Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can a hip roof be done in tin??

Does anyone know if a hip roof can be done in tin? Specifically the
type of tin that has three ridges lengthwise? At some point in the
next couple of years I'll have to replace the roof on my parents
house, my family will be living in it by then, and I was thinking
about using tin so with routine maintanance I should never have to
replace it again in my lifetime. My biggest concern are the hips??
where the roof planes meet, with shingles you just cut in half and
layer up after you've finished two adjoining sides but what do you do
with a tin roof??

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 1:29*pm, wrote:
snip
They do it all the time in Florida, I am looking out my window at one.
In real life it isn't "tin", it's aluminum or galvanized steel but
that is whaty you are talking about. The metel gets put over a
waterproof membrane that actually does the "dry in" part. The metal
protects the membrane. (at least that is how our code reads) I suppose
some places might allow it directly over felt paper.

How are the ridges of the adjoining roof planes capped?? I just ask
because I can't seem to get a minds eye picture of how this could be
done.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 2:53 pm, " wrote:
How are the ridges of the adjoining roof planes capped?? I just ask
because I can't seem to get a minds eye picture of how this could be
done.

http://www.wesellmetalroofing.com/VC...%201_small.jpg
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 4:18*pm, gpsman wrote:
On May 13, 2:53 pm, " wrote:

How are the ridges of the adjoiningroofplanes capped?? *I just ask
because I can't seem to get a minds eye picture of how this could be
done.

http://www.wesellmetalroofing.com/VC...%201_small.jpg
*-----

- gpsman

Nice picture at least I now know some type of 'tin' roofs have
capping, it does appear to be something other than the type of roofing
'tin' I was asking about.

Just to be clear I'm asking about the kind of 'tin' roofing that comes
in 32 inch width and is in varying lengths that has ridges on both
edges and a ridge in the center. The ridges are what is overlapped
when installing the roof.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in message
On May 13, 4:18 pm, gpsman wrote:
On May 13, 2:53 pm, " wrote:

How are the ridges of the adjoiningroofplanes capped?? I just ask
because I can't seem to get a minds eye picture of how this could be
done.

http://www.wesellmetalroofing.com/VC...%201_small.jpg
-----

- gpsman

Nice picture at least I now know some type of 'tin' roofs have
capping, it does appear to be something other than the type of roofing
'tin' I was asking about.

Just to be clear I'm asking about the kind of 'tin' roofing that comes
in 32 inch width and is in varying lengths that has ridges on both
edges and a ridge in the center. The ridges are what is overlapped
when installing the roof.

Bill

go online and Look up Champion metal. they have a installation manual you
should be able to download. This should give you a good idea of what is
involved. Also your local Lumberyard will have instructions on how to
install and flash a roof