DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Kitchen Wiring (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/251319-kitchen-wiring.html)

AT[_4_] May 26th 08 03:24 PM

Kitchen Wiring

When I on the Microwave or Toster oven, I get a noise crackling sound
out of the GFCI switch outlet, with a smoky smell.

Request to confirm, what is the probable problem and potentail
solution to resolve the same.

Thanks.

Tony Hwang May 26th 08 03:50 PM

Kitchen Wiring

metspitzer wrote:
On Mon, 26 May 2008 07:24:18 -0700 (PDT), AT
wrote:

When I on the Microwave or Toster oven, I get a noise crackling sound
out of the GFCI switch outlet, with a smoky smell.

Request to confirm, what is the probable problem and potentail
solution to resolve the same.

Thanks.

The first thing I would try is change the GFCI.

Hmmm,
B4 that, investigate for loose connection. Stab connection is
always troublesome.

LouB May 26th 08 03:53 PM

Kitchen Wiring

wrote:

When I on the Microwave or Toster oven, I get a noise crackling sound
out of the GFCI switch outlet, with a smoky smell.

Request to confirm, what is the probable problem and potentail
solution to resolve the same.

Thanks.

The first thing I would try is change the GFCI.

Might be a loose connection in the GFCI outlet.

Lou

RBM[_2_] May 26th 08 04:06 PM

Kitchen Wiring

wrote:

When I on the Microwave or Toster oven, I get a noise crackling sound
out of the GFCI switch outlet, with a smoky smell.

Request to confirm, what is the probable problem and potentail
solution to resolve the same.

Thanks.

The first thing I would try is change the GFCI.

If you're hearing crackling, kill the circuit and remove the outlet, my
guess is the rest will be self-explanatory

aemeijers May 26th 08 04:07 PM

Kitchen Wiring

wrote:

When I on the Microwave or Toster oven, I get a noise crackling sound
out of the GFCI switch outlet, with a smoky smell.

Request to confirm, what is the probable problem and potentail
solution to resolve the same.

Thanks.

The first thing I would try is change the GFCI.

Hmmm,
B4 that, investigate for loose connection. Stab connection is
always troublesome.

Sure, look, but as long as you have it apart, change the GFCI anyway.
They're cheaper than a fire, and if if has already made funny noises and
released some of the magic smoke that all electrical devices contain, it
is probably damaged anyway. Stuff that can kill you is not the place to
try and save ten bucks.

--
aem sends...

AT[_4_] May 26th 08 04:19 PM

Kitchen Wiring

wrote:

When I on the Microwave or Toster oven, I get a noise crackling sound
out of the GFCI switch outlet, with a smoky smell.

Request to confirm, what is the probable problem and potentail
solution to resolve the same.

Thanks.

The first thing I would try is change the GFCI.

Hmmm,
B4 that, investigate for loose connection. Stab connection is
always troublesome.

Sure, look, but as long as you have it apart, change the GFCI anyway.
They're cheaper than a fire, and if if has already made funny noises and
released some of the magic smoke that all electrical devices contain, it
is probably damaged anyway. Stuff that can kill you is not the place to
try and save ten bucks.

--
aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

should one replace by 15 amps or 20 amps switch

Anthony Diodati May 26th 08 04:25 PM

Kitchen Wiring

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hmmm,
B4 that, investigate for loose connection. Stab connection is
always troublesome.

What Tony Said.
Tony

Anthony Diodati May 26th 08 04:29 PM

Kitchen Wiring

SNIP
"AT" wrote in message
Sez...................

should one replace by 15 amps or 20 amps switch

15 0r 20 amp GFCI *Outlet* depends on size of wire going to (feeding) it.
#14 gets 15 Amp
#12 gets 20 Amp.
Most likely is already a 20 Amp with #12 wire feeding it.
Tony

RBM[_2_] May 26th 08 04:58 PM

Kitchen Wiring

"Anthony Diodati" mrbreezeet1NO wrote in message
SNIP
Sez...................

#14 gets 15 Amp
#12 gets 20 Amp.
Most likely is already a 20 Amp with #12 wire feeding it.
Tony

That's not correct. 15 amp duplex outlets have 20 amp pass through buss and
are fine to use on 20 amp circuits, which all kitchen counter outlets should
be.

Anthony Diodati May 26th 08 05:34 PM

Kitchen Wiring

"RBM" wrote in message

" That's not correct. 15 amp duplex outlets have 20 amp pass through buss
and are fine to use on 20 amp circuits, which all kitchen counter outlets
should be.

Yes, that's true, "My Bad"
I guess I was thinking of breakers.
In any case, "RBM" is correct, and I stand corrected.
Tony

Tony Miklos June 1st 08 03:44 AM

Kitchen Wiring

Red Green wrote:
AT wrote in news:63d2764f-d90c-44fa-b26d-784305d2c462
@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

When I on the Microwave or Toster oven, I get a noise crackling sound
out of the GFCI switch outlet, with a smoky smell.

Request to confirm, what is the probable problem and potentail
solution to resolve the same.

Thanks.

I bet it's an electrical problem.

No way. It's hard water, or maybe the HOT water heater.