Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My garage door shake and sits crooked

I have a couple of garage doors that are about 20 years old in the house I
just purchased. The track do not look like they are loose or anything and
the door openers feel like they are on solid as well. However when the
doors close they visibly rock side to side on their way down and are noisy.
One side or the other ends up having a noticable gap on the bottom when
closed.

My first guess is that they are not balanced correctly because the springs
look pretty new so they must have been replaced at some point recently.
They attach at one end of the cable with a bracket with a bunch of notches
in it to adjust the tension, but I have not had any success playing around
with the tension because I am just guessing.

Is there a procedure for adjusting the tension on the springs so the doors
don't rattle on their way down and so they end up flat when closed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 10:25 pm, "Jordan" wrote:

Is there a procedure for adjusting the tension on the springs so the doors
don't rattle on their way down and so they end up flat when closed?

Check the track mounting brackets first. They can look fine and have
slipped a bit.

Grab the rails and push and pull, hard if you have to. If the rail
moves at all, it's loose.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 May 2008 22:25:10 -0400, "Jordan" wrote:

Is there a procedure for adjusting the tension on the springs so the doors
don't rattle on their way down and so they end up flat when closed?

Not to my knowledge!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Sun, 11 May 2008 22:25:10 -0400, "Jordan" wrote:

Is there a procedure for adjusting the tension on the springs so the doors
don't rattle on their way down and so they end up flat when closed?

Not to my knowledge!

It probably just needs to be taken apart and put back together, all
squared up and with fresh grease, any wear parts replaced, etc. Not
rocket surgery, but experience, training, and the right tools help. I'd
say it is time to get local garage door company in for a service call.
Note that you want the guy with greasy fingernails, not the salesman,
who will try to tell you you need a new door. As long as the tracks
ain't rusted out or bent, and the panels aren't rotted, it is repairable.

--
aem sends...

Crooked garage door jeff37 Home Repair 5 October 26th 07 02:56 AM
Ceiling in garage too low for installling garage door opener [email protected] Home Ownership 6 November 26th 06 03:46 PM
Crooked Dishwasher Door Yates AT Home Repair 2 January 14th 05 01:13 AM