Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need a 4" opening in my roof

Hi,

I am installing a exhaust fan in a bathroom and the only way out for
the vent is through the roof. Can you point me to a resource that
describes how to do that? I assume it's more complicated than putting
some caulk around the edge... My roof is asphalt shingles.

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I am installing a exhaust fan in a bathroom and the only way out for
the vent is through the roof. Can you point me to a resource that
describes how to do that? I assume it's more complicated than putting
some caulk around the edge... My roof is asphalt shingles.

Really?

When I had my roof re-done a few years ago the roofers took out the dryer
vent (which went straight up from the center of the house), decked over the
spot and put down shingles. I didn't realize the dryer was venting into the
attic until some time later.

Anyway, I was faced with the same conundrum as you and was reluctant to put
another hole in the roof.

I opted for about 30' of 6" PVC to run the vent to the closest soffit.

Here's a trick: Go UP into the attic about two or three feet, then a
continuous slope downward to the soffit. That way, most of the fumes that
condense will drain downhill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 11:10�pm, Red Green wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote in news:b674085b-dfdf-4bda-bf0a-
:

Hi,

I am installing a exhaust fan in a bathroom and the only way out for
the vent is through the roof. Can you point me to a resource that
describes how to do that? I assume it's more complicated than putting
some caulk around the edge... My roof is asphalt shingles.

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron

This link is to a bath vent kit you can get at the borg (aka HD or Lowes).
The spec and installation sheet is available from this page.

http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?ProductID=2471

i would try hard to vent it thru a eve or gable, the roof can cause
future leaks
Posted to alt.home.repair

As soon as that hot, humid air is chilled by the cold in the attic, it
will
become condensate and return to the fan.
I say take flexible line almost immediately toward the nearest eave,
and after making the angle, transition to 4" Schedule 40, with a
little
bit of slope, and then at the eave, change back to flexible to go
through
the soffit.
And put a 2x4 under the Schedule 40, propped up to maintain the
slope,
or the PVC will sag from attic heat in the summertime.

On May 27, 2:24 am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I am installing a exhaust fan in a bathroom and the only way out for
the vent is through the roof. Can you point me to a resource that
describes how to do that? I assume it's more complicated than putting
some caulk around the edge... My roof is asphalt shingles.

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 May 2008 15:10:47 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

If, that is, you can even get their. I must have one of the few
houses in the world that doesn't have four inches of clearance between
the top of the wall and the roof deck. The hole in the roof isn't a
big deal; this is roofing, not rocket science.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

Ah, okay. You can't go up and over. Could you maybe go down and exhaust the
dryer into the sewer system? There's got to be a drain for the washer.

It's a JOKE, son.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

On May 27, 11:10�pm, Red Green wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote in
:

Hi,

I am installing a exhaust fan in a bathroom and the only way out
for the vent is through the roof. Can you point me to a resource
that describes how to do that? I assume it's more complicated than
putting some caulk around the edge... My roof is asphalt shingles.

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron

This link is to a bath vent kit you can get at the borg (aka HD or
Lowes).

The spec and installation sheet is available from this page.

http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?ProductID=2471

i would try hard to vent it thru a eve or gable, the roof can cause
future leaks

Most roof leaks are indeed caused by roofs :-)

Yea I know what you mean though. I've never had anything leak so far that
I've done - stacks, vents, plywood replacement, chimney flashing, wall
flashing, and an entire 26sq roof with combos of everythig including
valleys. With someone not too familiar with roofs, improper vent install
(aka this outta be good enuf, or I didn't know that) is always a
possibility. Also, just walking on a roof not knowing to look for nail
pops, especially where you are stepping, can cause leaks.

Running out a gable can be much safer. But they still have to be aware of
things like maximum code length, bends subtract from OA length, length
reduces airflow, make sure there are no sags to collect moisture,
insulating the hose may be necessary, and so on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

On May 27, 11:10�pm, Red Green wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote in
:

Hi,

I am installing a exhaust fan in a bathroom and the only way out
for the vent is through the roof. Can you point me to a resource
that describes how to do that? I assume it's more complicated than
putting some caulk around the edge... My roof is asphalt shingles.

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron

This link is to a bath vent kit you can get at the borg (aka HD or
Lowes).

The spec and installation sheet is available from this page.

http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?ProductID=2471

i would try hard to vent it thru a eve or gable, the roof can cause
future leaks

BTW, you mean [eave] below the soffit? No concerns about the warm moist air
rising and rotting the soffit over time?
Posted to alt.home.repair

When I installed a composting toilet many years ago, part of the
instructions included insulating the 4" PVC pipe. To help prevent
condensate return, since the pipe went straight up and out.

On May 28, 12:03 pm, Chris Hill wrote:

If, that is, you can even get their. I must have one of the few
houses in the world that doesn't have four inches of clearance between
the top of the wall and the roof deck. The hole in the roof isn't a
big deal; this is roofing, not rocket science.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 1:10 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

Here are a couple reasons you don't want to do this.
For more, do a search on "attic dryer vent" and maybe add mold.
There is a reason that venting the dryer, bathroom, or anything else
directly into the attic is a code violation.
Worst case, you could lose your roof--and I've read of it happening in
only a few years.

http://www.remasinspections.com/imag...omVentMold.jpg

http://www.insightinspectionsllp.com...s/Im001811.jpg