Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Screwing Hardie Board

I put my first piece of hardie board down in my bathroom. The problem
have is the screws are not going flush with the hardie board. The
store said to use drywall screws.

I am using a power drill to do the screwing. It's powerful enough to
drill the same screws flush in plywood.

I could countersink but it seems that that hurt the strength of the
board.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I put my first piece of hardie board down in my bathroom. The problem
have is the screws are not going flush with the hardie board. The
store said to use drywall screws.

I am using a power drill to do the screwing. It's powerful enough to
drill the same screws flush in plywood.

I could countersink but it seems that that hurt the strength of the
board.

Do not use drywall screws. There are screws suited specifically for
different types of cement board. There are several types available at Home
Depot depending on the brand of board.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 7:19 pm, "
wrote:
I put my first piece of hardie board down in my bathroom. The problem
have is the screws are not going flush with the hardie board. The
store said to use drywall screws.

I am using a power drill to do the screwing. It's powerful enough to
drill the same screws flush in plywood.

I could countersink but it seems that that hurt the strength of the
board.

Find another store, and buy cement board screws. The might still
stick up just a hair, but this won't be a problem for tile, because
the heads will still be way under the thickness of the thin-set.

The James Hardie website seems to like ring shank nails or 18 gauge
staples for anchoring it down. I always send nails flying trying to
hand nail any fiber cement product.

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner...install-us.pdf

wrote in message
I put my first piece of hardie board down in my bathroom. The problem
have is the screws are not going flush with the hardie board. The
store said to use drywall screws.

I am using a power drill to do the screwing. It's powerful enough to
drill the same screws flush in plywood.

I could countersink but it seems that that hurt the strength of the
board.

Hardie Board Siding questions... [email protected] Home Repair 1 January 31st 08 01:07 AM
clapboard vs hardie steve Woodworking 0 October 20th 06 03:03 PM
Hardie board - painting, nails, caulk Jud McCranie Home Repair 6 April 21st 06 03:36 AM
hardie-board siding -cutting, and other lessons learned [email protected] Home Repair 5 March 26th 06 03:34 AM
hardie products as celiing? effi Home Repair 0 October 8th 04 12:49 AM