Posted to alt.home.repair

Default where's the mower choke?

I just started using a Craftsman II "30ne Plus" lawn mower, which was made
roughly a dozen years ago.

There is no control lever/cable for choke or throttle. There is a lever on the
body, for throttle. Near to that is some device: it has a soft black rubber
covering which is hollow, and shaped approximately like a 1" inverted cup.
There is a small hole in it. I can depress/collapse it, but not pull it. Is
that rubber thing related to a choke? If so, can it be set, or is it somehow
automatic?

Or is choking accomplished merely by setting the throttle lever to the minimum
position? If so, what's that black rubber thing for? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jerry wrote in message ...
I just started using a Craftsman II "30ne Plus" lawn mower, which was

made
roughly a dozen years ago.

There is no control lever/cable for choke or throttle. There is a

lever on the
body, for throttle. Near to that is some device: it has a soft black

rubber
covering which is hollow, and shaped approximately like a 1" inverted

cup.
There is a small hole in it. I can depress/collapse it, but not pull

it. Is
that rubber thing related to a choke? If so, can it be set, or is it

somehow
automatic?

Or is choking accomplished merely by setting the throttle lever to

the minimum
position? If so, what's that black rubber thing for? Thanks.

On mine, the soft black rubber covering is the choke, you have to push
it in and out four or five times before starting the mower.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 3:47*pm, Jerry wrote:
I just started using a Craftsman II "30ne Plus" lawn mower, which was made
roughly a dozen years ago.

There is no control lever/cable for choke or throttle. There is a lever on the
body, for throttle. Near to that is some device: it has a soft black rubber
covering which is hollow, and shaped approximately like a 1" inverted cup.
There is a small hole in it. I can depress/collapse it, but not pull it. Is
that rubber thing related to a choke? If so, can it be set, or is it somehow
automatic?

Or is choking accomplished merely by setting the throttle lever to the minimum
position? If so, what's that black rubber thing for? Thanks.

The black rubber thing is a pump to fill the carb with gas.

If the engine is cold, press and hold it for about 1-2 seconds. Repeat
this 2 more times and then try to start the engine. If it doesn't
start, repeat the process.

Once the engine is warm, you shouldn't need it anymore.

I used to set my lever to full throttle except when mowing over sparse
areas just to prevent kicking up so much dirt. I never used the
throttle lever as a choke.

My 4 year old Toro doesn't have a throttle lever or a choke, just the
pump bulb.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom writes:

Jerry wrote in message ...
[...]

I think that's called a primer.

I've never seen a lawnmower with a manual choke and
I don't think they have automatic chokes. I think the
primer is all they need.

My latest mower doesn't have a throttle either.
Just as well, always ran it full out anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 May 2008 20:17:31 GMT, Dan Espen
wrote:

I've never seen a lawnmower with a manual choke

Sure! Even older pickup trucks had manual chokes. Pull the choke knob
from inside the cab and adjust as the engine warmed up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jerry,

Give Sears a call and buy the owners manual. You'll find the info on your
mower and how to start it there. Be sure to have the model number when you
call.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jerry" wrote in message ...
I just started using a Craftsman II "30ne Plus" lawn mower, which was made
roughly a dozen years ago.

There is no control lever/cable for choke or throttle. There is a lever on
the body, for throttle. Near to that is some device: it has a soft black
rubber covering which is hollow, and shaped approximately like a 1"
inverted cup. There is a small hole in it. I can depress/collapse it, but
not pull it. Is that rubber thing related to a choke? If so, can it be
set, or is it somehow automatic?

Or is choking accomplished merely by setting the throttle lever to the
minimum position? If so, what's that black rubber thing for? Thanks.

The SOB spring loaded flapper; inside the cowling, never failed when I
was first learning to mow a lawn!

Those B&S engine ran to good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"S. Barker" writes:

"Dan Espen" wrote in message

I think that's called a primer.

I've never seen a lawnmower with a manual choke and
I don't think they have automatic chokes. I think the
primer is all they need.

My latest mower doesn't have a throttle either.
Just as well, always ran it full out anyway.

You've never seen a mower with a manual choke? What are you three years
old?

You're rude to strangers and you think I'm 3 years old?

I'm 62.

I know I had a car with a manual choke but can't remember the model.
Mowers, nope. Had lots of mowers too. Some even gas powered.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Dan Espen wrote:
"S. Barker" writes:

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
I think that's called a primer.

I've never seen a lawnmower with a manual choke and
I don't think they have automatic chokes. I think the
primer is all they need.

My latest mower doesn't have a throttle either.
Just as well, always ran it full out anyway.

You've never seen a mower with a manual choke? What are you three years
old?

You're rude to strangers and you think I'm 3 years old?

I'm 62.

I know I had a car with a manual choke but can't remember the model.
Mowers, nope. Had lots of mowers too. Some even gas powered.

Just got off one w/ manual choke. Other one has one, too. Of course,
one's about 40-yrs old, the other "only" about 25 or so...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
"S. Barker" writes:

"Dan Espen" wrote in message

I think that's called a primer.

