Posted to alt.home.repair

Default This is supposed to be an election where all the votes are counted,not a Madonna concert !

There are only two plausible choices in this election, given the
climate, the character and the tumultuous times we are living in. It
will either be President Clinton or President McBush. This is an
election where all the votes should be counted, it is not about
staging the biggest rally money can buy in Tampa, to claim victory
after a pathetic voter tally in Kentucky. This is an election, not a
Madonna concert, get real, get serious, cut the stage production and
count all the votes.

http://surftofind.com/obama
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 7:16*pm, tobetbaa wrote:
There are only two plausible choices in this election, given the
climate, the character and the tumultuous times we are living in. It
will either be President Clinton or President McBush. This is an
election where all the votes should be counted, it is not about
staging the biggest rally money can buy in Tampa, to claim victory
after a pathetic voter tally in Kentucky. This is an election, not a
Madonna concert, get real, get serious, cut the stage production and
count all the votes.

http://surftofind.com/obama

In the game of life there are few 'do overs'. Florida and Michigan
were warned of the consequences, did it anyhow and now they want a 'do
over'...well actually, a whiney, crying bitch wants a 'do over'.

I do not want a presidenct who is incapable of recognizing a loseing
position...to say nothing of her stated goals "nuke Iran" indeed!

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/21/2008 7:39 PM Harry K spake thus:

I do not want a presidenct who is incapable of recognizing a loseing
position...to say nothing of her stated goals "nuke Iran" indeed!

Yes; thank you for that.

The problem being, of course, that none of the 3 candidates really
differ at all w/respect to attacking Iran, which is apparently the next
irrational* imperative of the (dying) American Empire, but whatever.

*Or not: I think Noam Chomsky has it right when he says that such things
are, basically, to show 'em who's the boss.

As in, "how did our oil get under your land?".

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:

In the game of life there are few 'do overs'. Florida and Michigan
were warned of the consequences, did it anyhow and now they want a 'do
over'...well actually, a whiney, crying bitch wants a 'do over'.

Not for Democrats. Usually.

Republicans are generally "rule oriented." Democrats are generally "goal
oriented."

Republicans tend to accept the end if it follows the stated rules, Democrats
tend to adjust the rules to accomplish the desired results.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 5:46*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Harry K wrote:

In the game of life there are few 'do overs'. *Florida and Michigan
were warned of the consequences, did it anyhow and now they want a 'do
over'...well actually, a whiney, crying bitch wants a 'do over'.

Not for Democrats. Usually.

Republicans are generally "rule oriented." Democrats are generally "goal
oriented."

Republicans tend to accept the end if it follows the stated rules, Democrats
tend to adjust the rules to accomplish the desired results.

Right. Just consider their 'super delegates' who can overrule
whatever the voters decide. Why have primaries at all if they don't
count?

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
On May 22, 5:46 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Harry K wrote:

In the game of life there are few 'do overs'. Florida and Michigan
were warned of the consequences, did it anyhow and now they want a
'do over'...well actually, a whiney, crying bitch wants a 'do over'.

Not for Democrats. Usually.

Republicans are generally "rule oriented." Democrats are generally
"goal oriented."

Republicans tend to accept the end if it follows the stated rules,
Democrats tend to adjust the rules to accomplish the desired results.

Right. Just consider their 'super delegates' who can overrule
whatever the voters decide. Why have primaries at all if they don't
count?

Because of the "Madness of Crowds." The Super-Delegate business was put in
to temper the frenzy of the easily excited electorate following Gene
McCarthy's nomination. It was thought that seasoned professionals - cooler
heads, if you will - could prevail.

Obama, for example, maintains that the Super Delegates should follow the
will of their home states. But when Clinton won West Virginia 65-35%, Obama
didn't decline the support of Harry Byrd.

Which brings up another interesting idea: A Klansman supporting a Negro. Is
this a great country or what?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Obama, for example, maintains that the Super Delegates should follow the
will of their home states. But when Clinton won West Virginia 65-35%, Obama
didn't decline the support of Harry Byrd.

