Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I keep robins from pecking at my window/pooping on my deck?

Every spring right through to the end of the summer I have a robin or two
that love to peck at my windows. They start about 5:30 in the morning and
come back every hour or two. Very very irritating!

In years past I have been very tolerant of the bird spit on my windows, but
this year the robin is crapping all over the deck. It / they sit on the
window sill and crap there and on the deck and sit on the railing and crap
on it and the deck. Also I can't even park my car in the driveway near the
deck because they or it craps all over that too. I really can't believe how
much crap comes out of these things

I know it has a nest under the deck so in the fall I am going to clear it
out and screen in the ledges under the deck so the can't come back next
year, but I need to keep them off my deck this year because it is
ridiculous. What can I do to keep them away from the deck and stop them
from pecking on my windows and crapping on my car?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jordan" wrote in message
news
[...]

I had that with Cardinals when I lived in Florida. I was told that the
females see the reflection of another bird in the window and think it's a
threat to their offspring. The only way to get rid of this is to dull the
reflection of the glass. Either use a glass wax that fogs the window or like
I did, a plastic drop cloth covering the window. Looks like hell but we were
able to sleep after that. The following year the birds nested elsewhere so
I didn't have that problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jordan" wrote in message
news
[...]

Pardon my being "bad" and then I will offer a real suggestion or two. Clear
the $200 worth of junk out of the garage and park your 20K plus auto in the
garage where it and the gas it contains belongs and will be safe. I am
constantly amazed at the people who treasure junk more than their cars.

The only times I have ever know birds to peck at a window is if the window
harbors tasty insect morsels OR the bird can see its own reflection and
wants to kiss. The insects may be the easier of the two problems to solve.
A board with nails driven all the way through placed on the ledge may
discourage landing. A single strand of mono-filament line stretched from
one side to the other may do the same. Something strong enough to trip them
and not strong enough to support their weight.

They same method will discourage landing on a deck rail.

A fake owl placed where they can see it may also scare them away.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On May 26, 9:01*pm, "Jordan" wrote:
[...]

How good of a shot are you with a pellet gun
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Jordan" wrote:

I know it has a nest under the deck so in the fall I am going to clear it
out and screen in the ledges under the deck so the can't come back next
year, but I need to keep them off my deck this year because it is
ridiculous. What can I do to keep them away from the deck and stop them
from pecking on my windows and crapping on my car?

Find the nest and feed the eggs/chicks to a cat, then get some .22
birdshot for the parents. Anyone have a good recipe for robins?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Jordan" wrote:

Every spring right through to the end of the summer I have a robin or two
that love to peck at my windows

I'm a bleeding heart animal lover, but after being woken up every single
morning for a month, I went out and shot the ******* with a BB gun. It
was only one bird doing it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

clean em and cook em like little chickens, the bush years have been lean
for me to say the least

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nick hull" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"Jordan" wrote:

I know it has a nest under the deck so in the fall I am going to clear it
out and screen in the ledges under the deck so the can't come back next
year, but I need to keep them off my deck this year because it is
ridiculous. What can I do to keep them away from the deck and stop them
from pecking on my windows and crapping on my car?

Find the nest and feed the eggs/chicks to a cat, then get some .22
birdshot for the parents. Anyone have a good recipe for robins?

They make a good gumbo.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 8:01 pm, "Jordan" wrote:
[...]

The most fun would be an electric fence charger connected to a wire on
the window ledge + a well grounded wire directly next to it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt,

Sometimes people need to park in the driveway because they don't want
to wake the whole house on days they need to leave for work at 6:00
instead of 7:00.

Boy do I wish my 10 year old car was still worth $20,000, but then
again I would have to start bringing it to the car wash regularly
again instead of once a year like I have for the past 5 years

Jordan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jordan wrote:
[...]

Here's an idea outside the box - or rather inside the box.

Find a three-sided aquarium. They hang out near apartment dumpsters.

Line the three remaining sides with reflective foil. Fashion a lid.

Mount the contraption in the window. Open lid. Put in bird-seed. Close lid.

Birdies will now come into your breakfast room, or wherever you've mounted
the gizmo, to have their meal and you can enjoy them up close. With a
suitable hole in the lid, you can even shoot the little *******s.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
"Jordan" wrote:

Every spring right through to the end of the summer I have a robin or
two that love to peck at my windows

I'm a bleeding heart animal lover,

Yea me too Smitty. But I don't believe head lice have rights :-)

but after being woken up every
single morning for a month, I went out and shot the ******* with a BB
gun. It was only one bird doing it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jp jp is offline

On May 26, 9:01*pm, "Jordan" wrote:
[...]

buy a fake owl. This will scare them away. If possible, try to find
one with a moving head, Good luck henry penta