Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Goodman HVAC???

Has anyone here ever heard of the Goodman brand of HVAC? My nephew is
looking at units, and his friend sells Goodman units. Me personally, I never
heard of 'em. Any feedback? Thanks, Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

mark wrote:

Has anyone here ever heard of the Goodman brand of HVAC? My nephew is
looking at units, and his friend sells Goodman units. Me personally, I never
heard of 'em. Any feedback? Thanks, Mark

They're pretty well known. There's this thing called Google you might try.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mark wrote:
Has anyone here ever heard of the Goodman brand of HVAC? My nephew is
looking at units, and his friend sells Goodman units. Me personally,
I never heard of 'em. Any feedback? Thanks, Mark

Goodman is a basic good equipment. It doesn't have all the bell and whistles
but do you really need them.
--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CJT" wrote in message
mark wrote:

Has anyone here ever heard of the Goodman brand of HVAC? My nephew is
looking at units, and his friend sells Goodman units. Me personally, I
never heard of 'em. Any feedback? Thanks, Mark

They're pretty well known. There's this thing called Google you might
try.

Ya, heard about that Google thing. I was in here when the kid called and
wanted to post the query before I forgot.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

mark wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message

mark wrote:

Has anyone here ever heard of the Goodman brand of HVAC? My nephew is
looking at units, and his friend sells Goodman units. Me personally, I
never heard of 'em. Any feedback? Thanks, Mark

They're pretty well known. There's this thing called Google you might
try.

Ya, heard about that Google thing. I was in here when the kid called and
wanted to post the query before I forgot.

Like the other guy said, I think they're generally considered a
basic/economy brand. I've got one here, and it has served me well.
Some HVAC installers bad mouth them, probably (IMHO) because they
have a lower margin than some of the more heavily advertised brands.
They were definitely cheaper than the others when I was looking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 8:17*pm, "mark" wrote:
Has anyone here ever heard of the Goodman brand of HVAC? *My nephew is
looking at units, and his friend sells Goodman units. Me personally, I never
heard of 'em. Any feedback? Thanks, Mark

There was an 8 year or so poll by Consumer Reports of maybe 35000,
Goodman came in a solid Last Place by a good margin, Get the review
online.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mark" wrote in
:

Has anyone here ever heard of the Goodman brand of HVAC? My nephew is
looking at units, and his friend sells Goodman units. Me personally, I
never heard of 'em. Any feedback? Thanks, Mark

Builders grade. Basic. They work. That of course is, just as any brand, if
they are sized correctly for the particular home. I've seen old ones around
as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair
gc gc is offline

Some of the people that I've talked with said Goodman should be avoided if
possible. They said that their quality is variable and that they've seen
more failures from them than the big brands. I have nothing to back this up
of course ... it's just what I've heard.

"mark" wrote in message
Has anyone here ever heard of the Goodman brand of HVAC? My nephew is
looking at units, and his friend sells Goodman units. Me personally, I
never heard of 'em. Any feedback? Thanks, Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

They used to be known as Janitrol. They were so bad, people called
them Junkatrol. But they've cleaned up their act and taken the name of
the parent company Goodman. They have a good warranty now and it's a
decent brand. But they are priced cheaper to gain back some market
share. If you Google, you'll see a lot of posts regarding problems
with ignitors. That's true. But, if you dig deeper, you'll find that
everybody had problems with ignitors back then. Lennox had a huge
problem with their electrostatic ignitor. You'd have to have a service
guy clean the electrode every year before heating season or it
wouldn't fire up. These days, most manufacturers use ceramic hot
surface ignitors and the majority of the problems are gone.

But you have to keep in mind that the big name brands only sell to
certain dealers. So, unless you're a Lennox "dealer," you can't buy
that brand. To become a dealer you have to sell X number of units per
year and agree not to sell any other competing brands. But every major
manufacturer has a "no-name" brand to compete price-wise.

