Posted to alt.home.repair
CGB CGB is offline

Default Broken icemaker in my refrig

I have a GE refrig that has an icemaker. For some time now I've had
probems. The water seems to leak down into the freezer compartment rather
than into the cube-sized freezer unit. I get ice in the recepticle tray,
i.e. frozen chunks in the container and ice in the rest of the freezer unit.
My guess is that this is a common problem but I don't know and don't know
what I could do to fix it.

I thought I'd float this by the newsgroup before I called the local
appliance store to get a repair.....$50 to arrive, $65 per hour, etc. etc.

Anyone know of obvious problems I might address before bellying up to a big
repair bill?

Thanks.
Chet

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

Email repairclinic.com and consult with the folks there about getting
ahead of the problem. IIRC, the ice makers are fairly repairable and
you could save some $$ with a little help. Make sure you have some
decent small tools in good shape. Don't attempt a repair with a
rounded over Philips screwdriver and $2 Chinese socket set like too
many people keep in a kitchen drawer. HTH

Joe

Good advice,but how could you say such a thing about the Chinese making
cheap ****. We all know their products are much more superior than ours.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
On May 13, 9:30 pm, "CGB" wrote:
[...]

At http://www.repairclinic.com/0001.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 14, 1:07*am, evodawg wrote:
Joe wrote:

Email repairclinic.com and consult with the folks there about getting
ahead of the problem. IIRC, the ice makers are fairly repairable and
you could save some $$ with a little help. Make sure you have some
decent small tools in good shape. Don't attempt a repair with a
rounded over Philips screwdriver and $2 Chinese socket set like too
many people keep in a kitchen drawer. HTH

Joe

Good advice,but how could you say such a thing about the Chinese making
cheap ****. We all know their products are much more superior than ours.

snip

I think by specifying the price point I also defined the quality.
I have no problems with Chinese goods, but in fact, Taiwanese tools
(like Astro) are a cut above mainland China's offerings. Maybe
products from a freer society are just a tad better. Cheers,

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

I was kidding Joe, I think most **** that comes from China is ****.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair
CGB CGB is offline

That tube is loose. I'm not sure if it needs slid back onto something from
which it might be loose or forward. But, I think you are on the money!

I'm not what sure to do about it, perhaps disconnect it and look for cracks.
I thought it was loose but didn't consider cracks.....it might be worth it
to remove it and see if it's is cracked and if so, find a replacement (?).
If it's loose on where it is supposed to attach, I imagine it might leak.
How do I get it to stay without leaking?

Thanks and thanks to others who have replied.
Chet

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
The refill water comes up the back of the fridge, and then through a
plastic
tube. That tube may be out of place, or cracked.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"CGB" wrote in message
. ..
I have a GE refrig that has an icemaker. For some time now I've had
probems. The water seems to leak down into the freezer compartment rather
than into the cube-sized freezer unit. I get ice in the recepticle tray,
i.e. frozen chunks in the container and ice in the rest of the freezer
unit.
My guess is that this is a common problem but I don't know and don't know
what I could do to fix it.

I thought I'd float this by the newsgroup before I called the local
appliance store to get a repair.....$50 to arrive, $65 per hour, etc. etc.

Anyone know of obvious problems I might address before bellying up to a
big
repair bill?

Thanks.
Chet

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CGB" wrote in message
I have a GE refrig that has an icemaker. *For some time now I've had
probems. *The water seems to leak down into the freezer compartment rather
than into the cube-sized freezer unit. *I get ice in the recepticle tray,
i.e. frozen chunks in the container and ice in the rest of the freezer
unit.
My guess is that this is a common problem but I don't know and don't know
what I could do to fix it.

I thought I'd float this by the newsgroup before I called the local
appliance store to get a repair.....$50 to arrive, $65 per hour, etc. etc.

Anyone know of obvious problems I might address before bellying up to a
big
repair bill?

Thanks.
Chet- Hide quoted text -

It might be as simple as cutting off an inch or so and reattaching it
to the same spot. It may just be stretched out a bit.

BTW - someone suggested trying to watch the device fill the tray. If
it works the same as my unit, it won't run with the door open. Once
the switch for the light closes to turn on the light, the power to the
ice maker is cut off. You have to push the door switch to fool the
unit into thinking the door is closed. Of course, at that point the
light goes off and you can't see the ice maker. g
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On May 14, 8:17 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
The refill water comes up the back of the fridge, and then through a plastic
tube. That tube may be out of place, or cracked.

Agreed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ice makers are probably the first thing that breaks in a refrigerator.
You can remove the ice maker entirely and get additional freezer
space, especially if the refrigerator has some age. The only time I
absolutely required an ice maker was several months following knee
surgery (prescription pain killers made me nauseated, and the doctor
said no aspirin).
Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
Ice makers are probably the first thing that breaks in a refrigerator.
You can remove the ice maker entirely and get additional freezer
space, especially if the refrigerator has some age. The only time I
absolutely required an ice maker was several months following knee
surgery (prescription pain killers made me nauseated, and the doctor
said no aspirin).

How easy is it to get the puppy out?

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 6:00*pm, LouB wrote:
Phisherman wrote:
Ice makers are probably the first thing that breaks in a refrigerator.
You can remove the ice maker entirely and get additional freezer
space, especially if the refrigerator has some age. *The only time I
absolutely required an ice maker was several months following knee
surgery (prescription pain killers made me nauseated, and the doctor
said no aspirin).

How easy is it to get the puppy out?

Lou

Typically it's very easy. No more than a couple of screws that it
hangs on and one connector. As I mentioned before, when the freezer
door is open, the unit gets no power so it won't come on while you're
trying to get it out.

Google the manual for your model fridge and you'll probably find the
instructions for replacing the ice maker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 15, 6:00 pm, LouB wrote:
Phisherman wrote:
Ice makers are probably the first thing that breaks in a refrigerator.
You can remove the ice maker entirely and get additional freezer
space, especially if the refrigerator has some age. The only time I
absolutely required an ice maker was several months following knee
surgery (prescription pain killers made me nauseated, and the doctor
said no aspirin).

How easy is it to get the puppy out?

Lou

Typically it's very easy. No more than a couple of screws that it
hangs on and one connector. As I mentioned before, when the freezer
door is open, the unit gets no power so it won't come on while you're
trying to get it out.

Google the manual for your model fridge and you'll probably find the
instructions for replacing the ice maker.

Good idea, Thanks

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
A good vetrinarian can have a puppy out in under an hour. A refrigerator guy
can have an ice maker out in about a minute. I know..... had a GE ice maker
out today, I was clearing a clogged drain line, and had to pull the ice
maker. Took about a minute to put it back.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message

How easy is it to get the puppy out?

Lou

What the h*ll do vets and puppies have to do with ice makers?

That was a really weird comparison.
Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
: Phisherman wrote:
: Ice makers are probably the first thing that breaks in a refrigerator.
: You can remove the ice maker entirely and get additional freezer
: space, especially if the refrigerator has some age. The only time I
: absolutely required an ice maker was several months following knee
: surgery (prescription pain killers made me nauseated, and the doctor
: said no aspirin).

: How easy is it to get the puppy out?

Replaced mine last weekend, it took about a total of 5 minutes. My fridge
is an Amana and it had 3 screws holding it in, 2 on top 1 on left side
bottom. The hardest part was disconnecting power harness plug from
icemaker (YMMV on this). Good luck, ps the cheapest place I found was an
outfit on ebay, they were almost 50% cheaper than local and most online
places.