Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing seal on garage door

Hello;

I need to replace the seal on my garage door. The seal slides into
two grooves (called "T-ends", I think) on a retainer strip, which is
in turn screwed into the bottom of the garage door.

Right now the screws are screwed in from the bottom, so that the seal
covers the heads of the screws. The seal is easily removable, but I'm
not sure how to insert a new seal. Do I remove the retainer, slide
the seal into the retainer, and then screw the retainer onto the door
with the screws facing the opposite direction (pointed ends towards
seal)?

Or would it be possible to leave the retainer on the door, and slide
the seal onto the retainer from either side of the door (there's about
1 1/2 feet of space on either side)? I don't know if this would be
possible as I'm not sure how these seals are packaged and whether they
need to be fully straightened out in order to slide onto the retainer.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

You're assuming you can still get the flexible seal part separate from the
rigid retaining part. It may be that when you go to the store, you will
find you will need to replace everything as if you were starting with a bare
edge. In any case, the instructions will come with the seal.

As for access, you may be able to remove the bottom two wheels allowing the
bottom panel to swing out slightly (with door 1/2 open) if you have to slide
a long seal into an existing track.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 5:27*pm, "pipedown" wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

[...]

a long seal into an existing track.- Hide quoted text -

Go to sites like www.prodoorsupply.com and order replacement
weatherstripping. Best to cut off a piece of existing WS to be sure
you order the correct width first. WS will pull in/out the side
without removing the track, seal is flexible..