Posted to alt.home.repair

Default question about Hague water softener, and replacement costs

Hello. I am having trouble with my Hague Maximizer Series 93 water
softener. It is working fine, despite being old, but the problem we
are having is that it is regenerating too frequently. It is supposed
to count down (the number being hundreds of gallons left before
regeneration) to zero, then regenerate, but it is counting down a few
hundred gallons (seems to be measuring the water use properly) then it
regenerates long before it ever reaches zero. The company that
installed it can't fix it.

What I want to know is, is there a way to tell it to NEVER regenerate
- we will make it regenerate at the appropriate time? In the manual it
seems like there are only two options - on demand, where it just
regenerates when it thinks it should, or delayed, where you set the
time that it should regenerate.

BTW, this is a residence, not a business - just a small townhouse. The
company that installed it can't figure out how to fix it, and wants us
to replace it - for $2300 installed. That seems insane, considering
that Sears has softeners for $500-$600 and will install for just over
$200. The company that gave us that estimate says the Sears units will
only last 2 or 3 years. That seems unlikely. It doesn't have to be
Sears - I can get a Waterboss 700 delivered to my local hardware store
for about $600 and hire a local plumber to install it. So what gives??

Cathy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cathy wrote:

[...]

Hi,
My ~10 year old SEars unit needed a rpeair kit(gakets, O rings, ect.)
for aobut 30.00 so far. Still works A-OK. I am not familiar with your
unit but sounds like it is not measuring actual water useage. Measuring
mechanism is not workking it seems like.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 11:22 am, Tony Hwang wrote:

unit but sounds like it is not measuring actual water useage. Measuring
mechanism is not workking it seems like.

I of course could be wrong, but it does seem like it's measuring water
use fine because the numbers are counting down correctly (our water
bill indicates we use about 100 gal/day and the numbers are counting
down roughly one/day). Also, the company that serviced it replaced the
part that measures the water and it didn't help. The numbers count
down great, it just doesn't wait til it gets to zero before
regenerating.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 11:25 am, Cathy wrote:
it just doesn't wait til it gets to zero before
regenerating.

Similar problem with this 70s vintage Culligan. I stopped trying to
fix it and just perform a manual regeneration and leave it unplugged
the rest of the time. That's kept it operating fine for over 3
years... so far.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 11:55 am, gpsman wrote:

Similar problem with this 70s vintage Culligan. I stopped trying to
fix it and just perform a manual regeneration and leave it unplugged
the rest of the time. That's kept it operating fine for over 3
years... so far.

It'll work OK unplugged? The regular softening functions don't require
electricity?

Cathy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 12:03 pm, Cathy wrote:
On May 12, 11:55 am, gpsman wrote:

Similar problem with this 70s vintage Culligan. I stopped trying to
fix it and just perform a manual regeneration and leave it unplugged
the rest of the time. That's kept it operating fine for over 3
years... so far.

It'll work OK unplugged? The regular softening functions don't require
electricity?

Mine doesn't.

I found lots of explanations of the method by which the water is
softened, *none* of the actual mechanical process.

It "appears" that my brine is "pumped" through the whammerjammer via
siphon. After a while the brine tank refills and I unplug it.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cathy wrote:
On May 12, 11:22 am, Tony Hwang wrote:

unit but sounds like it is not measuring actual water useage. Measuring
mechanism is not workking it seems like.

I of course could be wrong, but it does seem like it's measuring water
use fine because the numbers are counting down correctly (our water
bill indicates we use about 100 gal/day and the numbers are counting
down roughly one/day). Also, the company that serviced it replaced the
part that measures the water and it didn't help. The numbers count
down great, it just doesn't wait til it gets to zero before
regenerating.

Hi,
Can you reprogram it then? On demand unit is basically regenerate based
on the hardness of water and amount of water used. My unit regenerate ~2
times a week for family of 3 adults with 4 bathrooms. Usually there is
setting for how hard the water is xyz grains something like that in
numbers. Maybe you should try another service outfit. Looks like one you
called is interested in selling you a new one at outrageous price.
My last house had a Culligan unit which lasted ~20 years. Durinn that
time it needed solenoid water valve couple times. When I sold the house
it was still working.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 10:22 am, Tony Hwang wrote:
Cathy wrote:
[...]

Cathy, if it has variable reserve, it may be working as it is supposed
to. Have you ever seen it go to 0 gals before it regenerated?

Most softeners do not have variable reserve, but it is a nice feature.
Most also do not do an immediate regeneration when the meter gets down
to 0 gals remaining, they are delayed until 2 AM but some do instead
of allowing hard water until the next scheduled time of regeneration,
which is usually 2 AM. I sell softeners that do both.

Have you set yours for immediate, if so that will cause your
'problem'? Set it to delayed and make sure the time of day is set
correctly.

Sears and the other big box brands are not near the quality they used
to be 20 years ago. Their longest warranty is 3 years on the resin
tank!

Industry standard softeners with an Autotrol, Fleck or Clack control
valve have 5 years on the control valve and 10 years on the tanks. The
big box brands usually last 2-5 years before they break.

IMO no regular sized residential softener is worth more than $1500
including installation. That would be from a local dealer, online
would be half that including delivery by UPS. A softener is very easy
to install, especially if you already have one.

Gary Slusser
Quality Water Associates
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 8:48 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
=
Can you reprogram it then? On demand unit is basically regenerate based
on the hardness of water and amount of water used. My unit regenerate ~2
times a week for family of 3 adults with 4 bathrooms. Usually there is
setting for how hard the water is xyz grains something like that in
numbers.

Even if I set it to a different hardness that would require less
frequent regeneration, it only counts down 2 or 3 (hundred gallons)
before regenerating. If the hardness setting causes it to show "11"
after regen, I rarely spotted 9 before it regens. If the hardness
setting causes it to show 5 after regen, then I rarely see 3 before it
regens.

Also, WRT Gary, asking about variable reserve, I don't think it has
that. I have never noticed it hit 00 before regen, but I never really
knew how it worked until recently and never paid attention to the
numbers. The manual does say it should count all the way down to zero
before regen.

I am currently trying it set to regenerate when it needs to, NOT at a
certain time, just to see what happens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 11:13 am, Cathy wrote:
[...]

The meter may be bad and not counting gallons correctly. See if you
can find a Hague dealer in your area or call Hague's home office or
check their web site for a dealer near you.

Gary Slusser
Quality Water Associates

Posted to alt.home.repair

bowlesm had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...os-306341-.htm
:
The problem is that someone set switch #2 to the on position. This is
used to force a regen every 96 hours regardless of other settings/use. It
is intended for areas with high iorn to prevent buildup. Find the dip
switches on the computer board bottom and turn #2 off. That will go back
to the usage regen.

Tony Hwang wrote:

Cathy wrote:

[...]

Hague water softener brine tank filling up IrishGuy Home Repair 1 October 24th 08 02:58 AM
Water Softener Question [email protected] Home Repair 3 September 9th 07 08:11 PM
Water Softener Question Bg Home Repair 0 October 21st 06 09:34 PM
Water Softener question Jason Godfrey Home Repair 3 October 6th 04 01:47 PM
Question about water softener AussieResc Home Repair 1 July 16th 04 09:34 PM