Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door Sensor Failure

Problem:

The problem is that it will not operate properly from remotes but does
go all the way down when the wall mounted button is held down.
The next day, it "may" operate correctly from the remotes.

From your troubleshooting guide I see that :
"c. If door goes down all the way by holding constant pressure
on wall station YOUR BEAMS OR BEAM WIRES ARE THE PROBLEM! "

In that the indicator lights on the beams show correctly and there is
no blockage, is there a way to jumper the indicators to see if they
are faulty ? What do I look for faulty wires ? I have checked and
fund no frayed wires.

Solution

The Factory rep came out after 5 service calls and found that the wire
on the sending unit sensor was curled , like you would wrap around a
pencil looking like a spring. It looked neat but indicated they had
failure issues when the installer did this. He replaced the unit and
all has been OK since.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 6:21*am, " wrote:
Problem:

The problem is that it will not operate properly from remotes but does
go all the way down when the wall mounted button is held down.
The next day, it "may" operate correctly from the remotes.

From your troubleshooting guide I see that :
* * * * "c. If door goes down all the way by holding constant pressure
on wall station YOUR BEAMS OR BEAM WIRES ARE THE PROBLEM! "

In that the indicator lights on the beams show correctly and there is
no blockage, is there a way to jumper the indicators to see if they
are faulty ? What do I look for faulty wires ? *I have checked and
fund no frayed wires.

Solution

The Factory rep came out after 5 service calls and found that the wire
on the sending unit sensor was curled , like you would wrap around a
pencil looking like a spring. It looked neat but indicated they had
failure issues when the installer did this. He replaced the unit and
all has been OK since.

It sounds like the wire that was "looking like a spring" was
essentially a homemade inductor.

http://www.physics.sjsu.edu/becker/p...3_Inductor.JPG

I can imagine how this could screw up the operation of the unit.