Old May 16th 08, 08:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do you clean your wet/dry vacuum cleaner filter?

I've been using a soft plastic brush to clear out the big stuff then
using my household vacuum to clear out the fine particles. Anyone have
a different technique?

Old May 16th 08, 01:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 5:07*am, buffalobill wrote:
On May 16, 3:54 am, wrote:

I've been using a soft plastic brush to clear out the big stuff then
using my household vacuum to clear out the fine particles. Anyone have
a different technique?

buffalo ny: depending on the suction and size of filter an old
pillowcase held in place around the filter with a heavy rubber band
may make cleanup easier if dry vac. on one of mine there is a washable
cylinder of spongy material for wet vac.
different makes and models may have washable replacement filters
available.

I beat mine against a stone wall outside. It seems to do a good job
of dislodging everything. Mine is a Craftsman Wet/Dry Vac by the
way. The filters are made of paper-type material.
Old May 16th 08, 03:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I've been using a soft plastic brush to clear out the big stuff then
using my household vacuum to clear out the fine particles. Anyone have
a different technique?

First, buy a fresh new filter. Then pick up some "fine filter bags" to
install inside your shop vac. You will rarely, if ever, need to clean the
filter, and the bags make it much easier to dump the debris when the vac is
full.

Before I started using the filter bags, my shop vac filter would clog up
frequently with sawdust and other fine dust. I would take it outside and
beat off as much as I could, but it just clogged up again the next time I
used it (putting additional strain on the vac motor).

Anthony
Old May 16th 08, 03:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 3:54 am, wrote:

I've been using a soft plastic brush to clear out the big stuff then
using my household vacuum to clear out the fine particles. Anyone have
a different technique?

buffalo ny: depending on the suction and size of filter an old
pillowcase held in place around the filter with a heavy rubber band
may make cleanup easier if dry vac. on one of mine there is a washable
cylinder of spongy material for wet vac.
different makes and models may have washable replacement filters
available.

I beat mine against a stone wall outside. *It seems to do a good job
of dislodging everything. *Mine is a Craftsman Wet/Dry Vac by the
way. *The filters are made of paper-type material.

Toss it really high in the air and let it crash to the ground about 15
ft away. Repeat numerous times.

Dust blows away and you're not standing in it like you would be if you
banged it against the wall.

On occasion I'll blast each pleat with a hose to get it really clean
and then let it dry in the sun.

I'm kinda liking the fine filter bag suggested by another poster. I
will look into that.

Old May 16th 08, 03:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

HerHusband wrote:
I've been using a soft plastic brush to clear out the big stuff then
using my household vacuum to clear out the fine particles. Anyone have
a different technique?

First, buy a fresh new filter. Then pick up some "fine filter bags" to
install inside your shop vac. You will rarely, if ever, need to clean the
filter, and the bags make it much easier to dump the debris when the vac is
full.

Before I started using the filter bags, my shop vac filter would clog up
frequently with sawdust and other fine dust. I would take it outside and
beat off as much as I could, but it just clogged up again the next time I
used it (putting additional strain on the vac motor).

Anthony

Is this the sort of thing you refer to?

http://tinyurl.com/48pgjw

It looks like it fits over the pleated paper filter with maybe an
elastic top opening.

If so, I'm going to pick some up, thanks.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Old May 16th 08, 04:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 May 2008 00:54:34 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
I've been using a soft plastic brush to clear out the big stuff then
using my household vacuum to clear out the fine particles. Anyone have
a different technique?

If it's paper, replace it.
If not, wash it, running water through it in the direction opposite to the
normal air flow.

Old May 16th 08, 07:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On May 16, 11:35 am, AZ Nomad wrote:

On Fri, 16 May 2008 00:54:34 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I've been using a soft plastic brush to clear out the big stuff then
using my household vacuum to clear out the fine particles. Anyone have
a different technique?

If it's paper, replace it.
If not, wash it, running water through it in the direction opposite to the
normal air flow.

If it's paper, replace it.

Why?

Agree with the question. The paper filters for my Rigid shop vac cost
about $15. Too rich for my blood to just toss them away the first time
they get dirty. (Or the second, third, fourth, etc. for that matter.)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Old May 16th 08, 09:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 11:32*am, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 16, 11:35 am, AZ Nomad wrote:

On Fri, 16 May 2008 00:54:34 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I've been using a soft plastic brush to clear out the big stuff then
using my household vacuum to clear out the fine particles. Anyone have
a different technique?

If it's paper, replace it.
If not, wash it, running water through it in the direction opposite to the
normal air flow.

If it's paper, replace it.

Why?

Agree with the question. The paper filters for my Rigid shop vac cost
about $15. Too rich for my blood to just toss them away the first time
they get dirty. (Or the second, third, fourth, etc. for that matter.)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

I have a few of HEPA filters, too expensive to toss.

I hit them against the inside of our trash bin & then water wash in
the laundry sink with water from the washing machine.

Let dry for a couple days (that's why I have more than one).

This has worked (so far) for dozens of cycles & filters appear to work
as good as new.

cheers
Bob
Old May 16th 08, 11:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Agree with the question. The paper filters for my Rigid shop vac cost
about $15. Too rich for my blood to just toss them away the first time
they get dirty. (Or the second, third, fourth, etc. for that matter.)

I own two. When the one in use is dirty I replace with the other one and
then use a hose with a spray nozel to clean the dirty one. It then goes on
a shelf in the shop and will be dry and ready to use by the time the fresh
one has gotten dirty.