall, likely
water will gush across the opening and come out the open trap on the other
side of the wall.

"Ray K" wrote in message
I have two back-to-back bathrooms. Their lavatories are also back-to-back,
and the same distance from the side wall. If I run the faucet in bathroom A
while the P-trap in bathroom B is open (waiting for a repair part), the
water from sink A will run out of the open trap in bathroom B. Is this
normal?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray K wrote:

I have two back-to-back bathrooms. Their lavatories are also
back-to-back, and the same distance from the side wall. If I run the
faucet in bathroom A while the P-trap in bathroom B is open (waiting for
a repair part), the water from sink A will run out of the open trap in
bathroom B. Is this normal?

yes
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray K wrote:
I have two back-to-back bathrooms. Their lavatories are also
back-to-back, and the same distance from the side wall. If I run the
faucet in bathroom A while the P-trap in bathroom B is open (waiting for
a repair part), the water from sink A will run out of the open trap in
bathroom B. Is this normal?

Back-to-back fixtures are plumbed into a
Double Sanitary Tee, like this one:
http://tinyurl.com/44wyvs

(not necessarily this size one...)

Under low flow conditions, waste might not
cross over, but a sudden draining of the basin
might spill some out.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 May 2008 16:43:05 -0400, Ray K
wrote:

I have two back-to-back bathrooms. Their lavatories are also
back-to-back, and the same distance from the side wall. If I run the
faucet in bathroom A while the P-trap in bathroom B is open (waiting for
a repair part), the water from sink A will run out of the open trap in
bathroom B. Is this normal?

Yes, especially if there is a lot of water draining in sink A.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the pipes are sized and vented properly this should not happen even
though it can. In your case, the open P trap is lower than the basin so it
is certainly more likly than otherwise. In fact, the bottom of the P trap
is lower than the connection to the drain, the flow may be inevitable,
there's no uphill, just a short 2" hop across the pipe.

You may want to just run a snake down the drain from both sides just to make
sure there is no partial obstruction slowing the flow and waiting to clog.
Good idea to do this once a year or so with bathroom drains. hair and
personal products clog drains fast and bath sink drains are often only 1.5"

"Ray K" wrote in message
I have two back-to-back bathrooms. Their lavatories are also back-to-back,
and the same distance from the side wall. If I run the faucet in bathroom A
while the P-trap in bathroom B is open (waiting for a repair part), the
water from sink A will run out of the open trap in bathroom B. Is this
normal?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-05-29, Speedy Jim wrote:

Back-to-back fixtures are plumbed into a Double Sanitary Tee, like
this one:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/28...Double_San_Tee

I thought they had to use a "double fixture fitting", slightly
different than a double sanitary tee. Like this one:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/36...le_Fixture_Tee

Cheers, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-05-29, Speedy Jim wrote:

Back-to-back fixtures are plumbed into a Double Sanitary Tee, like
this one:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/28...Double_San_Tee

I thought they had to use a "double fixture fitting", slightly
different than a double sanitary tee. Like this one:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/36...le_Fixture_Tee

Cheers, Wayne

Good call, Wayne. Thanks.

back to my buggy whips...

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-05-29, Speedy Jim wrote:

Back-to-back fixtures are plumbed into a Double Sanitary Tee, like
this one:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/28...Double_San_Tee

I thought they had to use a "double fixture fitting", slightly
different than a double sanitary tee. Like this one:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/36...le_Fixture_Tee

Cheers, Wayne

Good call, Wayne. Thanks.

back to my buggy whips...

Jim

Flogging a dead horse, here's an interesting discussion
of double Tee's and the application of the 2006 Code requirements:
http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17788

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-05-29, Speedy Jim wrote:

Back-to-back fixtures are plumbed into a Double Sanitary Tee, like
this one:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/28...Double_San_Tee

I thought they had to use a "double fixture fitting", slightly
different than a double sanitary tee. Like this one:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/36...le_Fixture_Tee

Cheers, Wayne

That would certainly prevent the problem. The house was built in 1969,
so maybe it wasn't required back then.

modest amounts of water running in the other sink from simply turning on
one faucet. In other words, I didn't fill one sink then try to empty it
quickly by raising the popup suddenly.

Now that the p-trap is reconnected, all is working properly.

Thanks to all who responded.

Ray