DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Torque setting lawn mower head bolts (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/250271-torque-setting-lawn-mower-head-bolts.html)

[email protected] May 16th 08 03:45 PM

Torque setting lawn mower head bolts

I have a Murray lawn mower (No instruction manual) with a 6HP, B&S
engine, from which I removed the head, so as to put a Helicoil insert
in the stripped out plug hole.

The information on the engine cowling is:-

Model = 12H802

Type = 3172-B1

I would appreciate it if someone would either, tell me what the torque
value for the head bolts should be, or, point me to a place where I
might find that info?

TIA

Lewis.

*****

Eric in North TX May 16th 08 04:59 PM

On May 16, 9:45 am, " wrote:
I have a Murray lawn mower (No instruction manual) with a 6HP, B&S
engine, from which I removed the head, so as to put a Helicoil insert
in the stripped out plug hole.

The information on the engine cowling is:-

Model = 12H802

Type = 3172-B1

I would appreciate it if someone would either, tell me what the torque
value for the head bolts should be, or, point me to a place where I
might find that info?

TIA

Lewis.

*****

Or you could just use 3 finger pull on a relatively short ratchet.

The Reverend Natural Light May 16th 08 09:35 PM

On May 16, 11:59 am, Eric in North TX wrote:

Or you could just use 3 finger pull on a relatively short ratchet.

Surely a torque wrench would give better results.

Personally, I'd just take a guess (30 ft/lbs?) and make sure they're
consistent. Having all the bolts torqued evenly is most important.

BobK207[_2_] May 16th 08 11:06 PM

On May 16, 7:45*am, " wrote:
I have a Murray lawn mower (No instruction manual) with a 6HP, B&S
engine, from which I removed the head, so as to put a Helicoil insert
in the stripped out plug hole.

The information on the engine cowling is:-

Model = 12H802

Type = 3172-B1

I would appreciate it if someone would either, tell me what the torque
value for the head bolts should be, or, point me to a place where I
might find that info?

TIA

Lewis.

*****

I would suggest a visit to the B&S website.

Or a call to a B&S service center.

Or knowing the bolt size & receiver material you could get close to
the correct torque.

My guess in is the 15 to 20 ft lb range but verify

cheers
Bob

Oren[_2_] May 16th 08 11:35 PM

Torque setting lawn mower head bolts

On Fri, 16 May 2008 15:06:17 -0700 (PDT), BobK207
wrote:

On May 16, 7:45*am, " wrote:
[...]

My guess was 12 -15 ft lbs.