For example, York has the Luxaire brand. Carrier has the Bryant brand.
So, if you're an idenpendent heating guy that isn't a dealer for the
big names, you install those no-name brands and the Dealers take pot
shots at you. The Goodman brand is carried by Ferguson, a nationwide
wholesaler to the plumbing/heating/AC trade.

If you buy it, make sure you read the warranty registration. If you
register online within 20 days of installation and it's installed by a
pro, you get a longer warranty.

On Tue, 20 May 2008 20:17:46 -0500, "mark" wrote:

Has anyone here ever heard of the Goodman brand of HVAC? My nephew is
looking at units, and his friend sells Goodman units. Me personally, I never
heard of 'em. Any feedback? Thanks, Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"mark" wrote in message
Has anyone here ever heard of the Goodman brand of HVAC? My nephew is
looking at units, and his friend sells Goodman units. Me personally, I
never heard of 'em. Any feedback? Thanks, Mark

I have it in one of my units. My HVAC contractor was pushing it to save a
few $$ - more profit for him. Goodman is JUNK, I have not used that
contractor again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 6:45�am, Frank wrote:
"mark" wrote in message

Has anyone here ever heard of the Goodman brand of HVAC? �My nephew is
looking at units, and his friend sells Goodman units. Me personally, I
never heard of 'em. Any feedback? Thanks, Mark

I have it in one of my units. My HVAC contractor was pushing it to save a
few $$ - more profit for him. Goodman is JUNK, I have not used that
contractor again.

A old friend taught HVAC at the technical school I attended. Now
largely retired he did HVAC contracting too. He is 75

He HIGHLY recommends goodman and heres why........

he other brands like Lennox Trane etc use lots of OEM parts.

Parts only avilable from the furnace manufacturer, patended parts. at
their price, and they choose when to make it no longer available
obsolete, or raise the price so high so you will buy a new furnace

When the furnace maker has a problem you are screwed, no other source
for parts.

Goodman uses off the shelf commonly availble parts like ignitors that
can be bought from multiple sources. so you arent tied to any one
source.

realtives of mine had goodmans installed 18 years ago, and were very
pleased. Attendeed a wedding over the weekend reception at beautiful
home along river. New in laws for us.

Anyhow saw the goodman AC they report being very happy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 7:23*am, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
* * On a little different note, remember that sizing and installation is 75%
of the job. *No matter how good the hardware is, if it is not properly
installed and sized, it will not perform properly.

"mark" wrote in message

Has anyone here ever heard of the Goodman brand of HVAC? *My nephew is
looking at units, and his friend sells Goodman units. Me personally, I
never heard of 'em. Any feedback? Thanks, Mark

--
Joseph Meehan

*Dia 's Muire duit

Yes to do it right he needs a load calculation and a good installer.
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Frank wrote:

"mark" wrote in message

Has anyone here ever heard of the Goodman brand of HVAC? My nephew is
looking at units, and his friend sells Goodman units. Me personally, I
never heard of 'em. Any feedback? Thanks, Mark

I have it in one of my units. My HVAC contractor was pushing it to save a
few $$ - more profit for him. Goodman is JUNK, I have not used that
contractor again.

You need to be more specific if you expect to be credible. What went
wrong with it? At what age? How much did the repair cost?

Mine was installed in 1999 and continues to purr along without issues.

That your contractor didn't pass any savings along to you is an issue
with HIM, not Goodman. Maybe he didn't do a very good installation,
either, which could certainly cause problems with the unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 2:04 pm, CJT wrote:
Frank wrote:
"mark" wrote in message

Has anyone here ever heard of the Goodman brand of HVAC? My nephew is
looking at units, and his friend sells Goodman units. Me personally, I
never heard of 'em. Any feedback? Thanks, Mark

I have it in one of my units. My HVAC contractor was pushing it to save a
few $$ - more profit for him. Goodman is JUNK, I have not used that
contractor again.

You need to be more specific if you expect to be credible. What went
wrong with it? At what age? How much did the repair cost?

Mine was installed in 1999 and continues to purr along without issues.

That your contractor didn't pass any savings along to you is an issue
with HIM, not Goodman. Maybe he didn't do a very good installation,
either, which could certainly cause problems with the unit.