I've never seen a lawnmower with a manual choke and
I don't think they have automatic chokes. I think the
primer is all they need.

My latest mower doesn't have a throttle either.
Just as well, always ran it full out anyway.

You've never seen a mower with a manual choke? What are you three years
old?

You're rude to strangers and you think I'm 3 years old?

I'm 62.

I know I had a car with a manual choke but can't remember the model.
Mowers, nope. Had lots of mowers too. Some even gas powered.

The mowers with "manual" chokes I've seen used a little higher than full
throttle setting to engage the choke.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Bob F wrote:

The mowers with "manual" chokes I've seen used a little higher than full
throttle setting to engage the choke.

The "new" one here uses that modern innovation, the other two are
separate control levers...

Posted to alt.home.repair

You must be on a different planet then. I'm only 50 and i've never seen a
mower that didn't have a manual choke.

as for rude, maybe. But rude is funny 99.9% of the time.

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
"S. Barker" writes:

"Dan Espen" wrote in message

I think that's called a primer.

I've never seen a lawnmower with a manual choke and
I don't think they have automatic chokes. I think the
primer is all they need.

My latest mower doesn't have a throttle either.
Just as well, always ran it full out anyway.

You've never seen a mower with a manual choke? What are you three years
old?

You're rude to strangers and you think I'm 3 years old?

I'm 62.

I know I had a car with a manual choke but can't remember the model.
Mowers, nope. Had lots of mowers too. Some even gas powered.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan Espen" wrote in message

"S. Barker" writes:

"Dan Espen" wrote in message

I think that's called a primer.

I've never seen a lawnmower with a manual choke and
I don't think they have automatic chokes. *I think the
primer is all they need.

My latest mower doesn't have a throttle either.
Just as well, always ran it full out anyway.

You've never seen a mower with a manual choke? *What are you three years
old?

You're rude to strangers and you think I'm 3 years old?

I'm 62.

I know I had a car with a manual choke but can't remember the model.
Mowers, nope. *Had lots of mowers too. *Some even gas powered.- Hide quoted text -

I'm only 50 and i've never seen a mower that didn't have a manual
choke.

Let's make sure we're making a rye grass to rye grass comparison here.

I'd hazard a guess and say that the vast majority of today's *walk-
behind* mowers do not have manual chokes.

On the other hand, anything that you ride - either stand or sit -
probably does.

Just guessing, don't be rude - errr - I mean funny - with me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"S. Barker" writes:

You must be on a different planet then. I'm only 50 and i've never seen a
mower that didn't have a manual choke.

When you live as long as I have, there will be a lot of things
you've never seen.

as for rude, maybe. But rude is funny 99.9% of the time.

You need those smiley things or it doesn't come across
well on the Internet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Dan Espen wrote:

"S. Barker" writes:

You must be on a different planet then. I'm only 50 and i've never seen a
mower that didn't have a manual choke.

When you live as long as I have, there will be a lot of things
you've never seen.

as for rude, maybe. But rude is funny 99.9% of the time.

You need those smiley things or it doesn't come across
well on the Internet.

I hate those smiley things. I don't smile in real life when I make a dry
humor remark. That kind of spoils the dryness, doesn't it? Let the
stupid people think what they will.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two writes:

In article ,
Dan Espen wrote:

"S. Barker" writes:

You must be on a different planet then. I'm only 50 and i've never seen a
mower that didn't have a manual choke.

When you live as long as I have, there will be a lot of things
you've never seen.

as for rude, maybe. But rude is funny 99.9% of the time.

You need those smiley things or it doesn't come across
well on the Internet.

I hate those smiley things. I don't smile in real life when I make a dry
humor remark. That kind of spoils the dryness, doesn't it? Let the
stupid people think what they will.

I sympathize, but my experience with sardonic comments so far
tells me they just don't work on the Internet.

Oh boy here we go again...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"S. Barker" wrote in message
You must be on a different planet then. I'm only 50 and i've never seen a
mower that didn't have a manual choke.

That's about all that's available now, at least for walk-behind mowers. Not
having a choke/throttle is a positive thing IMO, because there's no control
wire to get snagged on trees or plants. They're pretty much unnecessary
anyhow, since you usually run the mower at whatever speed and leave it there
until it's time to shut down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can only speak for the EXMARK walk behinds that the company i work for
has. They have 17HP Kawasaki engines and they have a manual choke.

And the toro self propelled push mower i personally own has a manual choke.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Let's make sure we're making a rye grass to rye grass comparison here.

I'd hazard a guess and say that the vast majority of today's *walk-
behind* mowers do not have manual chokes.

On the other hand, anything that you ride - either stand or sit -
probably does.

Just guessing, don't be rude - errr - I mean funny - with me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 2:45*am, "S. Barker" wrote:
I can only speak for the EXMARK walk behinds that the company i work for
has. *They have 17HP Kawasaki engines and they have a manual choke.

The devil's in the details. I think for the most part this thread is
about home-owner walk behinds. I don't know of any homeowners that own
17HP walk behinds...but technically you are right.

And the toro self propelled push mower i personally own has a manual choke..

Interesting - what's it vintage?