Which brings up another interesting idea: A Klansman supporting a Negro. Is
this a great country or what?

Heck the leader of the group that tried to stop the Voting Rights Act
of '65 supporting an AA. Didn't want him to be able to vote at the time,
but wants to vote FOR him. Is this a great country or what?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Default still a waste of time.

It's still a waste of time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Harry K wrote:

In the game of life there are few 'do overs'. Florida and Michigan
were warned of the consequences, did it anyhow and now they want a 'do
over'...well actually, a whiney, crying bitch wants a 'do over'.

Not for Democrats. Usually.

Republicans are generally "rule oriented." Democrats are generally "goal
oriented."

Republicans tend to accept the end if it follows the stated rules, Democrats
tend to adjust the rules to accomplish the desired results.

Boy is this a pile. The republicraps are the ones who are ignoring the law and
the constitution when it suits their purposes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

Boy is this a pile. The republicraps are the ones who are ignoring the law
and
the constitution when it suits their purposes.

The only differences between the wingnuts on both sides is the number
of the amendment they think is expendable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

Republicans tend to accept the end if it follows the stated rules,
Democrats tend to adjust the rules to accomplish the desired results.

Boy is this a pile. The republicraps are the ones who are ignoring
the law and the constitution when it suits their purposes.

I've heard this before. Usually regarding the folks at Guantanamo and always
by people who have only rudimentary understandings about the Constitution
they say is being trashed.

1. The constitutional rights that are said to be being violated are those
that apply to criminals (i.e., "In all criminal prosecutions, the accused
shall enjoy the right to a speedy trial...").

2. The people being detained by the military are not criminals. They have
broken no criminal law nor have they been arrested. They are "unlawful enemy
combatants" (UEC) and not entitled to the constitutional protections
afforded criminals: no lawyer, no trial, no indictment by a grand jury, no
witnesses, nada. Neither are they POWs. They fall into the same group as
spys, saboteurs, guerrillas, fifth-columnists, and other nasties caught on
the battlefield. They are not protected, nor even mentioned, by the Geneva
Conventions on War nor any of the similar protocols. Our nation's UEC was
Major Andre, who was hanged by George Washington.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

2. The people being detained by the military are not criminals. They have
broken no criminal law nor have they been arrested. They are "unlawful enemy
combatants" (UEC) and not entitled to the constitutional protections
afforded criminals: no lawyer, no trial, no indictment by a grand jury, no
witnesses, nada. Neither are they POWs. They fall into the same group as
spys, saboteurs, guerrillas, fifth-columnists, and other nasties caught on
the battlefield. They are not protected, nor even mentioned, by the Geneva
Conventions on War nor any of the similar protocols. Our nation's UEC was
Major Andre, who was hanged by George Washington.

Actually they are mentioned in the Geneva Conventions. I always get a
kick out of people who suggest that the UEC should be treated according
to the GC. The GC authorizes summary execution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

2. The people being detained by the military are not criminals. They have
broken no criminal law nor have they been arrested. They are "unlawful
enemy
combatants" (UEC) and not entitled to the constitutional protections
afforded criminals: no lawyer, no trial, no indictment by a grand jury, no
witnesses, nada. Neither are they POWs. They fall into the same group as
spys, saboteurs, guerrillas, fifth-columnists, and other nasties caught on
the battlefield. They are not protected, nor even mentioned, by the Geneva
Conventions on War nor any of the similar protocols. Our nation's UEC was
Major Andre, who was hanged by George Washington.

Actually they are mentioned in the Geneva Conventions. I always get a
kick out of people who suggest that the UEC should be treated according
to the GC. The GC authorizes summary execution.

I can't seem to find that section, now. I might have it confused with
something else, so I'll withdraw the comment until I find some time to
look at it more in depth. We now rejoin the flame fest already in
progress.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Fri, 23 May 2008 07:09:47 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Bob F wrote:

[...]