We had a Goodman installed in 1992 and it was still working fine when
we replaced it last summer. I know people say bad things about them
but we never had any problems with it.. only reason we replaced it
was we needed a new air handler and it seemed wiser to just get both
at the same time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed 21 May 2008 05:04:16a, told us...

On May 21, 6:45�am, Frank wrote:
"mark" wrote in message

[...]

We've had Goodman HVACs in two homes, including our current home. We have
never had a problem, and they have worked efficiently. Goodman's are made
by York Corp., one of the old manufacturer's of cooling equipment in the
business.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 05(V)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu 22 May 2008 04:54:40a, Bubba told us...

On May 21, 6:45�am, Frank wrote:
"mark" wrote in message

[...]

You're a retard. Goodman is made by Goodman in Texas. Not by York.
Go smoke another one.
Bubba

FOAD

Our compressor unit has both Gooodman and York on the engraved metal plate.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 05(V)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 May 2008 20:03:51 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On May 20, 8:17*pm, "mark" wrote:
Has anyone here ever heard of the Goodman brand of HVAC? *My nephew is
looking at units, and his friend sells Goodman units. Me personally, I never
heard of 'em. Any feedback? Thanks, Mark

There was an 8 year or so poll by Consumer Reports of maybe 35000,
Goodman came in a solid Last Place by a good margin, Get the review
online.

Goodman is number one seller in America. That means they sell more
than anyone else. I would expect a halfass poorly executed poll of
consumers would indicate more complaints even though their equipment
failure rate was better than the others.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 15 Jun 2008 07:46:49a, Duff2 told us...

wrote:

On May 20, 8:17*pm, "mark" wrote:
Has anyone here ever heard of the Goodman brand of HVAC? *My nephew is
looking at units, and his friend sells Goodman units. Me personally, I
never heard of 'em. Any feedback? Thanks, Mark

There was an 8 year or so poll by Consumer Reports of maybe 35000,
Goodman came in a solid Last Place by a good margin, Get the review
online.

Goodman is number one seller in America. That means they sell more
than anyone else. I would expect a halfass poorly executed poll of
consumers would indicate more complaints even though their equipment
failure rate was better than the others.

We have had two Goodman units in two different homes with nary a problem.
Both hve also cooled well and efficiently.

35000 out of the probable many more thousands that are sold is hardly a
poor recommendation.

Consumer Reports is often full of crap anyway. It is rare that I agree
with their assessment of products after I've done my own research.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 06(VI)/15(XV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mark" wrote in
:

Has anyone here ever heard of the Goodman brand of HVAC? My nephew is
looking at units, and his friend sells Goodman units. Me personally, I
never heard of 'em. Any feedback? Thanks, Mark

Goodman has been around a long time and many units are installed here in
NC. That also means parts are plentiful and service for them is widely
available and competitive.

All units will eventually crap out. When and how frequently is what
everyone wants to know. The attraction is the initial pricing, Gotta
remember, some people swear by Fords and some by Chevy's. Depends on your
personal experience.

I just had a 2.5 tom Goodman gas pack installed in a 30+ year old place
with the original split AC/furnace system. Ductwork was also installed.
I've worked with the AC company for years and have grown to trust his 25+
years as an owner.Was told the existing ductwork was poorly designed for
flow and that even with a new unit airflow would be poor. He's not
hurting for business and has never recommended this at other places I've
rebuilt.

We've had a heat was from the beginning of June till jst a couple of days
ago where temps were running daily 98-100. A 1250 sf home with a 14ft
cathedral ceiling. Ductwork in crawlspace. The hottest part of the day
(and unit is in direct sun at this time) it pushes a 22 degree
differential. Other times the differential has been 25-27 degrees,

So, up front, I'm happy with the Goodman and with the HVAC company work.
I won't be here to see have it works over time but if the new owner
changes the filter religiously the first of every month like I do, spends
the 75 bucks a year to have it checked out and doesn't pile **** around
it outside, I bet the damn thing will die after me.