Posted to alt.home.repair

Default water heater problem

We have a water heater which is mounted on a small (2") stand. We
noticed water pooling up around the base. The cold incoming pipe has
a lot of condensation and we don't see any leaks out of the heater,
but the base if totally filled with water. The area around the
element appears dry. Does anyone have any ideas how we could see if
this is just accumulated condensation and/or clean it out to see if
the tank is actually leaking?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 10:26�pm, Steve B. wrote:
On Wed, 7 May 2008 18:47:17 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
We have a water heater which is mounted on a small (2") stand. �We
noticed water pooling up around the base. �The cold incoming pipe has
a lot of condensation and we don't see any leaks out of the heater,
but the base if totally filled with water. �The area around the
element appears dry. �Does anyone have any ideas how we could see if
this is just accumulated condensation and/or clean it out to see if
the tank is actually leaking?

Remove the water.

Wait to see if the water comes back again.

Condensation would take eons to fill that base. �If it fills up
quickly then you have a leak.

� � � � � � �Steve B.

almost certinally a leak. how old is the heater? you need a new one
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 10:36Â*pm, " wrote:
On May 7, 10:26�pm, Steve B. wrote:

On Wed, 7 May 2008 18:47:17 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
We have a water heater which is mounted on a small (2") stand. �We
noticed water pooling up around the base. �The cold incoming pipe has
a lot of condensation and we don't see any leaks out of the heater,
but the base if totally filled with water. �The area around the
element appears dry. �Does anyone have any ideas how we could see if
this is just accumulated condensation and/or clean it out to see if
the tank is actually leaking?

Remove the water.

Wait to see if the water comes back again.

Condensation would take eons to fill that base. �If it fills up
quickly then you have a leak.

� � � � � � �Steve B.

almost certinally a leak. how old is the heater? you need a new one

its pretty old (before we bought the place, so im guessing around 10
years). I figured it needed replacing, just hoping otherwise. thanks
for the help
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 8:47*pm, wrote:
We have a water heater which is mounted on a small (2") stand. *We
noticed water pooling up around the base. *The cold incoming pipe has
a lot of condensation and we don't see any leaks out of the heater,
but the base if totally filled with water. *The area around the
element appears dry. *Does anyone have any ideas how we could see if
this is just accumulated condensation and/or clean it out to see if
the tank is actually leaking?

A base to contain a leak is supposed to have a hose attatched leading
to a drain so you dont flood your home, but filling the base, or
visable water IS a leak, check fittings, lowering the temp might help,
put a drain hose onto the base and go shopping for a new unit. Since
you have time to shop buy by Energy Factor rating, www.energystar.gov
has all models rated for EF except Condensing units. Most sold are
still inneficient 50-60 EF, a few are 70 and condensing units around
84 EF . For the standard 60 EF only 60 cents of every dollar you spend
is going to heat water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
We have a water heater which is mounted on a small (2") stand. We
noticed water pooling up around the base. The cold incoming pipe has
a lot of condensation and we don't see any leaks out of the heater,
but the base if totally filled with water. The area around the
element appears dry. Does anyone have any ideas how we could see if
this is just accumulated condensation and/or clean it out to see if
the tank is actually leaking?

Condensation is just a few drops and would evaporate, if the base is filled
with water say within a day or two, my bet is a tank leak. Sometimes a tank
leak will leave a rust trail. If you don't have one of those self cleaning
tanks, ten years maybe time for a new one with better energy usage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 9:56*am, ransley wrote:
On May 7, 8:47*pm, wrote:

We have a water heater which is mounted on a small (2") stand. *We
noticed water pooling up around the base. *The cold incoming pipe has
a lot of condensation and we don't see any leaks out of the heater,
but the base if totally filled with water. *The area around the
element appears dry. *Does anyone have any ideas how we could see if
this is just accumulated condensation and/or clean it out to see if
the tank is actually leaking?

A base to contain a leak is supposed to have a hose attached leading
to a drain so you don't flood your home, but filling the base, or
visible water IS a leak, check fittings, lowering the temp might help,
put a drain hose onto the base and go shopping for a new unit. Since
you have time to shop buy by Energy Factor rating, www.energystar.gov
has all models rated for EF except Condensing units. Most sold are
still inefficient 50-60 EF, a few are 70 and condensing units around
84 EF . For the standard 60 EF only 60 cents of every dollar you spend
is going to heat water.

When only 60 cents you mean gas fired?
Cos AFIK electric hot water heaters are 100% except for any heat that
slowly leaks out through the insulated walls of the tank into the
house! And that helps heat the house which is electrically heated
anyway!
When we leave on vacation etc. we turn off the electric tank and also
(just in case of a leak) remove the water pressure. Returning after 2
weeks on one occasion the 'hot' water in the tank was still noticeably
warm; despite being completely off while we gone! So they don't lose
heat very quickly.
Pls. see also separate posting "Using electric hot water tank to heat
small living space".

a different? water heater problem? mm Home Repair 10 April 4th 07 09:11 AM
Water Heater: Slow Heating Of Water Problem. Draining/Flushing Help ? Robert11 Home Repair 9 March 22nd 05 03:28 AM
Water heater problem R.Smyth Home Repair 1 December 11th 04 07:47 AM
Water Heater Problem? Les Home Repair 8 August 18th 04 11:40 PM
Water heater problem ChrisM UK diy 1 June 22nd 04 11:32 PM