The Bush administration CLAIMS that's what they are. That does not
make it so.

Yes it does. The President, or his representative, has the sole authority to
designate anyone an "unlawful enemy combatant." This ability cannot be
gainsaid by the courts or anyone else. Courts have ruled on this very issue
to the extent that the courts say "we have no ability to authority to say
anything about how the President exercises his Article II powers."

One appellate court in New York even went so far as to say (paraphrasing):
"If the citizens don't like how the President is exercising his Article II
powers, they are free to replace him at the next election. That is the only
remedy available."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

2. The people being detained by the military are not criminals. They
have broken no criminal law nor have they been arrested. They are
"unlawful enemy combatants" (UEC) and not entitled to the
constitutional protections afforded criminals: no lawyer, no trial,
no indictment by a grand jury, no witnesses, nada. Neither are they
POWs. They fall into the same group as spys, saboteurs, guerrillas,
fifth-columnists, and other nasties caught on the battlefield. They
are not protected, nor even mentioned, by the Geneva Conventions on
War nor any of the similar protocols. Our nation's UEC was Major
Andre, who was hanged by George Washington.

Actually they are mentioned in the Geneva Conventions. I always get
a kick out of people who suggest that the UEC should be treated
according to the GC. The GC authorizes summary execution.

I think the conventions and protocols define "lawful enemy combatant" as
someone who evidences four specific requirements: 1) Wears a uniform or
distinctive regalia, 2) Carries arms openly, 3) Has a defined chain of
command, and 4) Conducts themselves according to the rules of war. Any other
combatant is, by definition, an "unlawful enemy combatant," and our U.S.
Supreme Court says they can be executed out-of-hand. (U.S. v Quinn).

There are provisions in the conventions for dealing with non-combatants
captured on the battlefield: Medical personnel, construction workers,
transport drivers, and others who may be aiding a war effort as well as
exceptions for hastily-organized militias. But other combatants, spys,
guerrillas, saboteurs, and the like, by any other name, are "unlawful."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Bob F wrote:

Not for Democrats. Usually.

Republicans are generally "rule oriented." Democrats are generally
"goal oriented."

Republicans tend to accept the end if it follows the stated rules,
Democrats tend to adjust the rules to accomplish the desired results.

Boy is this a pile. The republicraps are the ones who are ignoring
the law and the constitution when it suits their purposes.

Huh?

Warrentless searches, torture, habius corpus,.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote...
Nate Nagel wrote:
clifto wrote:
You really do hate the laws that protect us, don't you?

You mean allowing the President to lie and get away with it is making
me safer? I don't think so.

What you or I believe or what you or I think is irrelevant. What can be proven
is all:

There's an interesting timeline on terroristic activities available. It
concludes with:

2004
There were no successful attacks inside the United States or against American
interests abroad.

2005
There were no successful attacks inside the United States or against American
interests abroad.

2006
There were no successful attacks inside the United States or against American
interests abroad.

2007
There were no successful attacks inside the United States or against American
interests abroad.

2008
So far, there have been no successful attacks inside the United States or
against American interests abroad.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archive.../05/020600.php

Someone forgot to look at Iraq and Afganistan. Plenty of terrorist attacks on
American interests there.

See, that's why allowing the President to tell the truth and get away with
it aggravates Nate so badly, because it obviously is making him safer.

--
"On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes
- and I see many of them in the audience here today - our sense of patriotism
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Bob F wrote:

Not for Democrats. Usually.

Republicans are generally "rule oriented." Democrats are generally
"goal oriented."

Republicans tend to accept the end if it follows the stated rules,
Democrats tend to adjust the rules to accomplish the desired results.

Boy is this a pile. The republicraps are the ones who are ignoring
the law and the constitution when it suits their purposes.

Huh?

Warrentless searches, torture, habius corpus,.....

Janet Reno was fired when Bush took office.